Bread Roll Rig

Guy Baxendale 2

Reaction score
Whilst not want to restart the controversy over this rig, I am still unclear as to exactly how it works?
Is the hook left unbaited as it looks in the pictures or is it topped with a piece of flake?
Cheers
G

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A really good write up Clive. And again in a style of your own, which makes it even more enjoyable.

Guy Baxendale 2

Reaction score
Graham - See the old thread attached to the Bread Romm rig page.

Still unclear if the hook is fished 'clear' for fish sucking at the end of the roll (as in the pictures) or with a small piece of crust on the hook?

Can anyone clarify?

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Graham has certainly mellowed with age!

C

Clive Evans 1

Guy. It's please yourself really, but I fish it completely bare......

Bit uncomfortable in cold weather though!!

C

Clive Evans 1

Graham. Quite right mate, it never was really contravertial.
Just a mountain out of a molehill by a few of our more concerned brethren.

C

Clive Evans 1

Hey Stu.
I hope "mmmmmmmmmmm" is just the start of "mmmmmmmmore to come" ?

L

Little Stu!

where shall I start Clive?

on the controversial element? the hooking? the attraction? the 'when all else fails'? the success? the banning? the methodology? the 'hook-in-eye' theory?

tis the nuts of a rig and has landed me many when other surface fisherman sneak closer and closer for a look and still catch little!

C

Clive Evans 1

Ah well, Stu. None of those really.

It's the why factor that bugs me. Why are fish so easily fooled by this? Why are they not spooked by the so obvious hook and line.

It shoudn't work but it does!

Why? You tell me. Please.

L

Little Stu!

why are they attracted to this rig? Clive, with respect, it seems you've been around the block for a while, there are certainly iregular attractants in bread alone that seem to kick off a frenzy in itself right as you'll know, add to this the tiniest of break down/breakoff of bread segments and I think you'll half way there. I used to think that the smallest of fish would atract the bigger fish and so on, but I'm not sure anymore. As you would have noted in your already-done reserach Clive there are clues in the wildlife's recations I am sure. but before I spill all my findings, does this give you any thought process?

C

Clive Evans 1

Stu, there are times you can add competition to the list of attractions. You might call that the X-factor.

But, I repeat. Why are they not spooked by the so obvious hook and line.

That's the Y-factor.
(sorry)

L

Little Stu!

why do those who drink and drive feel they are not at risk or danger to others?

Here lies the answer I feel....

C

Clive Evans 1

What? Two sniffs of the yeast and they're anybodys'?

By Jove, I think he's got it!

(Knew I could rely on you, Stu.)

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Thats an interesting theory Stu, I must say I've never seen that one put forward to explain the attraction of ordinary bread, I can understand your thinking though. Anyone who has used bread, in any form, will know that it will catch you fish when all others baits fail and it will catch fish in virtually all conditions as well so there is obviously something in bread that attracts them. I always suspected it was part visual and part the abundance of bread in all forms that finds its way into our waters, a sort of habit thing if you like but the idea of drunken fish has a certain appeal. I must look closely at their eyes next time I catch one on bread, and its maybe worth experimenting with guiness flavoured slices as well eh!

L

Little Stu!

I've fished alongside thos who have used the floating crust when I have used the bread roll rig and have witnessed some blank sessions whilst this rig produced.

My feelings surrounding this rig and the 'Y' factor is based on the way it is rolled, trapping in all the attractants nice and tight, then caged by the line again keeping in all those lovely attractants. It hits the water and slowly but surely the attractants are released, they continue to release as the rig soaks up more water, the investigation process kicks in, the frenzy starts, the competition heats up the fish move in, they drop their guard, they ignore the hook, they ignore the line, the swirls hit hard, the take comes fast and wallop, you're away!

As where perhaps a floating crust releases all of its attractants in one hit and then just sits there remaining non-active. The bread roll rig is continuoulsy releasing attractants, smells, feeding signals way after you've cast out!

L

Little Stu!

in a nutshell, its a perpetuating surface groundbait release system.