Gloves

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I hate wearing gloves when I'm fishing but sometimes its just not an option. I've never found anything better than a decent pair of fingerless mitts though they are far from perfect. I'm speaking here of fishing when you are holding a rod eg trotting rather than it sitting on rests or a pod.

Anybody got any recommendations ?

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I've got fingerless and full ones, neoprene, and not one pair is worth their salt. I've also got soem of those waterproof sealskin, are they, and they aren't much better.

Hand warmers are the thing. Bit late to send off for one now for Thursday though.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I have a few pairs, the best by far are the snow bee pair in neoprene.

Just the thumb and forefinger are finger less, great for trotting. You can bait a hook, handle fish, and if you want, pick your nose.

I have had mine a few years now, never let me down. I don't think you will find any pair of fingerless gloves that will keep your hands warm 100%, but the snowbee's are the best i have ever had.

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
The thing with neoprene as far as I can work out is you HAVE to pu them on whilst your hands are warm, and mostly they'll stay warm. Ish. If you put them on whilst they are cold - dont bother, they'll stay cold.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I have tried all sorts of gloves and inevitably end up not wearing them.
Get the vaseline out before you leave, and rub a generous dollop on your hands and rub it in thoroughly.(may take10 minutes) Basically your hands get really cold when they get wet, due to the moisture getting into the pores of your skin
especially packing up wet nets etc.... the vaseline helps to stop skin absorbing water and literally freezing up.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Not just me that thinks they are all pretty poor then ! I have a pair of them Snowbee in my trout bag but I've never worn them in action. I must dig them out.

Simon...I'm far too old to contemplate rubbing vaseline into anything any more:(

waggy

Reaction score
Tesco, brilliant, £7. Even have suede palms to help unhook fish with them on. M/C wash them when done.

waggy

Reaction score
I have tried all sorts of gloves and inevitably end up not wearing them.
Get the vaseline out before you leave, and rub a generous dollop on your hands and rub it in thoroughly.(may take10 minutes) Basically your hands get really cold when they get wet, due to the moisture getting into the pores of your skin
especially packing up wet nets etc.... the vaseline helps to stop skin absorbing water and literally freezing up.
They also get blooming cold if you're on junior aspirin for high blood pressure.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Try rubbing in some deep heat, thats what we used to do on our legs when playing football, works very well, trouble could be the smell on your hands.

irfonminnow

Reaction score
I like the Barbour fingerless mitts - last for ages, and work even when a bit frayed at the edges.
Hands in pockets when not actually fishing.

IM

kevin o connor

Reaction score
Last year, I bought a pair of cycling gloves in aldi. Not sure of the price, but they were fairly cheap. I cut the thumb and first finger off the right one and so far they have not let me down. I still prefer not to wear gloves but when I do, these ones do the trick.:rolleyes:

tortoise100

Reaction score
British army leather gloves that are gortex lined then put a 1" slit down the inside edge of the first finger and down the inside edge of the thumb then you can have the best of both worlds these are what I wear when lure fishing just pop your finger and thumb out when you need to .
I have always taken them off if i get a fish though the slits would let water in .

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
IMHO I suggest a time comes to hold the rod(when float fishing)in intense cold is just pointless.......I go fishing for enjoyment and not to sit with fingers that have gone so numb with cold that baiting the hook becomes impossible!

Personally-and I know some will disagree(like those I saw in Wigan yesterday walking around in shorts!!)-its time to ledger in freezing conditions,which is just as productive much of the time,and keeping warm is easier to achieve.

Similarly,many will disagree with the use of Hand warmers and Foot warmers using chemical sachets but for me(in my 60's!)they are excellent and providing they are used from the begining of the session and NOT to warm up the digits once very cold they make for very comfortable fishing(IMHO)!!

They are not cheap but as I don't fish regularly in extreme cold the cost is not a consideration

The other point,of course,is having hot drinks and for this I take two 1 litre flasks for a five hour session(as the second flask stays hotter than having one big flask!)with milk seperately(which also gives a greater amount of hot water!)and this gives me hot drinks right up to the end of the session!
I have spent much time working on the best arrangement using flasks and this is the best I have come up with......
(I use stainlees flasks well heated with water before final filling......)

ps....Yes,weight is a little more with two flasks but I'd rather do without a bit of tackle than be cold!!

Last edited:

stikflote

Reaction score
To keep drinks hot ,i dont take milk i use the Tyhpoo QT
for those that do not know, its a tea drink thats got milk added ,i do take extra sugar though.

Ive never tried taking hot soup yet, has any one any pointers on that?

richiekelly

Reaction score
i never used to wear gloves just kept my hands in my pockets with a hand warmer,i do wear them now as i have dystonia which makes my hands shake which can look a bit obcene when i have my hands in my pockets.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Used to take Tomato Soup in a flask as a teenager......it was great because Heinz soup is more like a food than a drink so tends to give you that more satisfied feeling after a mug full!!

HOWEVER its a pain to rid the flask of the smell if you want to take tea at a later date AND cold or coolish soup is a lot worse than coolish tea!!

ALWAYS make sure the soup is very hot when filling the flask though......

Gloves....my wife has just bought me a pair of Thinsulate gloves for walking and they are ery warm when belting along BUT maybe not so when sitting in one spot............

chav professor

Reaction score
i know this might sound completely idiotic but I just let my hands get cold - and more often than not my hands warm up on their own volition and they are as warm as sausages - so long as i keep them dry.

cool_duck

Reaction score
A tip that I picked up in Norway last year is that if your hands get cold then to swing your arms together in an up and down motion, thus to mimic the arm action of double gating technique during skiing. This should promote the circulation in the hands and finger tips.