Long fishing jumpers or sweatshirts.

A

alan whittington

With this freezing weather and age marching on,is there anyone out there that knows where i can get a long hooded(at least 6in longer to cover my lower back[a**e])jumper/s or sweatshirt/s,im finding it a real challenge and i dont want to kiss the mother in laws butt,pleading.:wh

Last edited:

Rickrod

Reaction score
What about a bib n brace that would cover all that area i use a prologic one and never suffer from drafts up the back

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
I have worn a long woolly jumper for the best part of 25 years when fishing and I've found I never suffer from a cold back(end) My wife's aunt knitted it for the father in-law but it was way too big for him, I'll ask her to knit you one Alan ;)
I had it on today with only a thin cotton shirt under whilst digging out 3 days worth of snow and ice from the driveway and never felt the cold. Mind I did knock my crutch away a few times with the shovel :eek:

Last edited:

irfonminnow

Reaction score
With this freezing weather and age marching on,is there anyone out there that knows where i can get a long hooded(at least 6in longer to cover my lower back[a**e])jumper/s or sweatshirt/s,im finding it a real challenge and i dont want to kiss the mother in laws butt,pleading.:wh

You want:
Aldi thermals - a full set is under £9.00.
An ex-army SHIRT - MANS FIELD.
These cost around £8.00 and are green, pullover, and are zipped at the neck with a roll-top. No hood, BUT- they are long enough to tuck into whatever trousers you wear and mine covers my harris quite comfortably. The body heat can't get out. They are made for the cold. We've had 17 degs below this week (in Powys) and I've been out with the dogs at first light with mine and just a jumper and jacket on top. A scarf. woolly hat and gloves and I've been quite warm.

The Aldi thermals are a steal BTW. Good fit and well-designed - can't recommend them enough:).

IM

Last edited:

richiekelly

Reaction score
the wife has just got me the tracker tundra suit,[ bib and brace and jacket ]
i have only used it once but it is vey warm.

Vongoosewing

Reaction score
Vongoosewing

Have a look at woolovers.com, they seem very reasonable and you may find what you are after at this website.

Remember, in cold weather to wear thin light under garments to trap the heat, while warm overgarments keep out the cold and reduce the windchill.

Best of luck and happy hunting.

VG.

kevin o connor

Reaction score
I have the Aldi thermals as well and have found them to be quite good. Last week shmbo got me a new set in a local shop for €12.00 legging and top. They are brilliant under a light tee shirt and heavy jumper, fleece type track suit bottom and my Sunridge -10 bib and brace. Ron Thomson moon boots,thermal socks, over thin wool socks. Russian style hat and snowboard gloves. Ready for anything the weather Gods can throw at me. If I could just locate the fish, I would be laughing.:rolleyes:

Vongoosewing

Reaction score
Alan, if you have the money and you want a good warm windproof garment with a long back then you can not go wrong with any of the Buffalo P5 or P6 shirts. They range in price around the £100 mark and many of the Military fraternity swear by them. Just have a look at Buffalosystems.co.uk.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Probably not what you're after exactly but I swear by the very sound thermals by Damart(if they still exist!).......
They do(or did)an all-in-one thermal or seperate top and bottom with tops offered with extra long body.I have worn these for years-light version for very early summer mornings etc or the heavy duty type for winter and they've always done a very good job.(Probably a bit old fashion now but still still good!)

I like the 'layered' approach personally so if I have thermals on and it gets warm I can always shed a woollen jumper..........this is in preference to a single outfit which,IMO is not as practical EXCEPT in very cold weather when they are perfect!

One things for sure,I never suffer with ther dreaded 'air gap' bewteen top and bottom!!

ps Kevin o' Connor seems to have it about right!

Last edited:

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
I have a set of "Jack Wolf Skin" thermals, leggins and top which has a generous length to the back. Also use "Crag Hopper" thermal lined trousers, TK Max best place, around £25 instead of usual £40-45.
Also use one piece quilted and waterproof suit.
Just can't keep the feet warm!

A

alan whittington

Thanks fellas,had a problem with the PC yesterday so havnt looked in until now.
I have a sundridge bib and brace,which is brilliant and i wear several thin layers plus usually a heavy hooded sweatshirt,or a fleece one,but they arent long enough and i find if i sit on my chair for any length of time(seems like months sometimes)the bugg*rs ride up,i will have a look at the shirts mentioned,for as far as im concerned when you get even the slightest chill,your going to pay for it at some stage,in spades.
John,my mum knitted me an extremely long jumper many years ago(which has long gone),which i had a lot of ribbing over,but i never had the problems im getting now.

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Just can't keep the feet warm!

Muckboots. Tried all the Skeetex type boots etc but since I got a pair of these I have not had cold feet at all. With a decent pair of proper socks they are brilliant. In terms of keeping warm you have to layer.

My winter outfit is

A proper cold weather technical base layer undershirt eg Helly Hansen/Berghaus
Simms midweight thermal leggings & top
Microfleece
Bib & Brace [ESP Drenchwear...one of the best things I ever bought]
Windproof Softshell over the top
Muckboots

If its exceptionally cold I'll wear a pair of jogging trousers over the thermal leggings and another outer fleece.I've got loads but the warmest by a mile is a £15 Rydale. If its not desperately cold I'll drop the Bib and substitute a pair of Craghopper fleece line trousers.

And a proper hat...occasionally two ! With all this lightweight modern technical gear if you layer properly there really is no excuse for getting cold anymore.

Last edited:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I wear the sleep easy bottoms, thick t;shirt, thin polo neck top, sleep easy top, pair of realtree lined bottoms. Then depending on the weather, it's either a Sundridge bib & brace with jacket, or the Pro logic 3/4 jacket and bib & brace, the pro logic for the very cold weather, as this has a great fleece that can be removed. On the feet, Muck boot.