History for sale

T

Tony Rocca

Its only a cast (replica) bet half those bidding dont realise.

C

Chris Bishop

Still a lovely-looking thing. I wonder if it's the only one in existance, presumably if you've made the mould you could make umpteen of them.

S

Shrek

Don't know.

If you click on For Sale 1 and scroll down the page on this website you'll find a cast record roach and details at a price.

Makes you wonder........

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
The question should be why was this fished killed for a mold to be made. Its a shame specimens like this are killed just to hag on a wall. could a mould not have been made with a few good photo's and measurements.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I don't know but if a cast was made it would have been dead. Unless somebody carved it then made a mould. Then the original carving will be the item to own.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

The fish died and it is a good job that it did, otherwise there would have been doubts expressed for years about the fishes ancestory.

Personally I believe that record roach and rudd should be killed. It is vital to establish that the fish is true to it's species.

It's only one fish lets face it, that is coming towards the end of it's life anyway.

C

Chris Bishop

The one the chap in Cornwall's selling looks different to the one on eBay - pelvic fins in different position.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
But if you allow it for one species how can you not for another. Fish like the Traveller and Pope would be on a wall now. How do we know how long they have to live.

C

Chris Bishop

Having a cast made is presumably cheaper than having one "set up".

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I believe that only the fish that hybriise should be killed - Roach, rudd and Crucians.

If we are to have records lets make sure the fish is what its supposed to be.

And I do hope that when The Pope or The Traveller do die, the corpses are found and stuffed. Then we can all have a look at them.

T

Tony Rocca

"that is coming towards the end of it's life anyway",

Same could be said for a few of us Ron, some more so than others, no need to knock em on the head though. Then again, maybe one or two I can think of.

A fish that has grown that big has beaten the odds all its life, a shame to kill it for one blokes 15 mins of fame.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Then let's forget about records for those species Tony.

I do however get a bit concerned with anglers who virtually equate fish with humans. They are only fish for goodness sake, same as that cod or kipper you just had to eat.

There are even those who have buried carp in graves with crosses and inscriptions.

How sad.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Ron, its not often I disagree with you but I do over this.

We have no right whatsoever to decide which fish lives and which dies and I don't give a toss whether its a disputed record or not. It was a fish of a lifetime in the case of the roach and so what if people want to dispute whether its a true one not. That fish, or any other fish, is entitled to live his life out and its not for us, as human beings, let alone fishermen, to kill it and exhibit it as a trophy. To do it to justify a record is, to my mind, barbaric and unforgivable.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

"They are only fish for goodness sake, same as that cod or kipper you just had to eat."
Thats right Ron --just because it's a coarse fish doesn't make it any different

Graham,

"That fish, or any other fish, is entitled to live his life out and its not for us, as human beings, let alone fishermen, to kill it and exhibit it as a trophy. To do it to justify a record is, to my mind, barbaric and unforgivable."
If thats the case isn't it entitled to live it's life out without being caught by us too?

C

Chris Bishop

Quite interesting where these things come from, notwithstanding the issue of having the fish cast/set up.

The eBay listing gave no info on whether this was a one-off.

You'd think the captor would want them to be, because anyone else could put their name on the case with Letraset.

There are some beautiful cased fish around but there are also some snides. I got invited to an exhibition a couple of years back which boasted and 8lbs perch which was obviously a zander.

I've also seen fairly mediocre-sized carp and pike, allegedly caught around the turn of the century in plywood cases.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Bow-fronted cases are the most expensive aren't they?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Not the same Ed, being caught doesn't normally end a fishes life.. There was a blinding row on here a couple of weeks ago about mistreating barbel and the concensus was it was cruel and they should have been hung up by the balls for doing it. If they're 'just fish for goodness sake' and not to be cared for why don't we just throw the things back and not worry about whether they belly up.

All this over a plastic fish as well Hahaha!