Venue keys

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
One thing which cheeses me off is keys for various venues. I have a huge bunch of venue keys, half of which are old but I daren't throw away in case it's the wrong one. Give me combination locks every time!

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
stay a bit too long on your swim hoping for that witching hour biggun, and by the time you get back to your car it is almost dark. Try reading the combination especially on a well fingered combi padlock. Those nice shiny white numbers soon begin to fade and you are stuck.
Been there.......

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
but then if all fishery locks use combination locks , you'd have too remember the right code for each venue ! and that would only get more confusing ,at least you can hold a key or several simular keys and quickly by a process of elimination find the right key ,multiple combinations bring multiple possibilities for confusion

J K

Reaction score
The club I'm in has a suited set of locks, one key fits all the locks.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
but then if all fishery locks use combination locks , you'd have too remember the right code for each venue ! and that would only get more confusing ,at least you can hold a key or several simular keys and quickly by a process of elimination find the right key ,multiple combinations bring multiple possibilities for confusion

The numbers are on my card for all the different venues.
I would be good if there were padlocks that accepted codes and keys, to please everybody. I think many clubs that used to charge a key deposit found the extra charge and the responsibility of looking after them was too much to expect from certain members, and if you issue a key to a new member who never visits any of the venues during the season , try getting it back. At least the combination can be changed at any time during a season with a letter or email to warn any bona fide members of a change........

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
stay a bit too long on your swim hoping for that witching hour biggun, and by the time you get back to your car it is almost dark. Try reading the combination especially on a well fingered combi padlock. Those nice shiny white numbers soon begin to fade and you are stuck.
Been there.......

Me too...and I bet it was the same lock. I would settle for any lock that actually worked rather than the stiff,rusty,cantankerous ones that every club I've ever belonged to had. I particularly hate those ones welded to a big chain that gives about 5mm of free movement. Perfect for pitch black winter evenings when your hands wont work properly.

richiekelly

Reaction score
a local water that i fish for zander has a lock to the carpark that is hopeless i dont use the carpark because it can take me 5 mins of fiddling with it to get in and im afraid that once in i wont be able to get out,if they had a combination lock i could shine my headlights on it to be able to see it.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Our club gives each member a key when they join, this key fits all the locks to the waters that require one of which there are many across the country. The locks are kept well oiled and up to scratch so there are no problems with them not working......what a club !

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Our club gives each member a key when they join, this key fits all the locks to the waters that require one of which there are many across the country. The locks are kept well oiled and up to scratch so there are no problems with them not working......what a club !

So if a member joins for just one season, then leaves but keeps his key, ten years later he can still get into the carpark. Unless an expensive lock-replacement takes place. With a good combination lock you can just change the number every season.

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
Know exactly what your talking about, Peter.
I had a hell of a job trying to get out of the Scunthorpe Police fishery on the Tent last month, especially as the chain was that tight, having to hold the chain in two hands just to get the lock in the right position and holding the torch in my mouth whilst propping myself up on two crutches:mad: Fortunately I had a few fish :)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So if a member joins for just one season, then leaves but keeps his key, ten years later he can still get into the carpark. Unless an expensive lock-replacement takes place. With a good combination lock you can just change the number every season.

Yeah I suppose they could do that geofff but they'd soon have it taken off them by one of the bailiffs.

The bad one

Reaction score
If the Club Trigger is referencing, is the same as I think he is , they change the lock barrels (locks are made that way) every 5 years or so. And given that they will have waited 4 years on the waiting list to get in, very few would be leaving after the first year Geoff. The average stay in the club is about 7-10 years minimum. In that time they will have found out the waters are well policed.
And that the club does take legal action against poachers on their water, when needed.
There just isn't a issue in the club or for the club have one key for all locks.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
True. But I'm talking generally, not specifically about one club. I carry a bunch of keys, which when my fishing key-ring is added, makes me feel like a prison guard - hence my liking combination locks

Keith M

Reaction score
In the distant future we will have affordable weatherproof locks that can recognise members thumb prints which can be downloaded each season. and run on batteries that never run out.

and pigs will fly.... That'll be the day

NB. They thought that the Earth was flat once upon a time :D

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
My clubs gate has a padlock that can only be reached by placing your hand in a small hole cut into corrugated sheet metal, Its the most difficult two handed operation and many a time I have dropped my key on the inside then having to lay on the ground to reach underneath to retrieve it. The only kind of person I can think of who might be able to operate it single handedly is a gynacologist!!!!

The bad one

Reaction score
You must be really unlucky Geoff :( I have two keys for fishing, between them they give me access to over 300 waters. They fit on my regular door keys ring for the house, giving 5 keys in total. The only time I'm likely to forget my fishing keys is I forget the house door keys.
And I'd know I have forgot them before I get in the car as I wouldn't be able to lock the house up. :)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I'm with Peter Crabtree on this.........its no fun at all trying to see a combination lock at dusk,particularly if the eyesight is not as good as it was!

Don't know what the answer is but as Alan Tyler says,its just as bad trying to work out which key opens which lock..............I tried sticking coloured spots to each key and then writing a list....................worked for a while but bl**dy hopeless if the spots fall off!!!

I'm waiting for a bright idea from someone on this.............................????

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You must be really unlucky Geoff :( I have two keys for fishing, between them they give me access to over 300 waters. They fit on my regular door keys ring for the house, giving 5 keys in total. The only time I'm likely to forget my fishing keys is I forget the house door keys.
And I'd know I have forgot them before I get in the car as I wouldn't be able to lock the house up. :)

I have just the one key which opens all the waters in my club and leave it in my car glove box so I never forget it. I'm gonna have to get a spare though just incase I drop the ****** and loose it.
I've got my name down for another local'ish club but I think i'll be waiting a while for that so my keyring won't be getting any heavier for a while yet.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Just because I was in front of the kitchen scales - I just weighed my everyday bunch of keys. They went 11 ozs. I then added my fishing club keys and the total went to just under 15ozs!