Oiling 'pins

mol

Reaction score
I took advantage of the cheap pins from Dragon carp and ordered one, I've never used them before. I was advised to strip them down and give them a quick oil before I use them for the first time, I was told this would help them spin. I was told sewing machine oil or 3 in 1 was a good oil to use. I could only get what was called 'fine' oil, the fella in the shop said it was used on sewing machines. I was getting about a minute spin I'm now down to 30 seconds, is this normal? Does the oil need time to work? If the oil I've used is the wrong stuff then how do I go about cleaning it off the bearings?

stikflote

Reaction score
Well it realy makes no difference how long it spins,as long as float pulls line off with flow of river.
Your oil may be to thick, so just wipe it off you only want a smear on spindle, and put check on when threading line thru rings, other wise reel will spin and you will have a great birds nest

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
On a ball bearing pin like the one you've got a slight increase in the viscosity of the oil shouldn't make too much difference to the length of time it rotates. The first thing I'd check is that the reel has gone back together properly. Have a quick look to see if the drum is square on the spindle and that there's no wobble. There should be a bit of play along the spindle, if not then you've either put it back together wrong or you've over tightened the retaining screw. If that looks OK back off the tension on the drum retaining screw (I think it's a screw) very slightly and see if that makes a difference. If this does make a difference then the you're going to have to be careful how you tighten this screw as too tight and it will restrict the rotation and too loose and it will work itself undone.

As Stikfloat says, it's worth trying out the reel and if it feeds line OK when trotting don't worry about it. It will probably free up a bit with use anyway.

If you want to remove the oil from the bearing and start again, get some parafin from B&Q, dip the drum into some of it and give it a good swill round. Leave to drain and apply some new oil.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
That retaining screw does indeed tend to brake the drum if its over-tightened. At least, it does on mine!
Is there some sort of rubbery gunk you can put on the thread of such things to stop them working loose and falling off?

mol

Reaction score
Taking an 8th of turn off the screw has made all the difference, spins like a good 'un now, cheers fellas. I suppose I'll just have to put a screw driver in my kit and keep an eye on the spool

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Taking an 8th of turn off the screw has made all the difference, spins like a good 'un now, cheers fellas. I suppose I'll just have to put a screw driver in my kit and keep an eye on the spool

That's exactly what I found. I had one of these,wasn't over-fussed at first,oiled it,backed off the screw a bit & it now spins like a top.It may not be the greatest centrepin reel ever made but it aint bad & its a bargain at that price. Dreadful ratchet though....I'm going to have to modify that.

---------- Post added at 19:00 ---------- Previous post was at 18:59 ----------

Nail varnish.
Clever....wouldn't have thought of that.

mol

Reaction score
It may not be the greatest centrepin reel ever made but it aint bad & its a bargain at that price.

Thats what most people seem to think. I've always fancied fishing with a centrepin, suppose it comes from watching John Wilson as a kid. It's hard to justify spending £150 on a reel particular as I'm new to fishing with a 'pin and have to pick the technique up but £30 seemed too good to miss. Personally I'm very happy with the reel it'll certainly do me as a beginner

stuartpengs

Reaction score
I normaly use lighter fluid to clean the grease that most bearings are coated in then just a single drop of singer sewing machine oil per bearing should be enough. As has already been reported in some of the answers ensure that the end screw isn't done up too tightly.
As for Mr Maynards assertion that he doesn't carry too much in the way of nail varnish in his tool box I thought that the candy pink stuff he was wearing the last time I saw him on the Abbotts Barton stretch was very fetching.................Allegedly:D:D

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Thats what most people seem to think. I've always fancied fishing with a centrepin, suppose it comes from watching John Wilson as a kid. It's hard to justify spending £150 on a reel particular as I'm new to fishing with a 'pin and have to pick the technique up but £30 seemed too good to miss. Personally I'm very happy with the reel it'll certainly do me as a beginner

It is too good to miss and absolutely perfect for the situation you describe. I honestly thought it would be a munter but its not and I am not easily impressed. Enjoy.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Cheers, Geoff, too, (simultaneous posts, only just seen): though as a fly-tyer and float-bodger I do have a few pots of nail-varnish knocking about. Black, mostly, which is unfortunate, cos I don't do emo/goth on account of being bald. And old. Among other things.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
I'd advise strongly against trying to remove a bearing unless you know exactly what you're doing. You can clean the bearing in situ (several ways described above) the re-oil it.

---------- Post added at 17:05 ---------- Previous post was at 17:02 ----------

On the subject of oil. I was grayling fishing yesterday and I had to change to a fixed spool as my Match Aeriel couldn't keep up with the flow on the faster stretches. Does anyone change the oil on their 'true' pins in cold weather?

guest61

Reaction score
What is the best way to remove the bearings in my Okuma Sheffield for oiling?

Don't do it.

These are sealed ball bearings - they're sealed for life. You will not see any benefit from oiling them, it might make you feel good in having done it but it won't make any difference. Your centre pin will have so little load placed on it through normal use that the bearings will last a very long time. If you do take them out you will (obviously) have to put them back and this could end in tears - yours. If you have problems it is probably better to replace the bearings.

Last edited:

hooklineand sinker

Reaction score
Went in to a Skateboard shop in my town and bought some Bones Speed Cream RF tm . the blurb says it is a low viscosity polymetric lubricant to reduce rolling friction in ball bearings ,the oil itself is thinner than 3in 1 but not as thin as sewing machine oil. The plan was to remove the bearings from my Sheffield flush them out and relube with speed cream which is starting to sound like a non starter.
My other reel is a Linclon which I have tried all sorts of oils in it to see the effect it has on reel preformance at the moment the bearings are lubed with 90 grade gearbox oil found this to be the best for out and out casting and ideal for slowing reels down a bit, but the bearings are easily removed on this reel

chav professor

Reaction score
when tuning bearings for multiplier reels, I wash out the old oil in the bearings by liberally washing them in lighter fluid and allowing them to dry for a few minutes. then add a few drops of 'yellow rocket fuel' reel oil and your good to go.

a little tip. If you are removing bearings from your reels to do this procedure, do this in a plastic bag and use an appropriate pair of special pliers (not technical term - but i have a little assortment for the job). that way when you release the spring clip keeping the bearings in place, it stays in the bag instead of dissapearing into the ether!

works as well for centrepins, but pays not to mess with them too much. spin time is over rated. i love my trudex, a true pin - works as well as my jw young modern centre pin reel, but has nowhere near the same spin time.

guest61

Reaction score
Went in to a Skateboard shop in my town and bought some Bones Speed Cream RF tm . the blurb says it is a low viscosity polymetric lubricant to reduce rolling friction in ball bearings ,the oil itself is thinner than 3in 1 but not as thin as sewing machine oil. The plan was to remove the bearings from my Sheffield flush them out and relube with speed cream which is starting to sound like a non starter.
My other reel is a Linclon which I have tried all sorts of oils in it to see the effect it has on reel preformance at the moment the bearings are lubed with 90 grade gearbox oil found this to be the best for out and out casting and ideal for slowing reels down a bit, but the bearings are easily removed on this reel

There are many reasons to lubricate something - but given the relatively trivial amount of load that the bearings in a centre pin will be under versus their design specification, I really wouldn't bother.

Mark

Last edited:

captainbarnacles

Reaction score
I read this thread , as i as well as being a keen angler , also study people a lot and there idea,s and thoughts. I realy find it quite hard to believe some of the posts here regarding people that want and expect a (supersonic spins forever reel) that if it did so would get you into trouble nore often than not. I think sewing machine oil gets the most votes for a lubricant. And whatsmore you dont buy a rolls royce at £100 grand and then when you get home change the engine , so why try and alter the reel. These manufacturers have been there done it and bought the teeshirt. Dont you think that if they could use a product that would improve the quality of there reels , they would so they would sell better. If you squirt wd40 up supermans a** it won,t make him fly faster , the laws of gravity and friction and many other aspects wont allow it , so just take your reel down the river put in on a rod and if it works ok then leave it alone and have some fun with it.After all i take it thats what you bought it for, to use.