shops

chubby48

Reaction score
why are all tackle shops such robbing people i think they are disgusting thank god i dont use em

my mate deals in all new tackle an sells all the same stuff at half the price an he makes his profit so what do shops make??????????????/

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
If I ask your mate for a long list of requirements does he ........

Have them in stock?
Take credit cards?
Provide an aftersales service?
Sell maggots ,casters , etc?

will spencer

Reaction score
its not just tackle shops though is it?
why do the little guys like farmfoods,aldi,lidl,et al charge a quid for four pint of milk and the big guns like asda tesco morrisons charge 1.50?
robbing *******s

guest61

Reaction score
why are all tackle shops such robbing people i think they are disgusting thank god i dont use em

my mate deals in all new tackle an sells all the same stuff at half the price an he makes his profit so what do shops make??????????????/

Are we comparing 'Apples with Apples?'

There's a lot involved in setting up a shop; rent, rates, insurance, VAT, wages, stock, energy bills, accountants? - many of the prices that they charge for rods and reels are dictated to them by their suppliers.

Reference 'your mate' what happens when things go wrong? - e.g. Faults or Warranty claims?

I'm not an 'apologist' for any tackle shop, but if 'your mate' has these overheads and still makes his profits, perhaps he should be on the 'Apprentice'.

Mark

---------- Post added at 13:27 ---------- Previous post was at 13:23 ----------

its not just tackle shops though is it?
why do the little guys like farmfoods,aldi,lidl,et al charge a quid for four pint of milk and the big guns like asda tesco morrisons charge 1.50?
robbing *******s

They may sell milk at a low price, its known as a 'loss leader' - pricing such as this gets people through the doors but as the rest of what they sell is of such 'low' quality it can stay there.

Mark

Last edited:

Anjinsan

Reaction score
Swimfeeder 95p
Brown crumb £1.25
Mono £5.00

The chance to get the lowdown on local catches, river conditions, general chit chat. Priceless.

Sean

irfonminnow

Reaction score
The free advice, general chat, and a cuppa are becoming increasingly rare these days.

The bigger shops don't necessarily offer great service.
If you use a small shop which offers the above cherish and support it, even if some prices are a little higher than mail-order.

IM

theartist

Reaction score
How can shops be robbing people, you have a choice, walk out the door and get it cheaper if you can. All business need a mark up on what they sell good luck to them i say.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
And a cuppa Tea!
Sorry, I used to hate the shops around here that served cups of tea to 'regulars'.

There was always a gang of them, usually matchmen, standing by the counter all smoking and drinking tea, cursing and talking tactics and it was intimidating to say the least, even for someone who's been fishing for quite a while. It made the passing customer feel unwelcome and often the proprietor only served you in order to get rid so he could rejoin in the chinwag with the others.

I'm glad to say that, although it's the only one, the local shop now are pleased to pass on advice or are willing to help customer with a tackle choice, they don't encourage the 'gang culture' blocking the counters. It's open and pleasant, but long gone are those days of the 'huddle', thank heavens!

guest61

Reaction score
There was always a gang of them, usually matchmen, standing by the counter all smoking and drinking tea, cursing and talking tactics and it was intimidating to say the least, even for someone who's been fishing for quite a while. It made the passing customer feel unwelcome and often the proprietor only served you in order to get rid so he could rejoin in the chinwag with the others.

Ah yes, Friday afternoon in the local tackle shop, more than once I've had to tell the assembled throng to 'stop the swearing' as my young daughter was with me, I can't say that I've felt intimidated though. There was even a bit of 'inter club needle' at one point but laughing at the 'poor deluded ill informed fool' shut him up.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
First things first.

I pay £1.65 for 4 pints of milk in Tesco's, so if your paying £1 elsewhere your the one being robbed.....:wh

If you want cheap half price tackle i can get your that, and make a profit, few catches.

You would have to pay for post, or call round for it, you wont get maggots, casters, worms and a cup of tea would be 50 pence.

Now for some facts, that some clearly dont understand.

To run a good tackle shop, and not some fart ar*e stall you get at car boots, you need to have a good range of good tackle, plus some of the cheap gear. For that you need space, and to be able to show off your stock, you need to have space to show the stock, and that all costs money.

Then if your a busy shop. you need staff, full and part time.

the shop I helped out at for 3 days a week last year, has 12 full time staff, yes 12. Now each member of staff gets 4 weeks holiday a year, plus public holidays, and that has to be paid for.

Lets take the 4 weeks holiday for a start, that costs the shop £50,000 a year to start with, thats without the part time staff, and the bank holidays, add on your bills, heating, electric Rent,etc, then pay for the stock, it doesn't take much to see why shops have to charge. remember if your the shop owner you haven't got a penny in your own pocket yet.

Then as others have said, you get to know what is going on at the local venue's, handle and see what your buying, and also the banter, and dont forget the bait.

I don't sell tackle for the reasons above, I don't have the place to do it, the money to set it up, but if i did, it wouldn't be cheap, I have to make a living.

Last edited:
Reaction score
And don't forget now the new government is making every employer have to ensure that his/her employees are in a pension scheme and make contributions themselves. (And not to mention the extra 2.5% vat from January)