Halibut Pellets...

E

EC

Took some CCMoores 18mm Halibuts out the freezer last Thursday, glugged them in salmon oil in preparation for a session on the Ribble Friday!

Left them in the bait box, and went again Tuesday night to the dane, said halibuts crumbled when being drilled!

I have glugged them many times before, but frozen them after the initial fishing session, and had no problems with drilling even after re-freezing/defrosting them over and over!

B

Bully

Eddie - I just keep my pellets in an air tight container and they keep fine. Do you really need to freeze?

I can fully imagine them breaking down as mentioned. Cant fully explain but I am sure if the glug has permeated the pellet then when it freezes it may not de-frost properly.

Probably not a perfect analogy, but freeze a ripe tomato, then de-frost. You get a mushy mess!!

If they are glugged I'd just pust them in poly bag, suck the air out and tie up and pop them in a container.

E

EC

The thing is mate, when I have refrozen them after glugging they have been fine!

These were glugged and left in the bait box for a few days!

Ian Whittaker

Reaction score
Can't see any good reason for you to freeze pellets Eddie.If you were to band them on you wouldn't need to drill and could still use the soaked pellets.
I've always drilled hooker pellets and then added flavour and oil,popped them in little screw top pots and carted them round in the bait bucket until they get used up.Theres always a bit of soft edge on them but this doesn't seem to be a problem.

E

EC

I should say I keep all my pellets in a large (big enough for 2 bodies) chest freezer, simply to save space!

B

Bully

Eddie - mis-read. Probably still same reason in that the glug may permeate and break the pellet down ??

However, you seem to say that they are OK if glugged then frozen, so my only thought was permeating and getting warm??

E

EC

Yeah seems so mate. It just goes against 1 or 2 articles I have read regarding sprucing pellets up a bit.

I might email CCMoores and see what they think! No disrespect to them however, their stuff and service is spot on!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Eddie, I drill my pellets before soaking and then store them in a small airtight container that goes with me until they're used up because I too noticed they were inclined to split, not had a problem since. You don't use a great amount of hookers on a session anyway so its not that you spend hours drilling is it?