elastic

Reaction score
Could someone give me an indication of what size fish one should be able to land on the different size elastics. Thats without going into hydro. Thanks

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I used to use number 4's which handled roach perch, and bream to around 2.5 lb comfortably.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Trevor,
The grades vary widely depending of which brand you opt for but as a general guide I'd suggest:

2 - 4 used for silver fish up to about 1lb

4 - 6 used for fish up to 4lb

6 - 8 used for fish up to 8lb

8 - 10 used for fish up to low doubles in clear swims

10 - 14 as above but for swims with snags

14 and above for larger sized carp (mid doubles, but I'd rather use a rod for fish this big)in awkward swims.
I'd only really suggest this is usefull in a match when you want to bully the fish in quickly.

For fish to double figures on my local canal I use a grade 12 if the swim is snaggy but for clear swim use an 8 - 10 is my preference for carp, bream and tench. A grade 2 - 4 will land most of the other fish.

Also the tension the elastic is set at will affect on the performance and always use plenty of lubricant.

Beecy

Reaction score
I'd agree with Baz, I use no4 for most of my silver fishing, its surprising what you can land on no4. I'll use a no6/8 if theres the chance of a bigger bream/tench or if im on a river expecting the odd chub.

I never go higher than an 8, but I do not go to carp ponds.

Fishing Gimp

Reaction score
I tend to only use the pole for carp and can say that Black Hydro with the appropriate pole will handle fish up to 20lb if you don't rush it. Also to be on the safe side set the elastic so that it slowly retracts when the pressure is off.

The match boys use latex 12-14 made by Colmic or Preston but this is ususally to protect their mega expensive poles. And they replace it every couple of months. Hydro although expensive Should last at least a season so in the long run is not that outrageous.

M

michael bracken

i can comfortably land a 10lb carp on a 12 elastic on a match top with the end tip section taken out and elasticated in the second section

Reaction score
Thank you all very much for advice it was most helpfull. Can you explain about hydro elastic then does this give more pulling power or what. ????

Beecy

Reaction score
Trevor, I dont use hydro so am probably not the best person to advise you, but from what i've been told/read hydro gives you more control as by changing the angle at which the elastic leaves the pole you can dictate the length of elastic you have out.

I would recomend you go and whatch a match at a carp pond and see how some of the top match lads use the elastic to land large fish in the quickest time.

L

Laurie Harper

Hydro is hollow and contains some kind of lubricant (which doesn't lubricate the elastic externally - ie. against the inner pole wall). The idea is that, as the elastic stretches, the fluid is compressed and acts hydraulically to increase the pressure you can apply to a running fish, increasing the more the elastic stretches. It can be a bit brutal in the heavier sizes, but it does last a long time and the lighter grades are versatile, beacuse they stretch easily initially but apply more pressure the further it stretches. It's also more difficult to "bottom out" - there always seems to be a bit more in reserve. I prefer latex in heavier grades. It has more stretch and seems to recover faster.

Reaction score
Hi I have decieded to go middle of the road and bought the new middy micro shock core. 5.99 for 3m. it seems quite good will let you all know how I get on when I manage to go fishing next. Once again thanks for all the info.