DIY Tackle box / seat

Ian Humphries 3

Reaction score
Be gentle with me lads, this is me first one!! Does anybody know where I can find plans to make my own tackle box or tackle box seat? I have recently bought someones gear, who was selling up, it all came in a plastic seat box, but with a huge crack in it. As I'm not a lightweight (6' 6" & 16 1/2 stone) I fancy the idea of making my own. I've done lots of searches on google, etc. but come up empty handed so far! I know the basics of what I want, but don't see the point of re-inventing the wheel if someone has already come up with some plans? Cheers, Ian (newbie!!)

Simon Allard

Reaction score
I found your question by Googling "plans for home made tackle box" because like you I fancy making my own. Ideally I want something that has a seat on top that maybe opens up to reveal a tray or drawer containing floats, line, hooks etc. then somehow under that a largerspace for essentials like a thermos. The whole box would need a strap for carrying over my shoulder and be of a size to fit on the rack at the back of my push bike (for when I'm feeling energetic!). I think it would need to be made out of ply and use probably brass screws because they don't rust and that is as far as I've got!

Who else is prepared to pick up this design challenge batton?

David Craine

Reaction score
Ian .... I am a Joiner, and obviously an angler... what you are asking for is a carbon copy of a box I am presently making for sea fishing, I can tell you though , that the box is made of 3/8 exterior quality ply, with stainless fittings, and when it is finished it will be IMO far too heavy for a rack on a push bike,when full of gear. I have recently seen a Sundridge box which fits your requirements, try a Google search, I have no plans for the box, as I am making it by the rack o th"eye as they say, adapting it as I go along.

Hope you find what you are after.When the box is finished if you are still interested let me know, I will draw out the plans.....oh, I am about your size and weight so if it is good for me then it should suit you.

David.

Eimantas Ulrikas

Reaction score
google it for ice fishing tackle box or something like that, as they are made from aluminium, but not wood they really light

Emmo (Angling Trust)

Reaction score
Alot of sea fishing types I used to fish with adapted the small water tanks used as header tanks for central heating systems. Made of plastic so no wood to rot, lightweight and plenty of room for all the gear.

Lids were, as far as I remember, plywood and straps attached with stainless nuts/bolts.

Daniel Wilkie

Reaction score
hi, i would love to make my own tackle box as obv am a angler, i used to do trout fishing but now i prefer coarse fishing.

could anyone help me and tell me how to make a decent tackle box. I already have a few but they are either too big or the other one is just to small

if anyone could tell me what to use and how to make it that would be good

thanks

Daniel

M

MarkTheSpark

Go with emmo's header tank idea - a few sizes available, cut slots to hold the strap. In fact, a very well-known tackle manufacturer told me his plastic seat boxes were inspired by and are made by the firm that makes the header tanks. The lid was the only bit the tackle firm made, and latterly some trays to fit in it.

D

david bruce 1

As a boy my dad made me a box/set from the corner of a tea chest (3 sides) and made the rest from the remainder of the chest cut down. Painted it did many years of service and fitted on my bike's carrier because it was deliberatly made quite narrow. The I progressed to a wicker basket - happy days - still got the wicker one.