Fish Slime

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

A couple of years ago I cut my finger rather badly. I applied the usual antiseptic and plaster.

It didn't seem to heal and for several days it hurt like hell. I was worried about infection, but I had a fishing weekend organised and wasn't going to let a silly little cut interfere with it.

Then I caught a nice tench and whilst unhooking it the plaster came of my finger exposing the rather nasty cut on the first finger of my left hand. Some slime from the tench got into the cut.

I washed the cut and wrapped it up in a hanky and went home.

Within an hour or so the pain from my cut had stopped. I put on a new plaster.

In only two days the cut had completely healed!

Was this the result of the slime? Does the myth of the tench being the "Doctor Fish" have some truth in it?

Whenever I go pike fishing and catch a few I always end up with cuts and perforations on my hands due to the pike's teeth.

They always heal very quickly with no sign of infection. There could be a lot of truth in fish slime having curative and anti-bacterial qualities?

What do you think?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Very interesting Ian.

I think that these anti-bacterial properties can be applied to the slime of all fish species provided the slime is fresh and comes from a fish that is alive.

So next time you get a cut. Try applying a little fresh fish slime.

The old doctors did.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

If you have a sore finger stick it up your ar*e -- it wont cure it but it will stop you sucking it ......

T

The Monk

I`ve often wondered about the medicinal uses of Ruffe Slapper Mucus?

S

Scott Whatmore 2

Ed, how long does one leave the finger in there? Will a quick in and out do, or dya have to leave it there until completely healed? The latter could cause some discussion when I get to work!

Reaction score
I know it's a slight tangent but crocodiles are known to possess a very high immunity to infection, both their underwater life (many sources of infection)and predatory nature (tendancy to get injured) has lead to this evolutionary development. Is it possible that pike slime may be 'more' curative for similar reasons?

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
next time i have an attack of gout,i`ll ring for an appointment with doctor tinca tinca.a quick rub up and i`ll be right as rain.a lot cheaper than the prescription drugs i take!!!

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

"Fish slime could be very good for the piles too."
Been sitting on too many cold river banks Ron?

Be very, very careful because it all depends on where you're fishing and the water temperature. In the subtropics and tropics getting fish slime in a wound can result in some pretty nasty infections. 2 years ago on the Florida Keys Dave Plummer got some mullet slime in a small scratch on his knee and it developed into a serious staph infection which resulted in a weeks hospitalisation involving intravenous antibiotics. It was a few months before he was able walk without a limp.
Fish slime may have antibacterial properties but if the water has a high bacteria content then a lot of them are still going be active on the surface of the slime.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

"Fish slime could be very good for the piles too."

Are you suggesting sticking a tench up your ar*e Ron .....
Mind you ,it would save putting them in a keepnet

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I do hope that the subject of this thread won't have people treating cuts and other things with fish slime.

All I did was mention an experience I had and Ian Cloke confirmed the possible curative properties of trout slime with a BBC news report.

There are such nasties on the river bank as Weils Disease, and in tropical climes - Bilharzia. Carrying a first aid kit makes very good sense.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There are a couple of lakes near me that are swamped with leeches.
I did a bit of research on these waters and found out that in years gone by, the Nuns used to breed them for medicinal purposes, one of them is actually called Nunsmere.
I realise it wasn't the purpose to get slime off leeches, but they do have it.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Nunsmere!!

Watch it Baz, you'll have The Monk heading on down there trying to get the slime off the nuns..... :eek:)