Death of Mary

S

Stuart Bullard

Has anyone monitored other forums on the death of Mary. Unfortunately it is a case of angling trying to shoot itself in the foot again. Going through the RMC website, who I belong to, there was naturally a lot of grief, as RMC own Wraysbury. However there was mention of anglingnet.co.uk and comments on their forum.

Having gone thru this there was a huge debate / disagreement on why some people were getting so emotional about "just a fish". I thought it was all very squalid. If people want to get upset, why not let them?? It serves no purpose arguing the toss whether it is the correct thing to do or not.

Personally I think it is always a sad loss when you lose an animal that is recognised as "top of the pile". I just hope the anti's dont get stuck in.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Its horses for courses when it comes to passion. The so called 'outsiders' will never understand the sheer emotion involved in waiting for the bite and the pull on the rod when lines start shrilling off the reel, so don't expect them to understand exactly what makes us tick.

Rest in peace oh great fish and thanks for sharing your life with those who played you!

R

Rob Brownfield

My concern would be why did it have a "heart attack"??? This is a very rare occurance in the fish world!

Has there been an autopsy?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I think the heart attack theory was just a guess, and not based on anything scientific.

As for those who slag off fish like Mary then it's probably a case of sour grapes that they hadn't caught him themselves.

No matter what anyone thinks about naming fish it doesn't make that fish any less than the great fish he was.

If other fish had the same distinct markings as mirror carp then there would be a hell of a lot of anglers who would be amazed at how often they catch the same barbel, bream, pike, chub, etc, etc.

If you could bottle the pleasure that Mary gave to many anglers then I'd want to buy some.

R

Rob Brownfield

Graham...totally agree...I know for a fact that many of the big Norfolk Pike are caught time and time again (as was Nev Ficklings 40+)

It is a sad loss, but it was going to happen some day. I feel sorry for the last bloke to catch it...he must be gutted!!

D

Dave Johnson

THE ANGLING.NET SCENARIO WAS MORE ABOUT A SEA FISHERMAN WHO COULDNT UNDERSTAND THE REASONS BEHIND NAMING FISH ETC. I think he was saying it a bit 'tongue in cheek' its only a fish blah blah blah......i suppose its difficult to understand when you throw most of your catch onto the bottom of the boat to die slowly.....

R

Ray Bewick

Is Raspberry still alive?

Ray - showing his ignorance, but hoping to prove longevity

C

Carp Angler

Is Raspberry still alive?

I believe so Ray, the last I heard he was about 63 or 64 years old.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
The offensive posting and subsequent replies have been deleted. The naughty kid who did it has also been deleted from the members database. I hope everyone understands that this is going to happen from time to time and that it will be dealt with as soon as I know about it.

There will always be silly kids who demand attention and they're bound to go for the raw nerve that gets it. So please try to ignore such juvenile postings in future until I can get round to deleting them. The more we react to their demands the bigger the kick they get out of it.

Thanks to all 500 members who pressed the red button! Really, I appreciate it.

M

Malcolm Bason

Wow - 500 hit the old red button eh. Thats quite amazing, but I feel it is also a reflection of the way fishingmagic is held in esteem by so many who actually care.

R

Ron Clay

Does anyone know the ultimate period a carp can live?

How old was Mary? Was she one of the original Leney stock of carp from the 30s?

R

Rob Brownfield

Graham....soooo..u have the power to eradicate vermin now..lol...see sedge about his rat problem!

As for the age of carp...I recall reading a paper (scientific one that is) about the growth and expected age of carp in Europe. 30 years seemed to be a figure that most agreed on. Carp have been known to live a lot longer in ornamental ponds...but in the rigors of a lake the 30 year old estimate seems more likely.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
All Sedge needs to do is wear his usual pyjama trousers. That week he was plagued with rats he left them at home and has regretted it ever since.

They are very effective at getting rid of all kinds of annoying little rats (and big ones) who think they can take liberties with us. I've begged him to let me put a picture of him in his pyjama trousers at the top of the forum pages, but he refuses, saying, "Oh no, my loyal fans will laugh at me."

"He does anyway." I said.

R

Ron Clay

By the way I've just had a call from a mate in Oz. The best way of keeping rats and mice away from your tent is to encourage a few funnel web spiders to hang around near the tent doorway.

Rats do not like funnel web spiders!!

P

paul clarke

Ron , never been to oz but from what i've read and seen on tv about funnel webs i'm probably with the rats on this one !!!

R

Ron Clay

You had better be. The Funnel Web Spider is the world's most poisonous.

Go and look at them in Bristol Zoo.

P

Paul Williams

Anyone interested in a collection to send our Ron on a one way trip to Oz?.....we will all be to scared to venture out of the house!!!!! hang on is that his plan, so that he gets the fishing to himself?????

R

Ron Clay

Not really bu whilst you are waiting for a bite it can be most interesting to communicate with the many types of fauna that are around us.

Personally I've had more problems with getting stung from British Hornets and wasps than all the spiders in Africa. I can't stand wasps. I always end up getting stung a few times every year, especially during August and September. Personally I think we should start a few colonies of Black widow spiders in UK. They love eating wasps.

R

Ray Bewick

Graham - I've actually been fishing for a few days & have not kept up with this thread. Caught some little 'wildies' 2lb ish on floating baits split cane & rapidex

I am concerned that after my reply / question there may have been some puerile problem, is this so, a yes no would do or mail me off list.

Ron - Horse flies mate - nightmare, mossie's - likewise perhaps I just react badly.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
It was just some numbskull who made a stupid remark and hadn't got sufficient grasp of non-abusive English to make a good job of it.