Photographing Big Bream

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Mike Townsend and I caught a few decent Bream the other day and photographed them.

When I photographed the first one of Mike's I noticed there were lumps and streaks of slime everywhere, so with the second one I used a tub of water to try and wash off the lumps. It didn't work.

How do all you Big Bream experts do it?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
That amount of snot must be peculiar to where you're fishing. I've rarely come across that amount. The snot (mucous) is there to protect the fish against disease and it's not wise to wash it off. Usually, when fish build up an excess of mucous, it's due to the fishery being excessively prone to carrying parasites.

In fisheries that produce bigger bream of 10lb and over, the fish are most often carrying less mucous. Generally speaking, the bigger the bream the less mucous they have.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Interesting that Graham.

The catches of fenland bream I have taken recently have had very little slime. Irish bream also have very little slime and so do Trent fish for that matter.

The slimiest bream I have taken in recent years have been fish from Oxfordshire gravel pits.

P

Phil Hackett PCPL with Pride

Last night I caught a barbel its dorsal fin
caught up in my keepnet. To avoid this happening again to anybody else I got out my fishmongers scissors and cut it off.

Shakes head in disbelief.

Fish welfare!!!!!

Snot comes with the territory. If you don't like it, don't fish for them!!!!!!! If you can?t avoid them, then just unhook them in the water and don?t try to photograph them.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Phil, obviously I don't want to damage the fish and I know the mucous protects them.

However, the mucous does rub of a little on the landing net. These Bream were very snotty indeed.

All the big Bream I've seen in the angling press aren't like this so I wondered if there was something I was missing.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist

The only thing you can do is to make sure that the bream have the minimum contact with any surface that will disrupt the mucus layer.

Have a bucket of water ready before you remove the fish from the water

Cover your unhooking matt with a plastic bin liner and pour plenty of water over it.

Transfer the fish from the landing net onto the weighing matt very quickly to minmise contact between the fish and the landing net mesh net.

Weight the fish in a plastic bag.

Make sure your hands are soaking when you pick the fish up.

Photograph the fish with you lying down and supporting it with wet hands to avoid contact with your clothing.

Don't retain the fish.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Cheers Andy, fantastic advice.

It sounds like I need to do away with the landing net then!

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Save the 'snot'and send it to Ron ---he uses it to cure cuts ......

M

matt thomas

eh Matt you ask a question and the Bream police come out

hehe

P

Phil Hackett PCPL with Pride

A bit like the barbel police on the Trent smart ar*e

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Okay then, we'll see what Bob has to say about this when he gets back. Another cover up no doubt(o

M

matt thomas

its only a joke folks ,just a bit of humour

(in scouse accent)eh calm down calm down

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

I've never heard a Scouser say "eh calm down calm down"

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Don't worry Matt, my lips are sealed.
I promise never again to mention the other Matt asking how to take the slime off big bream.(o

N

NottmDon

I have to admit Matt I hate getting slimed by Trent Bream and have taken to unhooking them in the water if possible. If youre stuck with just yourself and a remote for your digital camera it pays to put the remote in a little plassy bag or wrap it in clingfilm if youre handling fish and trying to take a pic ( what a bloody hard job that is lol). At least the remote wont get slimed or wet through this digital technology doesnt cope well with Trent water and slime in the works lol> :)
I wonder if the amount of slime a fish such as a bream carrys for protection is any indication of water quality or rather the lack of it (badly polluted)?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I wonder if the amount of slime a fish such as a bream carrys for protection is any indication of water quality or rather the lack of it (badly polluted)?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

That sounds like a really good point Don.