Bait soaks for barbel

E

EC

I have used halibuts glugged in salmon oil with some success, drill your pellets before glugging them though as glugging can make them softer and virtually impossible to drill without splitting!

E

EC

Big kick ass halibuts mate, I have more confidence in hair rigging them then banding them!

What do you do/use?

R

Rodney Wrestt

I use glugged boilies and pellets and flavored maggots, not sure if they count though :eek:)

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Superglue Eddie, but looking at you BS comment postings your hands are probably sticky much of the time anyway?

Tried some Mcrab yesterday but only one 9.6 to show for it.

What do you use for the glugg Rodney, or is it a secret. Do you think it really works?

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Sorry Eddie, got you muddled up with the other Eddie....I'll take that first comment back unreservedly and bury my head in sand!

E

EC

No worries Graham, I do my best to confuse people anyway!

To me drilling pellets at home then having them ready is quicker and less fiddly than doing stuff on the bank, I have never used superglue for baits mate!

Dave Durrant

Reaction score
Hi Graham

I've tried glugging. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Hard to be specific unless you have two baits in the water to compare.

One thing though, it does soften the pellets considerably. A disadvantage if you want to keep your baits out for a long time, but maybe an advantage if you want your hookbait to match your freebies.

Dave

PS Hows the guiding? Too much work and not enough play?

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Eddie, do you use standard stops? I find the chubbies sometimes remove the pellets and you sit waiting and waiting.........with SG it's always there.

Dave. Very busy thanks with 9 barbel virgins having their first fish this year with me makes it very enjoyable. One went on the Hant Avon next day and had a 6lb chub and 12.7 barb so that was great.
Tougher than last season with the Kennet fish very much early and late. Customer best fish is 11.10 so a few pounds to beat last seasons 2 fish before 12am totalling 25lb 7oz.

Worthwhile helping/educating on the handling aspects as well as the rig safety ones.

What Glugs do people try?

R

Rodney Wrestt

Graham,
I use a small pot with a few boilies, the glug is the matching source liquid, I don't cover them though instead I put just enough to be able to keep a coating on the baits. I prefer the baits to remain softish and don't want them taking on too much and hardening so a shake of the tub now and again keeps the bait covered and still soft in the core.

I also use the same method with the halibut pellet oil from Dynamite baits.

R

Rodney Wrestt

As for whether it works, I'm not sure, I like the smell of the Source, it's a mild scent rather than a concentraited one. I like to think it helps draw attention to the hookbait when first introduced, but I'm sure it becomes less potent after a short time, so for me it's just a sudden cloud that leaks off quickly hopefully attracting the fish in and not remaining on the bait marking it as the odd one out.

I suppose it's like all edges, if you're confident then it'll add to your game, if not you'll forever be adjusting, chopping and changing.

E

EC

I was fishing the other night with a mate who lost a few pellets that were superglued, but these were smallish pellets compared with the 18mm ones that I sometimes use!

But yes, when using the smaller pellets when they soften up I can and do lose the odd one to chub, that said where I fish minnows and the current can combine to whittle them down to virtually zero anyway!

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Graham, I have a pot containing various sizes of drilled halibut, Trigga and Trigga Ice pellets, and one with various sizes and types of Elips pellets.

They're both full of oil, the main reason being to slow the breakdown time of the pellets.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Eddie.........no probs with reggie and ronnie your way then?

Robert, interesting, I will have to have a sniff of that one,

Matt, No crays for you either then. I noticed they were lasting half the length of time once oiled with those little monsters around.

Graham