Buying into the Pole phenomenon

J

Jeff Sears

I recently attended a 'teach-in' at Tylers Common in Brentwood and was able to try pole fishing for the first time and really enjoyed it. I am now interested in getting myself a pole. Is it best to get a relatively inexpensive new pole or go for a better quality second hand one.
I only have about ?150 to play with.
Any advice would be gratefully accepted.

P

Peter Morton

Jeff,
go for the best you can get for the money,be careful with 2nd hand poles,check all the joints for wear and cracks,this can be pricey to fix,also check with your tackle dealer to see if spare sections are still available.
Have a look round your local tackle dealers and see what they can do for your budget,don't worry about length,11mtrs is more than enough to start with,and a spare top kit is handy so that you can set up more than one rig.
Angling Centre Derby are doing a deal on a 11mtr Shakespeare Valor 2000 pole with two ready elasticated top three's,a cupping kit and a couple of ready tied rigs for ?158 all in ,this was reviewed in Angling Times in june and was rated as excellent value,they can be reached on 01332 380605.
Hope this will be of some help to you,
Peter.

C

Carp Angler

I agree, you can certainly get a lot of pole for ?150.

I've got an old 10 metre pole, that I bought about 8 or 9 years ago and it cost me ?1500 ! ! ! !
You can buy better than that nowadays for under ?100....

R

Rob Brownfield

My first pole was a Shakespere fibreglass 9 metre job. I landed Tench to 8 pounds on that by mistake. I still have it...20 years later!!!

P

peter webber

Hi Jeff

If your intrested I have a LEEDA Carp Blaster 12.5mtr pole fore sale and with that a 7mtr tele pole & 5mtr tele whip. Plus 2 "V" rollers ( 1 lge & 1 sml ). A 4 leg free standing roller & floats / winders etc.

I don't fish matches like I used to so don't use it and all I want for the lot is ?100.00, if your intrested let me know.

Pete

J

Jeff Sears

Peter,
I am certainly interested.How can I get in touch.

Jeff

J

Jeff Sears

Gents,
Thanks very much for all your advice.
I will bear all you've said in mind before I make any decision.
Be lucky.
Jeff.

P

paul clarke

jeff , best luck with your new venture into pole fishing. i had my best ever fight with a fish on my old 10 metre pole. a 4 1/2 lb tench neatly hooked in the TAIL !!!!! 45 minutes running up and down the military canal in kent. covered about 100 metres of bank in all , mostly around other anglers !!! highly enjoyable , if a little lucky.

L

Les Midwinter

Just got valor pole from a.c.d.good value good starter pole also my first pole
also got good and fast service to boot

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
Whatever you buy, get a pole roller to go with it, otherwise you will either give up in disgust or go and buy one anyway.