Would you use one of these?

dicey dave

Reaction score
Basicly I have been thinking of properly setting myself up with a marker rod and all the rest to go with it. But I was thinking that for the cos maybee it might be worth investing in one of these (a humminbird fishfinder):

http://www.humminbird.com/images/forProducts/smartcast/prsmart15_photo.gif

info:

Key Features
Big 3 7/8" diagonal display with 160V x 132H resolution.
Rugged carry case with non-skid bottom and RSS storage.
True 4-level grayscale delivers clearly better images of the bottom, fish and structure.
100 ft remote operating range, 100 ft depth capability.
Large, easy to see digital depth readout.
Backlight for night fishing.
New illuminated Advanced RSS? with water surface temperature included.
Display powered by 8 replaceable AA batteries. (not included)
Includes one waterproof programable Advanced RSS for either Channel A or B operation mode.
Click here for a RF15 manual in PDF format. If you need Adobe Reader to open PDF documents, click here to get it.

Additional Features
Ultra-wide sonar coverage equal to twice the water depth.
One-Touch? menu navigation easily controls FishID+?, depth range, fish alarm, and sensitivity.
Advanced RSS typically lasts for 500 hours of in-the-water usage.
Advanced RSS replacements available on this web site, at your local tackle dealer and major outdoor retailers.
Wet Switch? technology maximizes battery life by automatically shutting down when the Advanced Remote Sonar Sensor is out of water.
Waterproof design.

I'm asking if you think this has it's advantages or disadvatages. I would be primerely using it for depth reading and feature finding without the hastle and time used by plumbeting and using a marker.

I was thinking as well that you can pick these up second hand for around ?100 which isn't to far off a marker rod set up. call me lazy (I all ready now I am) but I can see this saving plenty of time and hastle.

whats your thoughts??????

T

The Monk

I`ve used one for years, if nothing else they give you a good idea of what the bottom contours are like

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Alright for close in but 100ft is only ust over 30 yards. Unless margin fishing this is usually the start distance when fishing.
So if fishing within its range it as a advantage of speed and less cast being required also you are not draging a lead and float through the swim. Which will help on short sessions.

Joskin

Reaction score
You can order one from the states for half the UK price.

dicey dave

Reaction score
Good point Bryan, I think the marker rod must come first then maybee one of these babies!!!!

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

illegal frequency if you use ones from the states

Joskin

Reaction score
They are an illegal frequency but being realistic whats the likly hood of the law catching you out? around a zillion to one I should think.

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
Monks right though, I turn the fish finding bleep thing off and concentrate on the depth.

Never did get me head round the hard bottom weed soft bottom silt finding feature though.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Read the instructions, look up 'grayline'. If you cant suss that out try doing it over a visible bottom and you will be able to interpret screen against bottom.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I used to use a Lowrance Lokator on our bass boat. It was essential on some of the large lakes for locating fish and finding underwater features.

T

The Monk

Monks right though, I turn the fish finding bleep thing off and concentrate on the depth.

Its nice to know what depth you are lkely to drowned in if the boat capsizes

john anthony bate

Reaction score
best money i have ever spent on fishing gear i explore many large waters some over 5000 acres in portugal and find it invalable good on rivers to great at looking for big snags to fish close to which is how i catch most of my biger fish
www.tightlines-portugal.com

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
I love using me boat and echo sounder, but you are restricted a bit unless you have access to a large water or at the very least an under fished one, for me It's part of the fun, I love trying to get a picture of whats under the water and how that might effect the fishes behaviour. To put a bait out at over 200 yards and to catch is fun.