CORMORANT CULL

F

Fred Bonney

Just heard that Brian Hayes will be discussing the cormorant cull this afternoon 12.30 'til 14.00,may be worth a listen and a 'phone call or email.

C

Chris Bishop

The RSPB are calling for a rethink.

They reckon the 1800 cormorants shot last winter represents around 10 per cent of the population.

They're claiming up to 3000 could be shot this winter if the maximum number of permits are applied for.

They also say this is contrary to some EU conservation law.

tony brooks 3

Reaction score
i am so frustrated, this for me is where angling MUST have an authority to speak up for us, its no good me phoning bbc to get banjoyed by the RSPB media expert

where are the people that earn from fishing videos etc, or those that have the facts

why arnt angling bodies lobbying the bbc with our side

or perhaps thay are and i have got it wrong, i do hope so

rant over, but i am going to fire off a message to bbc anyway, we have won the argument to shoot the birds, but now we could lose public support, hope not

aarrrgghhhhhh!!!!!!

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It looks like the good old BBC are at it again.

This morning on Greater Manchester Radio, the presenter spoke of cormorants being a lovely fish eating bird, and us anglers want to kill them so we can carry on harming fish.
He then called for phone ins from anglers to speak against culling cormorants.

Remember the article by Proffessor Barrie Rickards (go back and read it) Be very carefull about speaking to the BBC on angling issues as you will be heavily censored.
Or in the case of GMR you will be shot down in cold blood and not allowed to get your point over.

F

Fred Bonney

Well,quite harmless really,two viewpoints.
Martin Salter came across very well and even Keith Arthur got on board.
The RSPB spokesman had the same spin as the last time he appeared on Radio 4.
The listeners who had any anti input really
hadn't listened to what it was all about.
The protction of freshwater fish stocks

T

Tony Rocca

I thought Martin Salter gave the RSPB chap a sound thrashing, twas good.

W

Wolfman Woody

That Martin Salter's not a bad chap. Graham and I met him last week fishing. Rock solid Labour man, but fanatical angler that's for sure.

The RSPB spokespeople always get their figures screwed up. Shameful of them.

tony brooks 3

Reaction score
thanks to martin,

seems my fears earlier were unfounded and a focused MP is a good a focal point as any for a voice for angling

Michael Howson

Reaction score
As anglers we all know the score regarding the damage these (non-indigenous) Parasites do to our aquatic wildlife but the problem is an age-old one of trying to win the propaganda war and this is where we seem to stall. However in Martin we do appear to have a good fighter in our corner this time also according to this weeks AT it seems we are not short of public support so lets hope we get the required licences and use them to eradicate as many of these obscene tresspassers as we are allowed.

C

Chris Bishop

Angling falls down badly on the PR front. The story was on the wires this morning, which explains why it was on different radio stations around the country etc. I was quite surprised at the figures, like only 18,000 cormies..? I fished a pit Monday and there were about a dozen of them working up an down on an adjacent bit of water of a couple of acres.

Fishing Gimp

Reaction score
Martin Salter is a very good angler and loves long trotting, I know as i've fished with him a couple of times about 10 years ago, so in my book that makes him a good man and the fact he can argue a bit is a bonus.

Perhaps people should be made aware how 'bird loving' the RSPB are by questioning them about their treatment of the Ruddy Duck. The number slaughtered in the name of 'conservation' runs into thousands. Funny how they don't publicise this. This duality of attitude can be summed up in the words of a well known 1960's slapper 'They would, would'nt they!'!

T

The Monk

Martin Salter knows his stuff, yes I heard the rubbish coming from the otherside, another reason to support organisations like the SAA of course, Cormorants also eat protected and endangered whitefish of course

Michael Howson

Reaction score
Is the cormorant a relative of the equally destructive frigate bird aka the shag which mostly (earns) its living by waylaying and robbing puffins of their catch on their way back to the roost to feed their young.??Ive read that puffins are in serious decline so should our RSPB friends!!!! be directing their energies in that direction. Also the rape of our inshore feeding grounds by all and sundry under the guise and protective banner of the EU.Your thoughts please on these contentious issues. I ve read where the Danes have been plundering our sandeel beds for years and this has led to a serious shortage of staple food for many of our coastal species which is probably why the more hardy of them migrate inland.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A mate of mine was fined ?10 in the early seventies for shooting a shag with an air rifle. It had supposedly got blown off course during some gale force winds, and ended up very dead in the Cheshire countryside.

W

Wolfman Woody

Shags are a bit different, Baz. Same genus, different species. Shags are virtually all black, cormorants have white throats and white flashes on their wings.

Phalacrocorax Carbo Synensis (eatern European Cormorant) have a greenish tinge to their chests and a few more white feather around their head especially when breeding. These are the little breeders that caused the trouble in the first place.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks Woody.
I can't remember exactly what was said at the time, but I think it was that the shag was a protected bird.

T

The Monk

The Common Shag (Phalacrocorax aristotelis) is a species of cormorant Baz, we also have two cormorant varieties in Britain, I`ve seen the European variant on Pennington Flash and Hilbrie Island off the Wirral, they are unmistakable in that they actually have white heads.

We have 36 species worldwide, you should find this site useful for information

http://www.montereybay.com/creagrus/cormorants.html