Review of the Year 2010

guest61

Reaction score
As the year is drawing to a close, how about a personal review of the year 2010 thread?

Put what you like, but nothing too complicated..

Here's mine.

1 – Best Catch – 40lb of bream and hybrids from my local Shropshire Union canal.

2 – Best / Favourite Fish – A near 2lb Roach from the Shropshire Union Canal.

3 – Biggest surprise – A 12 1/2lb Barbel from the River Dee – Local Club water.

4 - Favourite Day - Catching around 20 Crucian Carp from a local club water, in high summer.

andreagrispi

Reaction score
Some good fish and catches.

Here's mine:-

1 – Best Catch – 156lb 15oz from 08:15-15:45 20 fish. Bream to 12lb 8oz and tench to 8lb 11oz (6 over 7lb).

2 – Best / Favourite Fish – A 7lb 7oz tench which the top half looked like a normal tench the bottom half looked like a golden tench.

3 – Biggest surprise – Hooking and landing a 10lb+ common on bit gear I was using to catch some livebaits for perch.

4 - Favourite Day - 55lb 8oz of 8 barbel to 9lb 5oz from a new stretch.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
1. Favourite day for sheer variety; 5 tench to 5-02 including a golden tench, 2 crucians to 2lbs, a carp, 8 roach to 2lbs, 2 golden rudd, a golden orfe and a perch.

2. Best fish a new PB mullet of 6-10

3. Most surprising comeback catch - over 50lbs of roach last January from the Dorset Stour.

Reaction score
1 – Best Catch – 8 barbel to 10lb 2oz and three chub to 5lb in three hours up-streaming on a boiling hot day in June from a tiny pool on a low and crystal clear Teme.

2 – Best / Favourite Fish – A modest new pb tench at 6lb 8oz caught on my birthday on the lift at Linhay pool courtesy of the guiding skills of a very good mate.

3 – Biggest surprise – Catching a 15lb 6oz river carp from the Severn whilst roach fishing on a 3lb bottom, 16s hook and double maggot.

4 - Favourite Day – The Saturday night of the Marsbar Mega Fish-In at Boundary Water Park in July. Seeing Jim cane the bream in, catching a new PB from his swim, watching Graham goes ‘R’s over twit’ trying to poach Jim’s rod, and the superb banter from good friends throughout the night.

A bit early for school reports tho, I've still 'got' to catch a 2lb roach and 6lb chub from the Teme, and a 25lb pike and 15lb zander from the Severn before the season ends... :)

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
2010. highs.

January the Bristol avon flood in, the Saturday was a good social and I met a lot of the faces behind the names, but the river was virtually unfishable , the 2nd day was a lot nicer conditions on another section of the river, met a few other members and I managed to catch a BA roach . . April Clattercote ressie, came 3rd with a few skimmers.... (scalesman dispute still ongoing) ....... Re-discovering a local day ticket fishery and finding pristine roach to 1lb+ and a few biggish perch , meeting Mike Wilson , and introducing a fellow FM'er to the water.
and of course the Blenhiem day out was a great day out...(just got the feeling back in my arms, back and legs)

and, visiting Dorset last February and meeting Mark Wintle who very kindly took me and son of meldrew to a fishery where we we caught some nice grayling, and another day on the Stour............

Last edited:

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Something of a strange year so far in that a large proportion of my fishing time was taken up by my addiction to BIG Rainbow Trout. The best being a 18lb 12oz beauty which also happened to be my 30th double figure trout.

That was closely followed by three Barbel over two evenings from my local little river. Nothing big with the best going less than 7lb but I'd spent a fair amount of time trying to locate them, so the satisfaction was immense.

Most suprising catch - a 2lb+ Perch on a red buzzer whilst stalking a giant Rainbow. Then a 12oz wild Brownie that actual took my tiny nymph on a carrier of the Itchen!

Best day - two really - the Blenheim Boat Party and the after match festivities closely followed with the day out with Nigel Connor after the Mullet in Christchurch Harbour.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Funny old year for me...fished a few new waters which is always nice & I've kind of re-discovered the sheer fun of just going fishing with a good mate or two.

Highs

Sea Trout : I have finally got my head round this lark.This year I passed my apprenticeship and am due a big lump.

Grayling : I was expecting a 2lb fish from the Dee,failed & got it on the Itchen Fish In. Lovely day's fishing.

Roach : Simon [Peter Crabtree] introduced me to a local water where I enjoyed the best roach fishing I've had for years.Nothing huge yet but 20lb + bags of quality fish as good as any I've ever caught. Thanks Simon.

Trout : A fantastic evening on Farmoor .While England were struggling against Algeria me and the big fellah were murdering big trout on buzzers & nymphs.I've had a terrific season on Farmoor with loads of fish caught to over 10lb.

Blenheim : What a crack !

Lows : Failing to land any of the salmon I've hooked this year and that stupid parrot !

Last edited:

matthew barter

Reaction score
Favourite day. Finding and then putting my brother on a swim. It was on Heart lake, Yellowstone. He caught a perfect Cutthroat of about three pounds. Wolves were howling in the background!
Almost perfect. Next time I'll be more selfish.

I know it's been asked before but I've just looked on the beginners forum and been on photobucket. They seem to want money. Anyway is there an easy way for me to post a picture of my brother with his fish that won't cost me anything?

Last edited:

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Use the gallery on here to post a picture of your brother. You will need to downsize the picture first though.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Favourite day. Finding and then putting my brother on a swim. It was on Heart lake, Yellowstone. He caught a perfect Cutthroat of about three pounds. Wolves were howling in the background!
Almost perfect. Next time I'll be more selfish.

I know it's been asked before but I've just looked on the beginners forum and been on photobucket. They seem to want money. Anyway is there an easy way for me to post a picture of my brother with his fish that won't cost me anything?

This thread should help:

http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/...lf/131311-guiding-points-all-new-members.html

Having uploaded the image to the Gallery, there's now a new simple way of posting it onto the forum:

http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/forum-notice-board/159025-added-link-include-image-gallery.html

andreagrispi

Reaction score
Some good fish and catches.

Here's mine:-

1 – Best Catch – 156lb 15oz from 08:15-15:45 20 fish. Bream to 12lb 8oz and tench to 8lb 11oz (6 over 7lb).

2 – Best / Favourite Fish – A 7lb 7oz tench which the top half looked like a normal tench the bottom half looked like a golden tench.

3 – Biggest surprise – Hooking and landing a 10lb+ common on bit gear I was using to catch some livebaits for perch.

4 - Favourite Day - 55lb 8oz of 8 barbel to 9lb 5oz from a new stretch.

Here is a picture of that odd tench I talk about - has anyone ever seen any similar?

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Had so many good days, but one stands out over the rest for me, and i didn't fish.

I got a call about 1am, (i never go to bed early) from my son Tom, before he could say anything, I said, you have caught the 40lb Common, how do you know that. Easy you wouldn't be calling for any other fish at this time.

I went to the lake first light and took some Pics and the fish went 40lb 9ozs, down 5llb on it's top weight, but up over 2lb on it's weight since it was last caught. Tom's not fishing there now he's had that fish.

Blenhiem is always a great crack, and was again this year.

Best days fishng for amount of fish was the Icthen, 50 plus Grayling, over a dozen trout, and a couple of Roach, one lost salmon, but not sure if I had foul hooked it or not.

Got to a water to find an angler in the swim i had been baiting up, it happens. So i told him were the bait was and to fish over it, he did and caught some good Tench, best 7lb 14ozs.

Lows, not getting out enough.

dannytaylor

Reaction score
Not had a bad year but could have done better. Spent most of the spring/ early summer chasing some difficult carp and getting far to distracted and not getting the result i wanted. Finally got into gear and started to target different species, Took carp too 23Ib on floaters, managed some nice bream up to 11Ib 8oz. Caught some pike up to 20Ib 5oz and had a lure caught PB chub of 4Ib plus. A real passion of mine is too troll lures for big perch, caught some nice stripeys with two going 3Ib plus. (ive had them too 4Ib 8oz in the past)

Really enjoyed my fishing and cant wait for 2011, got a feeling its going to be a good year for angling :)

013-1-1.jpg

017.jpg

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
A really enjoyable year.

Best catch: first trip of the season - two barbel 9lb 14oz and 10lb 7oz from a low clear Swale

Best day: Grahams retirement do - being whupped off the next swim by Jim!

Most memorable catch: my last fish of the 2009/10 season - a nice barbel caught in the last minute of my season from a freezing river with my landing net frozen to the bank and the frost silvering my rod

sean-meeghan-albums-sean-s-pictures-picture1870-barbel-6-5.html

---------- Post added at 21:39 ---------- Previous post was at 21:35 ----------

Now why didn't that work? Tried to insert a pic from my album.

johnnyfby

Reaction score
My most enjoyable session was when i left the Barbel rods at home and just went armed with my heavy stickfloat Gear and caught 3 barbel for 30lb 12oz.
The most incredible session i had was 42 Barbel, plus 3 doubles, caught one afternoon, using just the one rod. with easily an average weight of 7lb plus.
My best fish, was a 14lber which after prebaiting a peg for a few hours, was my only Barbel caught one afternoon. It was huge and will be massive in years to come.

andreagrispi

Reaction score
My most enjoyable session was when i left the Barbel rods at home and just went armed with my heavy stickfloat Gear and caught 3 barbel for 30lb 12oz.
The most incredible session i had was 42 Barbel, plus 3 doubles, caught one afternoon, using just the one rod. with easily an average weight of 7lb plus.
My best fish, was a 14lber which after prebaiting a peg for a few hours, was my only Barbel caught one afternoon. It was huge and will be massive in years to come.

Hell of a catch - bet it was from a tidal stretch.

mol

Reaction score
1 – Best Catch – 100lb+ bag of Bream and hybrids from the River Seine. After 4 days of heavy pre-baiting the swim was stuffed with fish, every few minutes the tip would pull round, incredible fishing!

2 – Best / Favourite Fish – A new PB Common of just over 42lb.

3 – Biggest surprise – I'd tackled up but not baited up. I was having a few casts to see if the small 15g feeder would hold bottom, it wouldn't, I was about to start reeling in the feeder as it had bounced through the swim when the rod hooped over. I'd hooked what would have been a PB barbel, strange thing was it was hooked fair and square in the mouth it must have picked up a bare hook.

4 - Favourite Day - My first day this year trotting a stick float down the river for a mixed bag of Roach, Chub and Dace. I'd not trotted a float for years and years, I caught nothing big but it put a huge smile on my face.

andreagrispi

Reaction score
Not had a bad year but could have done better. Spent most of the spring/ early summer chasing some difficult carp and getting far to distracted and not getting the result i wanted. Finally got into gear and started to target different species, Took carp too 23Ib on floaters, managed some nice bream up to 11Ib 8oz. Caught some pike up to 20Ib 5oz and had a lure caught PB chub of 4Ib plus. A real passion of mine is too troll lures for big perch, caught some nice stripeys with two going 3Ib plus. (ive had them too 4Ib 8oz in the past)

Really enjoyed my fishing and cant wait for 2011, got a feeling its going to be a good year for angling :)

013-1-1.jpg

017.jpg

Those perch have fantastic colouration - I have been put on a particular stretch of river which has produced perch to 5lb+ in the last year or so. So hopefully when I bag a 4lb fish myself it will be well coloured - I live in hope!!