Lead core

Paul Mallinson 2

Reaction score
back with another question!

I recently purchased a couple of TFG pre made lead core leaders. These have a ring swivel on one end and a loop in the other. I tried setting up with one the other day and try as I might I could not get my lead saftey clips over the loop, even when I tried threading them on with a baiting needle. I'm pretty sure that what I need is a lead clip with a bigger internal diamiter but then I'm not sure if the clip will fit the swivel properly! The clips I have are made by Korda and Fox. The Korda ones are bigger but they dont fit, the Fox ones are way too small.

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Paul

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Try a large bore riun ring and have a free running rig instead. They will always ride over the loop on the leadcore.

Paul Mallinson 2

Reaction score
Yes I could do that Bryan but I am asking about bolt rigs with safety clips. There must be a way of doing it. If you are questioning the safety of the rig, it was always my belief that the lead is supposed to eject from the clip and not the clip from the swivel. I have also read in magazine that it is supposed to be this way around.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
That is right Paul. The problem arises when the fish makes the snag. The lead releases and hopefully you can the get the fish out. If the line snaps and the clip catches the snag the fish should then be able to pull the swivel from the clip and whtever line is being trailed. If the clip will not slide over the loop then you could end up with a tethered fish.

Paul Mallinson 2

Reaction score
Okay see your point there. Is it wrong to fish a lead clip in conjunction with leadcore then? Do people not do this? If the lead clip fits over the loop in the first place then if the clip is snagged the fish should be ablt to pull the leadcore back through the clip?

Would I be best advised to stick to using rig tubing in this situation then?

Just for the record, I'm not usually fishing for carp (but may catch the occasional one) and as such not usually fishing close to snags.

B

Big Rik

is the ring swivel spliced onto the leader or just looped on, because if it is, just take it off and fit one that fits your brand of lead clip?
ALternatively, use the lead clips with the peg thru them, then it doesn't matter if the clip is too big for the swivel.

Another alternative, use a helicopter rig, much, much safer with leadcore.

Paul Mallinson 2

Reaction score
You must have been posting at the same time as me Rik. Lead clips with a peg through them, thats a new one on me. Is that the armaled type? Seen an advert for them but wasnt sure how they worked but they look like they would fit.

The Swivel is spliced on so that one's a no go.

Helicopter rig sounds like a good option. I was under the impression that these were mainly for distance because of there anti tangle properties?

Are these still effective at short range?

B

Big Rik

of course they are, it's still a bolt rig, it just means the fish will eject the whole set up, lead and lead core if it gets the lead snagged.
Loads safer, it means the fish isn't trailing 3' of leadcore around in the event of an accident.

3 years old, but still valid Helicopter

ESP bol;t clips

enjoy

Alnath

Reaction score
I use inline leads only with leadcore. It doesnt take much to pull the lead off the swivel and over the end loop in the leadcore. 90% of my runs end up with the lead on the mainline and fully off the leadcore which shows it works.

M

matt thomas

look at the fox ones ready made up ,they are a totally different type and quite a lot easier to come free.
i will try and explain but one of the regular carp guys may be able to do a link
they have a rubber bead that has a sperical end which has plastic ring on it that attaches the lead,it is ribbed so the ring is held on in casting but pulls away at the slightest amount of pressure .the bead has a wide bore at the other end that fits over the swivel and being rubber it slips on and off really easily as well,they are expensive at five quid for three but that does include the leadcore.you can buy the components seperately to make your own which i have just started doing
i got mine from www.endtackle.com as the shop is on our caravan site (shorferry)so always get stuff when at the van to save postage.

J

jason fisher

alnath it was that arrange ment which first got leadcore banned when it teathered a fish in orchid lakes and killed it.

Paul Mallinson 2

Reaction score
As usual the carp forum has come up with the straight forward no nonsense answers required to my questions!

Thanks Guys.