Countryfile

alan strickland

Reaction score
Just watched counryfile on bbc1 and in it was a piece on swan upping on the Thames.Rowing boat`s with 6 chaps in bright red or blue blazers catch the birds tie up the legs and wing`s and bring them to the shore for weighing and photo`s and then after being stroked and patted by the crowds of onlookers are returned to the river,swan upping in times gone by was a search of the river by boat to check stock`s for the royal table but now is more of a conservation exercise.

During the programme the man in charge of the operation said 40% of cygnet`s die in the first year and his 1st and main reason behind this was fishing tackle.During the day they must of caught a hundered swans and if as they say fishing is a big cause of death`s why were none of the swans shown in bad condition or with fishing tackle attached?
If they had found a swan with damage they would of been very eager to show this on tv but they couldnt.

How do people like this get off slandering angling without backing it up with evidence.
I see a lot of swans on the waters i fish and the only dead swans ive even seen(2 in 4 years) have all been found under electricty pylons.

Jason Speck 2

Reaction score
Alan e-mail the BBC with youre concerns.I did after watching the programme.

Good old "Blair Broadcasting Comp" spouting more of the same old crap.It makes my blood boil.A national programme yet again has a "pop" at Anglers.

Regards Jason

M

madpiker

i emailed them and gave em a piece of my mind!
i wonder if they`ll mention any protests next week?

W

Wolfman Woody

It's true that a few swans do get entangled in fishing tackle, but I've never heard of many deaths fom it and I used to be in close conatct with Swan Lifeline.

Most cygnets are killed by older birds defending their territory, usually by drowning. Swans are quite vicious creaturss really, but overall, I still like them.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

"but overall, I still like them."

I've never seen a swan in overalls ....

But they DO taste good.

Jason Speck 2

Reaction score
Woody.I did mention that in the e-mail I sent them.
It does still happen,fools still leave tackle in their swims ect.
But the 40% quote without any evidence was "cobblers" mate.
No one mentioned the Swans being taken for the pot by our freinds from Europe.

And like you, I like them.I have some good photo's from various rivers at home.

But it's just more anti Angling propogander.You seldom see a good quote about us these days.From the non Angling media.

Regards Jason

W

Wolfman Woody

Exactly Jason!

Ed, I heard some people dressing birds up in stockings and suspenders, but then these pigeon fanciers will do anything for kicks.

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

Sounds like Monk's up to his tricks again.