Trotting

mark bruce

Reaction score
I want to have a go at trotting....

whats the best sort of rig to use and is a centre pin reel essential?

J

jason fisher

no a center pin isn't essential and to be honest it would only get in the way to start with,

rig wise, stick float attached top and bottom with rubbers and the shot spaced evenly between the bottom of the float and the hook is a good starting point.

about a number 4 per foot of water,

to start with find a steady flow with the wind coming upstream slightly from behind, then learn to control the float, after this you can move onto more difficult conditions, but don't bother if the wind is pushing into your face, the whole thing will just end up being a pain in the arse.

Fishing Gimp

Reaction score
A stick float is fine if the fish you are after are not too big and the river depth is not above 8-10 foot, ideally less. If on the other hand the river is big and deep then a 'topper' Haskins float with a bulk 2-3ft from the hook is the tool for the job.
If you are going down the inside for bigger Chub and Barbel then a Chubber made by Drennan is the kiddie. The balsa comes into play when the current is strong but not too deep but too much for the 'stick'. Finally a substantial waggler is the right tool for the job if the river is slowish.

There's more to trotting than people realise but once you try it you'll become an addict; i guarantee it!

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Mark,

Go to Technique section. There is a load of trotting articles that I did a while back. Also try "First Class Fishing" in the same section.

If you can find an experienced angler to help you on the bank you will find you progress much quicker.