How to set the clutch

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Depending on breaking strain of line,I usually set my rod up first, and then pull line from the reel (just in front of it) until it is hard to pull off. Then I slacken it slightly until it just comes off the reel.
It works for me anyway.
When I catch, I will alter the clutch all depending on what the fish is doing.
I then prefer to backwind when the fish is ready for netting, incase the fish makes a last minute lunge for freedom.

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
Set the drag at 20-25% of the b/s of the line, so with 6lb line set the drag to 1.25-1.5lb. To set precisely, put the weight required in a carrier bag, and water in plastic bags is perfect, as you know that 1pt weighs 1.25lb, 1 litre weighs 2.2lb, you can take it from there. Thread the line through the guides, screw the drag tight, tie the bag to the line and lift from the ground. Once suspended, reduce the drag until it starts to yield line, then tighten slowly until it JUST clicks once. You can then be entirely confident that it is impossible to be broken by a fish. You will need to pump and wind when playing fish, to ensure you don't wind against the drag, and to exert pressure to net the fish, simply put your second finger against the spool lightly. That will almost double the pressure.

i only set the clutch on my carp and barbel
reels all the others i backwind only

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I do as baz on lighter lines. On my Barbel/Carp rods i hook the bag through the zip or D-ring and lift rod. Altering the clutch untill the rod is around 3/4 of full compression.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

One thing to remember about playing fish off the drag (a better term than clutch) is that it takes a heck of a lot more force to start it slipping than to keep it slipping. Also by lowering the rod the friction of the rings will become less, causing the drag to slip at a lower force.

I like the fighting drag system because of the above.

For lines under about 5 lbs however, I prefer to backwind.

C

Chris Bishop

Screw it up tight and learn to play fish by backwinding.

Clutches stick, it takes more "pull" to get them going and they can't adjust to things like the angle the rod's at, how much pressure's on, which way is the fish moving - away from you, kiting etc.

It's also fiddly to adjust the pressure as you play a fish and causes line twist.

Far better to rely on hand and eye co-ordination and let line go via backwinding when you have to.