North Ebro Fishing Report.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Closed Season.

Bummer.

I went to acquire my licence (A whole 10.01 euros, a sea licence is 12.24) only to discover that the region of Cantabria which contains the Ebro source and the first stretch of river has a closed season which had more or less just begun.

Dissapointed is not the word.

However the Embalse D'ebro? the lake near Santander which the Ebro flows through near it's source was still fisheable.

So I went for a look at the lake.
My god it's like an inland sea! where do you start on it it's 'kin huge!

Did however spot some Carp cruising near the Damn at the west side of the lake right where the Ebro flows into the lake but this was more or less unfisheable due to the height of the damn.

Further round I found a nice bay with overhanging trees and some kind of lilly in the margins, perfect I thought, especially with the prevailing wind blowing into it.

No carp interest all day I'm afraid, fish were showing, even kiting out of the water. I don't know what they were as they were a little distance out ,maybe 20 yards or so, but I've never heard of a carp leaving the water under it's own steam?.

I thought maybe trout, if they were they were a bl@@dy good size.

I tried Ledgering and float and surface with halibut, corn and bread to no avail that day.

I picked up a leaflet with info about that regions fishing laws, dates, etc but it is all in Spanish (well duh!) and I can't read it. Anyone wants it posting to them I'd be more than happy if I can find it in my bags.

Sorry I'm no more help but I can vouch for the regions beautiful countryside and the incredibly steep mountain roads, just watch out as crash barriers seem to be in short supply round there!

:0)