Pedigree Mixer

Daniel Roberts

Reaction score
I've started carp fishing recently and yesterday I had a reasonably successful day. An old couple that was fishing the lake with me gave me some Pedigree Mixer as they left so a few hours later I started surface fishing using a controller. The carp didn't stop taking them until I left at 8pm. I've bought some today for tomorrows session but need to know how to prepare them.

Am I right in assuming that after conditioned in water they expand? They look pretty small compared to what I was using yesterday.

Thanks for any help gained.

C

Chris Pearson

Daniel,
I put them in a small plastic bag,cover with just warm water leave for about 1 minute,drain all water off,seal bag and leave overnight,just then soft enough to cast even without a controller.
I also add Source liquid sometimes.
Hope this helps
ChrisP

G

Geoff Cowen

I use them just as they are. I have had loads of fish using them dry. I either hair rig them or use a bait band. Some have a better shape, which are more suited to use with the bait band. So be selective.
They soon swell up in the water but I have taken many fish just as the bait has hit the water while the bait is still hard and dry. I like to feed mixer regularly while bottom fishing but as soon as I see fish taking off the top I switch over to my floater controller rod.
If I don't get a fish within 10 minutes I go back to bottom fishing and keep repeating the process. Don?t forget you must be ready to strike as the fish can eject the bait very quickly. I don?t wait for the float to move but try to watch the bait. If you cannot see it strike at any rises near you float.

Daniel Roberts

Reaction score
Thanks Chris and Geoff. I am going to soak them now for use tomorrow and use unsoaked ones as surface bait to get the carp in my area.

B

Barry Edney

I prepare mine in a simular way to Chris, but instead of putting them in a bag I use a bait-box. Cover with boiling water for about thirty seconds. Then drain off the water and tip the mixers onto half a damp tea-towel. Cover with the other half of tea-towel, leave overnight and you will have perfect hookers next morning. As you say, use dry mixers as loose feed.

Daniel Roberts

Reaction score
I have just done as you do Barry. Put them in boiling water and covered them with damp towels. They still felt a little hard in the center although they aren't dry yet. Is this normal? I don't want to bend my baiting needle tomorrow as I only have 1 left!

B

Barry Edney

They will still be hard. Leave em covered until just before you leave tomorrow and they will be perfect.

M

matt thomas

i leave em about an hour in water then drain off and leave in a plastic bag,another excellent way of catching them is down the margins with just a hook on ,i use a pole but a rod does the same,i also use the hooks with a little tiny wire on which you push into the mixer hair rig style,it can be explosive fishing as you are so close in.dont let go of the rod(or pole)and have your clutch set properly to take line cos they shoot off like an express train
its simple and fun !

Tom Vahey

Reaction score
Matt,

Where did you get the hooks from and what are they called?

Thanks in advance.

Daniel Roberts

Reaction score
Thank you Barry. I prepared them as you said and they worked a treat. Caught my PB today at around 7lbs. Had to fight it for a while and pull it away from the reeds. Thank god for baitrunners!

M

matt thomas

i think they are either dinsmores or middy,they are at the caravan so i can't go and look,about 1.99 for 10 i think i paid

B

Barry Edney

Well done on catching your PB Daniel. Catching carp off the top is exciting stuff. Sometimes its more exhilerating than float fishing as you can see the carp taking all the freebies and getting so close to the one with the hook in, and then turning away at the last second. Buggers they are sometimes!

Go out and get that double next time!

Daniel Roberts

Reaction score
Yep, it's quite thrilling stuff. I played the fish pretty smartly after discovering a nice set of reeds and baiting the area. Crikey though... for a 7lb fish it had some real power. Going again Saturday so let's hope my first double-figure makes a showing!

Tom Vahey

Reaction score
Matt,

Saw some on www.bosfish.co.uk made by Dinsmores.
5 packets of hard/soft pellet Beast hooks to nylon in different hook sizes for ?9.99
but it's ?2 for postage.

Cheers.

M

matt thomas

yeh thats them,good quality and on my pole i don't even use anything else just the hooklength straight onto the connecter,ive not done it since early season though as i'm concentrating on my barbel fishing