Job wanted within angling

• Thread starter Big Swordsy :O)
  • Start date
B

Big Swordsy :O)

So are there any tackle/bait companies out there that are in need of an experienced crowd pleaser.

I have to say when it comes to getting a punter on-side I am the master, after years of dealing with all manner of customers ranging from the royal family,pop stars and famous footballers to council estate working class people who want their steak "burnt lad! I want it cremated!" I really am ready for a change.

So if you want your boillies selling like hotcakes or baitrunners flying off the shelf drop me an email with a decent offer of 25-30 K and we can talk business.

T

The Monk

the best way to get into that sort of thing is through writing and publicising all yours catches, of course it helps if you are successful in the big fish stakes, 25-30 might be pushing it a bit initially though, then again you could always try for a job in the Angling Times canteen and try to work your way up I suppose mate?.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
I would think you are well placed with the DVSG, (Don Valley Sales Group), to have personal access to Ron, salesman extrordinare, who can advise on the pitfall's of a career in sales/marketing, also, the advice of Bob, a professional angler, who could probably advise on job description's and 'salary' levels within the industry.

Not for me to advise, but have you considered doing a home-study sales course, there used to be one, The National School Of Salesmanship, but I don't know if it's still on the go.

Best wishes to you, whatever you decide, but you do need to be able to drive :eek:)

T

The Monk

cant drive Swordsy?? do they still have horses and carts in Yorkshire then mate?

C

Chris Bishop

Flying chef Swordsy...

You bivvy, I'll skivvy.

Tikka tart for the tackle tarts..?

M

Martin Womble

Lee i think they are looking for someone to work at the magot farm. interested

B

I could dispose of all my evidence! not a bad job in all respects.

:O)

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
One of the biggest myths in angling is the full-time angler. The idea that companies are falling over themselves to spend their hard earned profits on paying someone to go fishing all the time is a fantasy.

I, like many others who write articles, have a career outside angling. Always have and until the time I decide to retire, always will. I fish at weekends and whenever I get a bit of time off, always remembering that those articles eat into this free time, too.

It's having a job that makes you keen to break out and go fishing. Work feeds the desire to fish. The anticipation and frustration is much greater when you're stuck in an office, factory or whatever and conditions come right.

A great number of the guys who I first met as anglers, who then took up careers in the fishing trade, simply don't fish much these days, if at all. 24-hours a day, every day, involvement in the sport becomes too much.

You simply cannot make enough out of catching fish and writing a few articles to pay a mortgage, run a nice car, enjoy a social life, raise a family, have a stable relationship, etc.

Time bandits who class themselves as full-time anglers are fooling themselves when they call themselves 'writers'. How come they're still on the dole if that's the case? You can't pay a mortgage with a sack of casein or 50 kilos of pellets. The tax man won't take a free rod and reel in lieu of sterling.

And the pension scheme leaves a lot to be desired.

As for a proper job within angling, when the novelty wears off it's still a job with the same pressures and time constraints as any other. It's not quite like winning the lottery or being born rich...

B

Winning the lottery, now you are just talking dirty!

N

Nigel Moors.

"customers ranging from the royal family,pop stars and famous footballers" -
bet you got all their autographs eh Lee? :eek:)

T

The Monk

Time bandits who class themselves as full-time anglers are fooling themselves

go on have a go at the Manks then Bob haha

What about the professionally unemployed?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

The Monk got a job at a convent. Looking after the nun's special requirements.

In payment, he got the nuns to give him lashes.

T

Terry Comerford

One proviso I would add to Bobs statement is there are exceptions to every rule! ;-)

Lee, my advice to you would be to find a gap in the angling market and fill it!
Use the skills you already have and adapt them to the angling industry.

There are plenty of angling corporate events, high profile events, finals, trade days, that could possibly need something more than a mobile burger bar! ;-)

Email me and I'll give you some positive suggestions.

T

The Monk

Carp Burgers Lee, dont thinks its been done mate? free dinosaur with every bun

L

Little Stu!

Happy to train you to sell Lee, it aint about courses, its about ability within mate!