Return to River Cottage

R

Rob Brownfield

Anyone see this programme on Channel 4. The guy went out and caught a Pike with the help of a Trout river keeper, caught a fish of about 8 pounds, killed it, and cooked it.

Although the keeper did say one or two big pike in the river did it some good, the word, "vermin" was used to describe the Pike...also that they eat ducks, small children etc.

Although he had the keepers permission to remove the Pike, no mention was made of having to have a rod licence (nor in last weeks one where he actually used an eel trap!!)

I just got the feeling that once more Pike were being unfairly treated, and that anglers would be viewed in a bad light...

R

Rob Brownfield

just looked on the Channel 4 website...they mention a license etc...

D

Davy North

I have seen the programme before and wasn't too chuffed at the vermin bit, but at least the river keeper didn't want to kill all the pike.

Not bad for one of Rob's best mates, game anglers, (only joking)

The same presenter Hugh Fernly-Whittinstall (spelling?) caused some who-har in an earlier sereies when he caught and cooked a carp.

R

Rob Brownfield

It was the first time I had seen it...I was a little annoyed...my gf thumped me and told me to shut up about it..lol

D

David Will

Didn't Hugh Firmly whatname cook a Zander,now that is criminal.

J

John Spink

Rob,
What are you whinging about mate....I keep telling you that Pike are yummy!!!I'll come out with you and we can catch a nice little Pikie...Then you can come round to my house for dinner and we can scoff him with some nice chilled chardonnay or something....You would just love it.....Can't recall you getting to upset about those Cod suppers you stuff down your gullet lol....HFW is top dog....Hope he cooks something cute next!!!

R

Rob Brownfield

At least the pike was killed quickly...the poor cod is left to flap around for ages..poor thing...ps..I dont eat fish...!!

R

Rob Brownfield

Oi..Spinker...lol...since when does a Kebab have any animal content!..lol

P

Paul Adams

is the programme you're talking about the one where he serves up the pike in a kind of jelly formation!-scumbag, i would have fried it in batter!
i've been told that perch are extremly good to eat, but i can't say i've tried it yet, anyone tried it.

P

Paul Kendall

Only Perch I've eaten is the Nile variety, floured, spiced and fried - yummy.

Years ago (about 25) we used to eat Pike regularly only ever Jacks though. Had Zander once also .... can't remember what it tasted like.

D

David OLoughlin

I have read some opinions that a freshly caught perch fried in butter taste better than a trout. (The 1st time I heard of this was by a angling writer, who's name I can't remember back in the 70's who unfortunately died in a car accident. Carl I think his 1st name was & I think he did some stuff for Anglers' Mail. Any one remember?)
As many of you will know Pike were more valuable than Salmon back in history - & the way things are now I think that this is still the case in some of the posh resturants down here in London.
The way to eat it, because of the bones, is to make little fish cakes - & the smaller ones are meant to be best.
Never tried myself yet, but if I get the chance in the future I probably will.
I've got some recipies lying around if anyone's interested.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
David Carl Forbes. And perch do taste better than trout.

P

Philip Inzani

Had to post a reply to this thread as just yesterday I saw a young French angler catch a Pike of about 11 pounds, a really really good Pike for many public waters over here and easily his biggest Pike. He did not have a net and asked me to net it for him. before I agreed I asked what he was going to do with it....he looked at me bemused and said "take a photo and return it" I was gobsmacked. I netted it for him, took the photo and watched him carefully return it as promised. Turns out he was studying fish farming at college so obviously they are beginning to get them on the right track
.....I mention it as really if there is hope for the French in this area there is hope for anyone.

D

David OLoughlin

Thanks Graham, it was David. It was from an old Anglers Mail annual that I had in the 70's but unfortunately it got lost. They did a selection of good articles in his memory.
Whilst on the subject there was another selection dedicated to (testing memories here)I think Bill????? who also died that year I think in a RTA as well. I have a feeling that one of the articles was about his favourite fish, Roach. Any ideas?

D

dave shepherd

Many years ago I tried cooking a jack pike,I'd always fancied a tasty esox and all my non fishing friends would always say "oo don't you eat them, I've heard them taste lovely"so into the oven poor old pikey went.I can tell you in all honesty it tasted awful.It came from the fens and tasted very earthy.I should imagine that if it came from a nice clean trout stream and cooked in loads of erbs and grass and bits of things stuffed with whot nots it would taste ok bot put it this way if pike was good nosebag it would be on sale in asda.Now I aaalways say I wont eat them if they wont eat me

D

dave shepherd

Many years ago I tried cooking a jack pike,I'd always fancied a tasty esox and all my non fishing friends would always say "oo don't you eat them, I've heard them taste lovely"so into the oven poor old pikey went.I can tell you in all honesty it tasted awful.It came from the fens and tasted very earthy.I should imagine that if it came from a nice clean trout stream and cooked in loads of erbs and grass and bits of things stuffed with whot nots it would taste ok bot put it this way if pike was good nosebag it would be on sale in asda.Now I aaalways say I wont eat them if they wont eat me.I've heard shark tastes nice