Trousers wanted for fishing

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I've tried every camping and fishing shop locally and can't for the life of me find some trousers I want for fishing.

I would like some fleece (200 or 300 weight) trousers, olive or khaki in colour with deepish pockets, ideally with zipped pockets.

Windproof fleece would be even better!

I want to use them underneath a waterproof layer through autumn.

Does anyone have any idea who makes something similar, or where I can buy some?

M

madpiker

have a look on transworld surplus site mate.they sell some lined moleskin combat trousers.they also do some very good swedish army base layers.

E

EC

The goretex ones that graham suggests are spot on, a few of my sea angling/walking mates have them.

That said I saw a pair of combat types (and I am not taking the piss) in tescos for ?15 they would be fine under waterproofs.

Under my bib n brace I wear lightweight regatta combats and am never cold, even when sea fishing on the beach in winter!

I also have sundridge sleepskin fleece pants which are way too warm Matt, I have done a review somewhere!

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Cheers, Pete & Graham, that's a decent site. I quite like the look of teh moleskin trousers.

Eddie, I have loads of waterprrof trousers, including Gre Tex ones. I'd like something a little warmer, to go underneath, to store my keys, money and phone and to wear in the car to and from fishing trips.

E

EC

Gotchya Matt, I wear a sundridge b and b mate so that pretty much does me!

C

Chris Pearson

Matt,
I got mine from Tupperware,they're not very comfy but they don't half keep you fresh ;-)
ChrisP

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I had two pairs of moleskin trousers made for me by my tailor recently. They are the best fishing trousers I have ever owned and only cost me ?30 a pair.

Moleskin is incredibly warm and doesn't let wind through. It is also very very tough.

You can buy these sorts of trousers from game tackle dealers. Daren't buy them myself as I'm scared they may not fit. Have to have trouser made to measure these days.

The history of moleskin is very interesting. It was used by cowboys in America for years and steelworkers in Sheffield had moleskin aprons and trousers in the rolling mills.

It's made from very closely woven high grade cotton of course. It washes very well indeed.

C

Chris Bishop

"Moleskin is incredibly warm and doesn't let wind through..."

Don't you find you get a bit of a build-up after a while..?

W

Wolfman Woody

How many moles do you need to cover your doodahs, then?

Truthfully speaking, I have wanted a pair of decent autumn/winter pants for years. Funny how the tackle companies all produce fancy waterproofs with their flashy names all over them, but not a pair of normal decent trousers.

Like Ron says, Moleskins are probably the best and Ex-army store the source. Shame though.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

I would imagine Ron needs his to be waterproof on the inside (incontinence problems)

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

You speak for yourself Ed.

Ex Army stores - I wish. Can never get anything my size there.

Wind proof? It's Barney that should be wearing the moleskins.

I am told it took the skins of 250 moles to make one pair of my trousers.

C

Chris Bishop

Just have this picture in mind - please indulge me here - where you're heading back to Rotherham in t' Sado. Sorry, Saxo.

It's been a good Barbel session. You've caught a few and so have t' lads.

So you decide, like you do, to crown your achievements with a pub lunch.

You can only have one, because you're driving. And rightly so.

But after the best part of a pint of Websters, John Smiths of whatever's found it's way down your craw, you have that empty feeling only a foray into the pub's pickled onion jar can cure.

Are you with me here Ron..?

One pickled onion follows another. We've all been there. Then it's crisps and - by 'eck lad, they've got pickled eggs left over from Milennium night, hiding between the dart flights and the regulars' pool cues on a back shelf somewhere.

They're a bit green in places, but hey - we're wearing moleskin trousers and all's right with this world.

Half way home, your lifestyle catches up with you in explosive fashion. You've guffed a time or two, but no way is the moleskin going to let the odd fart threaten the ozone layer.

Unbeknown to you, there's a little hole just under the seat, where a barbed wire fence got you as you hopped over.

You shift forward slightly, to light a fag and KA-****ING-BOOM.

...............A suicide bomber in a Citroen Saxo is believed to be behind the first attempt to set off a dirty bomb in Britain............Fragments of his underpants were found 20 miles away in Barnsley........Today the Daily Mail can reveal the face of bomber Clay, who warned: "These moleskins are gonna blow..."

C

Chris Bishop

"You can get top quality German ex-WW2 Waffen SS combat moleskin trousers for ?18.99 from www.outdoorandsurplus.com....."

Just the thing for invading Poland or goose-stepping through Paris in.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

And for an extra few quid you can get German WW2 surplus Waffen SS Gruppenfuhrer combat jackets mit oak leaves, dubbel blitzen und totenkopf ja!

Just the thing to walk along the 40 foot in. The locals will think you are a ghost or something.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Seriously a lot of the top German uniforms of WW2 were made from moleskin.

Jim Gibbinson

Reaction score
Obergruppenfurher Herr Clay, haben sie sehen Goretex bib-und-brace aus Deutchland? Sehr gut. 30 quid. (Army Surplus and Camping Equipment - finden sie das site on Google).