Newbee needs advice

Weeman

Reaction score
Hi chaps,

I've decided to take the plunge and start fly fishing, I've spent too long watching and thinking 'that looks like fun, I'd love to try that'and nows the time to give it a go.

I'm a little unsure as to what gear I need to get started?
I will be starting on stillwaters (Rib Valley Lakes if anyone knows them?)and was thinking along the lines of a Greys 9'6" #6/7, is this about right?
Any advice on rods, reels to suit and lines would be greatly appreciated.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Any rod by Greys as you describe should be fine. Get a medium priced Large Arbour fly reel such as the Greys GRX, and start off with two lines, a floater weight forward and a slow sinker or what is termed intermediate line, again a weight forward.

You will need 50 yards at least of backing uner your line.

For leaders, 6 lb Sightfree fluorocarbon should be OK.

Flies.

Initially stick to a few effective patterns such as buzzers, damsel flies, Vivas, Montanas.

If you have never cast a fly line before, you are going to find this the hardest hurdle to get over as a beginner. Best thing is to invest in a few lessons with a suitably qualified instructor.

Good luck.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
As Ron says the Greys are very good go for one of the Greys GRX packages with Rod Reel and Line. 9'6" is a good alround length.

Take the plunge you will not regret it.

S

Shrek

If you go for the Greys package, don't get the GRX lines as they are horrendous. Greys Platinum or Snowbee Prestige lines are good.

Weeman

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys.
I've booked a leason next week with Richard Vigus (good call Alan) - can't wait!

Just one more question - would you team a #6/7 rod with 6 or 7 weight lines?

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
It means #6 if it's double-taper, #7 if it's weight-forward. "Brutes" may have a third weight listed , for shooting heads. This is because a short increase in attempted casting distance causes a greater loading with the thick belly of the DT than with the thin, shooting portion of the WF.
I think.

Good luck, and tell us how it went!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

That is a good question.

If you are going to cast long distances then a 6 weight might, in theory, be the way to go. Remember that a 7 weight rod is rated for the first 10 yards of fly line. However from my own experience. most 6/7 weights cast 7 weight lines better.

Put a 7 on it. Because you are a beginner you will find the timing easier.

M

michael bracken

good decision taking up fly fishing, as you get more into it you might start tying your own flies too

tight lines and have a good time, you wont regret it ;>)

Weeman

Reaction score
7 weight forward line seems to be the way to go then. I presume weight forwards are easier to cast, especially for a beginner?

Tying my own flies is an area I'm definately interested in for the future - my ultimate aim is to try and tempt some big Chub from my local River lea on the dry fly. I saw a chap casting black nats to them one evening last summer and he slaughtered me fishing with bread off the next peg! I vowed there and then to learn the noble art of fluff chucking.
I can't wait to get started now - been course fishing all my life but this is a whole new adventure. Ain't fishing grand!!!

M

michael bracken

yes, weight forward is easy to cast, as it suggests the weight is forward to help it shoot. i havent used anything other than weight forward. good look !

fishing sure is grand :p

David Gander

Reaction score
Hello all, having never been a fisherman back in the UK, when I moved down here I moved right next to a large river (or 'Gave' as they're called here) and therefore couldn't waste a golden opportunity to start fishing. After trying ordinary rod and reel 'worm' fishing, I've got the fly fishing bug in a big way. Almost every day this summer I've been knee or chest deep in freezing mountain fed water fishing for trout. Although I've been going a lot, I've not caught that many fish, as the real wild trout here tend to be very wary, but when you do catch one, it's mighty satisfying! I'm trying now to find somewhere to fish out of season, but I don't even know if that exists down here. Anyone been to this part of the world? I'm in the Pyrenees Atlantique part of South West France in an area called the B?arn (the B?arn du Gaves as the tourist office calls it) and our village hosts (one of) the World Salmon Fishing Championship.

Anyway, glad to have found this site.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Welcome to the madhouse David. Sounds like a lovely place you have there. Any problems just start a thread there are a lot of very knowledgeable anglers on here who will be able to help.

NT

Reaction score
Rib Valley has a good website http://www.ribvalleyfishinglakes.com/Fly Fishing.htm.
As it is 13 acres, I suggest a 7 weight outfit would be better. They have a good instructor there (Richard Vigus as Alan points out) that offers a good beginners tuition package. Althought a 6 weight would probably be better on the rivers.

I can recommend flytying as flies are ?1 each from most fisheries...

Neil