Zig Rigs

L

Les Clark

Im sitting here thinking about zig rigs ( Don`t know why )but they must be the most unnatural way of presenting a bait ,2or3 feet off bottom,mid water or on the top with up to a 5ft hooklength ,bobbing about, but a static bait all the same but a lot of carpers catch on the rig and Im not trying to knock it ,just taking a step back and looking at it again .
We are allways looking at ways to tweak our baits and rigs ,take the shine off our hooks ,use slack lines so not to spook the carp and yet the zig rig stands out like a sore thumb .
( In my veiw )what do you think ?

B

Big Malc

In my humble opinion Les, no different than float fishing, but in reverse - if you see what I mean?

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
I caught on a difficult lake years ago (1983) and nobody beleived me when i told them i had fished a bouyant bait straight off the lead at 4 feet.

Until you try it, you don't know.

F

Frothey

it might look obvious, but it puts the bait where the fish are.....

Tim Ford

Reaction score
I've been doing a bit of reading on zigs but am not sure whether to use braid or mono for the hooklink.
Could someone possibly tell me the pro's and con's of each as I'm stumped?

M

michael bracken

it would be better to use mono, but fluorocarbon is hetter even

matt

Reaction score
late 80's we were catching on boilies suspended under pike floats dropped in front of cruising fish! at the time I reasoned that if they had no reason to fear it it would work. the pike float acted as a bolt rig.

Benny The Bream

Reaction score
There is often a lot of food in the mid to upper layers if the carp view a boilie as a food source why would it seem unnatural to them? thats where they find food. They often let there guard down when feeding hard on buzzers and such like. They learn by association so untill they have been "done" a few times on it they will readilly take the bait.

Dont forget there brain is only the size of a pea!!!

Benny The Bream

Reaction score
I have often wondered whether it would be better fished under a float. I suppose it depends which way they approach the bait from above or below.

L

Les Clark

As I have stated Im not knocking it , I use it myself useing Cakeys rig ,(see rig page )but it just looks so unnatural .

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
do you fish it with some freebies around the lead underneath it to attract fish into the area???
surely if the carp sees some loosefeed on the lake bed,it`ll notice the boillie fished on the zig rig???