shuttlecock flies

M

michael bracken

hi all

i have recently started tying my own flies, i have got a decent begginers book from the library but there is just one thing that the book doesnt show, and that is how to use CDC to create a shuttlecock sort of hackle, i can do parachute hackles but not shuttlecock

if anybody can give me some advice on how to do it i will be very grateful

NT

Reaction score
I failed to find another site showing the tying. Its simplier than parachutes - use a buzzer / lightweight grub hook and tie on your body. Take 6 or more CDC feathers and tie in with the stalks pointing towards the eye. You can fold over the CDC to get the right length. Tie in the thorax such as peacock herl. and then fold over the CDC and tie in and finish the fly.

These sit nicely in the surface film and work very well - I have a great black buzzer one with white CDC that really works...
hope this helps. Neil

K

Keith Orange

There's a DVD by Oliver Edwards which shows him tying a shuttlecock fly - in fact it's the renowned F fly designed by a Slovenian, and named after him.

I find that C d C flies are ok until they sink or are taken by a trout. They then are very difficult to dry out before the next cast. If you try floatant such as gink, it clogs the flues together and makes the flies sink.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Very true Keith. I find CDC flies very over rated. Most of my drys are tied in a very traditional way, well ginked up with a degreased leader.

Most anglers I see struggling to catch on drys do not go to the trouble of making their leaders sink.

M

michael bracken

ok everyone thanks alot for the information :p

ron, i keep trying to tell my grandad to sink his leader, but he wont have it, lol
and he wonders why i catch more than him

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Keep it up Michael.

When I was your age I could take any of the old guys apart when it came to fly fishing......... :eek:)

M

michael bracken

i sure will :p

but thanks to my grandad i fly fish, he got me lessons with a fly casting champion :p