floodwater barbel

Steve Hall

Reaction score
hi everyone, can anyone put me in the right direction with fishing for barbel in floods, ive struggled big style.
any tips much appreciated.
cheers in advance.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Steve. Floodwater fishing for barbel is easy and they are very receptive.
1/ Cast upstream
2/ Use enough weight to hold bottom,
3/ Wait for the tip to bounce and then bump downstream...barbel on.

Simple.

Graham

Steve Hall

Reaction score
jonny in leicester, last thursday it absolutely p*****d it down, river up about three foot.

graham, thanks for advice, anything i should be paying special attention too?
im struggling to choose a swim in these conditions.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Steve, The fish will generally move into the main flow at the start of a flood to take immediate advantage of the food coming down.

After a short time thay then tend to move into the steadyish water you can find with even pace (however fast) The less surface boil the better.

Fishing upstream will help in 2 ways at least.
1/ Less weight needed to hold bottom
2/ All debris will be washed up the line to the surface as against down to mask and lift your bait.

It's really a confidence thing. The barbel have no problem finding your bait in the muddy water. Enjoy.

G

Gary Knowles 2

look at swims NOW that you want to fish when the water is bank high. Identify spots while the levels are still low where you can almost lower a bait in and still be on the river bed when the water is 2m up.

Makes life so much easier.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Andy Nellist wrote some good advice on floodwater fishing. Look through his profile.

Steve Hall

Reaction score
thanks guys, i went today, pulled out of a barbel within first hour, moved swims and had two chub, so a bit of an improvement!
river a lot lower now, but raining all day long so if that carries on i'll try some of your hints out.
cheers.

E

EC

Well done Steve, I had a couple out of the Upper Severn a couple of years ago, the river was probably 10 feet higher than were we would normally be sitting.

But as Gary said, having been there when it was low in summer, I had a few areas which I knew would be ok to lower a bait in.

It weasnt that long ago that when rivers were flooded they were deemed unfishable by a lot of anglers, as such the lad who I went with was beaten before we even started.

Conditions were just daft, logs (wooden) dead sheep, alsorts floating down. I used flattened out 3oz lead bombs to hold bottom, but those barbel really do feed in conditions like that!

One thing that came home to me that day was the fact that if either of us had of gone in the severn that day, we probably wouldnt have turned up 'til Worcester or bristol or somewhere, a flotation suit/aid is definitely worth a look if you plan on doing a lot of floodwater fishing mate!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

On rivers like the Trent it helps to know your ground. Make mental notes of cow drinks and gullies on the bank and fish there, right under your rod tip.

And don't forget to try large lumps of luncheon meat in these conditions.

I love floodwater fishing.

Steve Hall

Reaction score
Thanks lads, great bit of advice there Eddie about the flotation suit its amazing seeing the river like that compared to of late, god knows what the severn or trent looks like with a flood on!
im fishing the soar, cracking river but no where near as powerful as them.
ive done o.k so far this season with barbel upto 9lbs, which was my p.b, but ive got too admit i was very unsure with all that rain pushing through.
cheers all.
steve.

E

EC

Fladen do good flotation gear for sea fishing, 2pce, 1pce, vests etc.

They now do a flotation suit in realtree I believe and also a smock in black which is a flotation aid also!

Worth a look Steve, is deffo on my list!

G

Gary Knowles 2

I've tied myself to a tree before now in floods.

Cue Wol.....