Zed Fever

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Have you got it, or are you likely to catch, zed fever?

I'm one of the growing band of anglers who have never caught a zander but would very much like to.

I love pike fishing and I know I'll love zander fishing. I just wish we had them in greater numbers closer to where I live in Staffordshire.

I hope to catch my first one this year, but in a way I dread it because I know I'll want more!

Articles like Chris's don't help one bit - if you're trying to resist them!

Anybody else not caught one yet, but wants to? And if so, where are you going to try for them?

D

David Will

I think Zed fishing is brilliant.They are fairly reliable and if the travelling wasn't so far I would do a lot more.I have yet to catch a double but a friend has had a few which spurs me on, but any size they are great.The Fens has to be the place to catch your first.Just wait till you see that bloody great eye(best seen illuminated by a headtorch as it nears the net) staring at you and wicked set of knashers you'll be hooked for life.

R

Rob Brownfield

Graham...your wish is my command..I have poseted several thousand Zeds to you via first class mail. All u need do is open the envelope, add water....and hey presto..Zeds in your waters....There may be a few other letters in there besides Z...but it wont matter...will it??

I am going to have a bash for them next time I am in the Fens...I reckon they could be fun!!

A

Andrew Miller

I saw Rik catch his 1st Zander on the R. Severn. A beautiful looking fish well on par with the pike. I too want to catch them now! I believe they are pentiful in Tamworth Canal but the information is a bit hazy. I have try the fens (for pike)but my watercraft skill is not good enought for those bleak waters yet!
Windy

R

Ron Clay

Don't worry Graham, come October we'll get down to Ramsey 40 foot and hope for some rain to colour the water. Plenty of zanders there.

They are truly a most impressive looking fish.

A

Andrew Miller

Ron, if you don't mind an Eastender coming, can I come as well!

R

Ron Clay

Not at all,

Plenty of Zees in Cornelius Vermuyden's Drain.

Sorry I mean Zeds, just been on the line to the States

C

Chris Bishop

Rivers Ron. They're the new rock and roll.

Just think, zander might even be the new barbel.

D

David Will

Nice to see everyone geting in on the Zeds theme,I understand this is the first step to becoming an expert!!!!:)
Why are the EA with their great bigs nets always the last to know?

C

Chris Bishop

Up here, the EA are very on the ball when it comes to fish sampling. They have a rolling programme of test fishing the Fen drains and rivers and have thrown up some interesting results - not least the near-record fish from the Channel a couple of years back, which sparked off so many rumours.

I'm not sure how they caught the sampled zander in the Thames. At that size, I'd be more surprised they didn't get a boatload of them.

T

Tim Sidney

Hi Graham, I seem to recall that when I was stationed at Waterbeach Cambs in the 70's up by the lock in Waterbeach was where I caught my first Zed, apparently the Cam was one of the first waters to have the Zander introduced to it.

Ah nostalgia

C

Chris Bishop

They got in via the Relief Channel/Ouse connection. There are supposed to be lots o0f schoolies around the Cam/Old West confluence.

E

Eddy Garrett

Ive caught a zed in the middle of Cambridge. Yep all 1lb of it on a single maggot...

R

Rob Lup

to graham
If you want to catch a zed you should come to Ely and fish on the gt ouse i have cort a 14lb 2oz zed and there are a lot of 8lber there as well and it is also free fishing as well. if you want more info e-mail robert8897@talk21.com
yours rob lupton

R

Rob Lup

to graham marsden
If you want to catch a zed you should come to Ely and fish on the gt ouse i have cort a 14lb 2oz zed and there are a lot of 8lber there as well and it is also free fishing as well. if you want more info e-mail robert8897@talk21.com
yours rob lupton

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Thanks Rob, I'll certainly bear that in mind when I get round to do some zed fishing.

R

Rob Brownfield

hey...i caught a heap of Zeds up here in Scotland on sunday...i got to the loch at 5:30 am and cust out my deadbaits...and then...fell asleep...ZZZZZZZZZZZZ....talk about slow...lol. My last fish from this loch was in 1996!!!

T

Tim Kelly

I didn't know there were Zander in the Thames. Does anyone know which parts of the Thames are supposed to hold them. I fish the Thames fairly frequently and have never seen or heard of one.

Tim

C

Chris Bishop

There have been fish rumoured around the Oxford area for about four or five years.

The canal there is linked to the rest of the Midlands waterways network, which does hold zander - despite British Waterways culls.

In August an EA survey at Teddington found a three-inch zander, officially confirming they're in the river.

It then emerged that people have been catching them around Shepperton for the last couple of years, and a fish was pictured in Angler's Mail.

Doesn't really matter what part of the Thames you fish. They'll be in the upper river once the Thames/Severn Canal re-opens in a few years' time.