Barbel elips pellets

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I would love to try these but the one thing that puts me off is the postage, it works out at ?12 incl. p&p for two kilos which just ain't on. Unfortunately I don't have any mates that are barbel fisherman so I can't split the cost by buying in bulk.

Its a shame really but I ain't so sure they are worth that sort of money even if they are proven fish catchers, which I am sure they are.

I suppose these are different Elips pellets from those that are sold by Hinders are they? Even if you soaked them in salmon oil or the like?

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Graham, the Hinders ones are similar.

Postage is always a problem with mail order stuff. Always will be.

If I remember right, one of them charges more for the postage and the other charges more for the pellets.

Either way, they work out about the same price.

I can vouch for BFW providing a very fast delivery - and the pellets really are worth it.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Thanks for that Matt. The difference for me would be that I can get them from Hinders myself (Wifes nephew works near there) and there would be no p&p. Us OAP's have to think of these things you know.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Ahh.

12.5kg from Hinders is ?21.50 + ?7.15 = ?28.40 - 2.27 per kg

10kg from BFW is ?19.00 + ?9.00 = ?28.00 - 2.80 per kg (Although a second 10kg would cost no more postage.)

Hinders postage price is for their 'Standard Service' whle BFW deliver next day working (most of the time.)

The BFW ones are supplied in a re-sealable bucket.

E

EC

CCmoores are worth a look imo, they are fair vfm and have shown good service to me many times!

Whats with these elips then, why are they different?

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Eddie, they don't sell Elips pellets though. Well there's none on their site.

E

EC

Yeah I know Matt, was just saying them as an alternative!

So what are elips anyone?

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Eddie, have the look at the review refered to to at the top of the page. There's some great pictures of the pellets where you can see their shape.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
BFW elips may have a different make up from Hinders of course, they certainly look different but I suppose they're basically trout pellet and fishmeal with additives. The Hinders ones have long been favoured by barbel hunters and I guess that BFW have produced one themselves with a few extra ingredients in.

Pellets are the new boilies and as such I think we'll see lots of different flavours till something else takes over, nothing stops the same in this world.

E

EC

What I mean is lads is what makes elips any different or better than other pellets, is the make up of them any different to other pellets, halibuts etc?

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

It the in fing innit, if you aint on Elips then you, quite frankly, are light years behind.

Sweetcorn anyone?

ps, note for McWallet, great saving of 53p per k from Hinders.

;o)

Pictures Graham doing the Asda tap on back pocket.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Talking of luncheon meat Eddie did you see the groundbait that Jan (the man in red) Porter recommends in this months CF? Looks tasty.

Luncheon meat shoved through a maggot riddle, sprinkled with ground up trout pellet and mixed with liquidised sweetcorn. Sounds good enough for a sarnie never mind feeding the barbel.

Kevin Thornton

Reaction score
I would be interested to read views regarding the long term use of high oil trout pellets in the diets of coarse fish. There is some evidence to suggest that diets high in such protein can cause maladies and organ failure. If this is substantiated who amongst us would stop using them for the sake of the fish? Perhaps one of the strongest arguments against comes from the fishkeeping world; keepers of fancy goldfish and koi don't feed with high oil trout pellets since, so they say, the pellets cause lack of colour, vitality and often death.

B

Big Swordsy :O)

bloodworm pellet mixed with mini-halibuts and 5mm elips is my current IN THING, the bream seem to aprove as well!

W

Wolfman Woody

"Luncheon meat shoved through a maggot riddle, sprinkled with ground up trout pellet and mixed with liquidised sweetcorn. Sounds good enough for a sarnie never mind feeding the barbel."

Struth, Willie-whatnot, you have some disgusting eating habits.

Have tried luncheon meat through the seive, add some hempseed and some small Dynamite Green Koi Swim-stim pellets (or whatever they're called). That's a feast, but none of its doing me any good right now.