Evesham Angling Festival

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I took a drive up to Evesham today for the Individual competition as I usually do and though the Avon looked in reasonable condition for a change it turned into a big fish at all costs match.

Steve Toon started it when he landed an estimated 5lb tench which not doubt got some of them twitching, then an angler on an unfancied peg landed a barbel on the pole to the accompanied cheer closely followed by an angler who landed a double figure barbel which changed the whole match.

Its not much use fishing for roach once fish like that are caught so it was a chase for big fish then. The winner gets a tidy sum, it was ?2500 last year and I did hear the figure ?5000 mentioned but that could be the total prize money, either way its a lot of dosh for a couple of barbel.

I bumped in to Mark Wintle, he was taking lots of pics, and after a good natter we arranged to meet up in the beer tent later which we duly did. I left as the final whistle went so I don't know the final result but I bet somebody is celebrating right now in the beer tent.

I commented to Mark that each year it seems less of an occasion and the tackle tents seem to get less and less which I believe is due to the rent that Evesham Council charge making it unworwhile. Even the car park is up to ?3 now and that started off as free years ago, no doubt the local council see it as an annual money tree but they will finish up killing it completely if they aren't careful, a shame really as it is the last of the big river matches and attracts crowds of up to 20.000 over the three days.

T

Terry Comerford

I think I saw Mark Wintle also, if he was wearing specs, a FISHINGmagic cap, and had a camera around his neck.

The tackle was incredibly cheap this year Graham.
I had my palm read by Gypsy Rose Lee, who said I was about to buy a lot of fishing tackle! Amazing!

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Terry,

That was me alright. Struggled to get any decent pics - oh well! Not much action unless you like seeing gudgeon coming to hand. Might have got a few shots of Toony landing his tench. Took one of Dave Hall as revenge for printing my shot of Marks & Marlow in Midland Angler in the Ivan Marks tribute some months back.

Woody,

Bumblebee's gone to ground since trying to palm off a rod/reel combo from Tart Tackle on me - you'll see the result in three or four weeks time. Says there's a carbon shortage coming so get used to fibreglass again....

Graham,

Should be able to get a share of a bivvy for ?20 a night in this part of the world if you're lucky, and want to stay down here. Only joking, I'll be in touch.