Reel oil

colsmiff

Reaction score
I seem unable to find a tackle shop that sells reel oil or grease. Can anyone recommend a good substitute?

C

Chris Pearson

What about a cycle shop,I've got some great stuff that I use on my MB gear train.

S

Shrek

I use watch oil from a jewellers on fixed spool and centre pins.

Find it works very well indeed and doesn't go as gunky as some of the more viscous lubricants.

M

Mark Hodson

Mitchell did used to sell it, I know they used to provide it with the old 300's in a plastic tube about 3" long with the Mitchell Logo on the side,and they used to sell it retail through thier bigger stockist's, try contacting via their site at http://www.fishmitchell.com they might be able to tell you which shops still stock it or send you some direct.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Any good quality general quality oil will work. I have put 90 grade motor oil in my multipliers to help slow them down in very hot conditions. Also 3-1 oil. On the grease front visit the bike shop. Clean axle grease will do the trick.

C

Chris Bishop

Rocket Fuel - sea anglers and pikers use it to oil the bearings in their multipliers. Comes in two grades, guess the thicker one (red) for doing a fixed spool reel..?

J

jason fisher

Rocket Fuel
which you would get from
veals mail order

M

matthew nightingale

What about a good quality sewing machine oil or perhaps some gun oil. I imagine something without additives is a good idea if it contacts the plastic.

colsmiff

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try some of them out on a couple of my older reels before the ones I'm currently using. I'm having most problems with a Shakespeare spinmaster 030, which doesn't actually have a ball bearing (believe it or not!), but I am loath to resign it to the cupboard for sentimental reasons.

T

The Monk

Yes the old Mitchell Reel Lube used to do the trick although I have also packed the earlier fixed spool reels with Vasonine

B

Bully

As Matthew says, sowing machine oil. Def for pins, so it has to be ok for all else?