Trout Pellets

Joskin

Reaction score
yes It should be pretty accurate as it is a report by Dr Bruno Broughton who is the top fish biologist type man.

M

madpiker

add to that,the fact that tons of sandeels are trawled up to be processed for making pellets,thus upsetting the marine ecology,ie making it harder for fish and seabirds to find food,it`s not very eco friendly is it?

njb51

Reaction score
hmm, interesting.

Is it then right to continue buying trout pellets? It says a balance has to be kept in the lake but if everyone is using pellets, which they pretty much are nowadays, then this must have the adverse effects mentioned.

I'm assuming that this doesn't affect rivers that much as the pellets would be swept over a longer distance therfore thinning down the numbers of pellets in one area.

Does this also go the same for halibut pellets and elips pellets etc??

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Some have a lower oil content than others and aren't as bad

Darren George

Reaction score
I know me and Jason fisher had 'crossed words' in the past about his post about times of year for perch requiring extra thought to decipher, but that is going too far!!! :eek:P

J

jason fisher

Does anyone know how accurate this is?

yes i do i answered the question

J

jason fisher

had he asked the question is this accurate, then i would have replied yes it is.

alan

Reaction score
its was also posted on the anglers-net website, all stuff on there is checked out before being posted.

as Madpiker has posted, your trout pellets are sea fish ground to paste, the fish have no commercial value apart from pellets. it really annoys me to hear about how anglers are conservation minded etc, but use bait that is helping wipe out fish stocks in the sea.

<a target='_new' href="http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a87/aouten/masskill001.jpg">looks<a/> good dosnt it.

B

Bob Shuttleworth

Definitely a moral dilema.

It would be interesting to know what proportion of fishmeal manufactured then goes into making bait (not just pellets, also boilies, groundbait etc).

Doesn't make it right, but I suspect the proportion would be very low.

alan

Reaction score
when its fish like smouthhounds and sandeels most of the fish as they have no food value what so ever, and they end up as bait or food for farmed fish.
i did have all the info somewhere i will see if i can find it again.

alan

Reaction score
hehe, cant link direct to the page. heres what it says.

New study reveals that Scottish aquaculture
is adding to pressure on world fish stocks

A new report, Feeding the Fish, released today (24th September) reveals that fish feed manufacturers are using threatened fish stocks to supply the Scottish aquaculture industry with salmon feed. Scotland is responsible for approximately 90% of all UK aquaculture production and ranks third amongst the world producers of Atlantic salmon, after Norway and Chile.

Salmon need high-protein diets, and depend largely on fish meal and oil from wild ?feed? fish caught by ?feed fisheries? in the North Atlantic and off South America. Three of the world?s largest fisheries are ?feed fisheries?, providing food for farmed fish and livestock, and it is expected that the global demand for fishmeal will increase by 50% to reach 3.45 million tonnes by 2010. There are growing concerns about the impacts of these fisheries on the fish stocks themselves and on the marine food chain, but little real action is being taken to tackle these concerns. While the UK livestock industry is also a major consumer of fishmeal, the share consumed by aquaculture has shown a dramatic increase in recent years. Atlantic salmon farming in Scotland, which represents 95 % of aquaculture production, has increased nearly six-fold since the early 1990s to 176,596 tonnes in 2003, and the industry hopes to expand by a further 16 % by 2010.

?Industrial fish farming is the fastest growing sector of the global food economy and Scotland is one of the largest salmon producers in this market. To feed these quantities of farmed salmon serious pressure is being placed on populations of small feed fish and questions must be raised about the sustainability of the feed fish industry, in particular blue whiting,? said Dr Rebecca Boyd, Joint Marine Programme Officer.

RSPB Scotland and the Joint Marine Programme (JMP), a partnership of WWF Scotland and the Scottish Wildlife Trust, who commissioned the report Feeding the Fish, are calling on the Scottish Executive to work with Scottish feed and fish producers to stop sourcing feed from unsustainable fisheries.

?The long-term future of the aquaculture industry, as well as the health of the marine environment, depends on healthy populations of feed fish. As a major consumer of feed fish, Scotland has an opportunity to market its product on quality credentials and find a solution that does not just plunder the world?s oceans further afield. Sadly, only a tiny proportion of Scottish fish producers refuse to use blue whiting. Industrial feed fisheries are certainly a global issue, but Scotland can?t just stand back and claim it is someone else?s problem?, added Dr Rebecca Boyd, Joint Marine Programme Officer.

Of the top six feed fisheries used by Scotland?s aquaculture industry, blue whiting from the North Atlantic are particularly at risk, with 2.3 million tonnes, four times the recommended safe quota, being caught in 2003. Horse mackerel catches are considered too high to sustain the fishery, while there are serious concerns over the impacts on other fish, seabirds and mammals like whales and dolphins of removing large quantities of Chilean jack mackerel, Peruvian anchovy, capelin and sandeel from the marine food chain.

alan

Reaction score
?Today?s report shows that there are big question marks over the sustainability of fisheries used by Scotland?s aquaculture industry. We strongly urge feed and fish producers to avoid using blue whiting until an international management plan for sustainable fishing is in place. We also need to see action, led by industry and the Scottish Executive, to develop a Scottish fish feed sourcing policy which will see the phase-out of feed from unsustainable fisheries and set a date for sourcing all fish feed from stocks that have been independently-certified by the Marine Stewardship Council or a similarly rigorous method?, said Kara Brydson, Marine Policy Officer for RSPB Scotland.

njb51

Reaction score
do they make these pellets from fish that are being killed specifically for use as course bait? Or are they being made from left overs from fish being used as food for humans?