surface rigs!!

Darren Turpin

Reaction score
Hi Guys and girls..
I've just started out carping and what an amazing buzz.....

What i would like to ask is i have no idea how to set up a controller rig for floating the chum mixers properly(never been shown)does the line have to be sunk or floated?

I've heard you have to put vasaline along the hook length??????

All help will be well used...Thats a promise(what a good sport carping is!!!)

Cheers

C

Cliff Hatton

Darren - can't advise you on controllers...never used one. However, here's a rig I invented years ago for floater-fishing at distance in deep water.
Make a paternoster trace (ie swivel/line/lead)as long as your rod, or thereabouts.Put your main line through the swivel then simply tie on your hook. Bait the hook. When you hold up your rod, the rig looks quite ridiculous...you see a dog-biscuit/piece of crust literally touching your tip-eye...then 10-12ft of nylon at the end of which is your bomb. The paternoster swivel is hanging against the bait. assuming you have chosen a spacious swim, you then make a pendulous cast. If your trace is actually longer than the depth of the water, your bait will, naturally, float (It has no choice) However, if you are casting into very deep water, by the time the trace has straightened under water, your bait has established its buoyancy and will remain on the surface. It might momentarily duck an inch or two, but it'll be back up in one second. This is only an exaggerated, standard paternoster rig but the standard version will not always allow your floating bait to rise all the way. My version does.

Beecy

Reaction score
Cliff,I like the sound of this rig,nice and simple. Would you use this rig just as you describe if you knew the depth to be shallower than a rod length or would you shorten the link?

And what weight bomb would you use for fishing a single mixer at say 20-30 yards?

C

Cliff Hatton

Yes - there would be no need for a 11-12ft paternoster trace in 6ft of water.

I started using this method on the Railway Lake at Johnsons back in the early 80s. The water toward the reedy end was pretty deep and crust lobbed out on a standard paternoster failed to rise; not only might the weed have snagged it, but 60-70 yds of 8lb mono is quite a weight for a 2inch square piece of bread to drag up. The answer was to give the bread less of a job to do, so I gave it a rod-length start. You can tether a floating crust in any depth using this method. To this day, I have never seen anybody else using it.

PS: It caught me a 26-10 from the Railway.
Half-ounce will do for your idea.

Beecy

Reaction score
Sorry to be a pest Cliff, is the patermoster link totaly free to move along the line to the hook or do you use some form of stop bfore the hook.

I am thinking that if it is totaly free the hook could become stuck in the swivel eye? or the bait could be knocked off the hook by the swivel.

I can also see potential problems with the bomb snagging the bottom whilst playing a fish, do you use the same strength line for the link or would a weak link be better in snaggy areas?

C

Cliff Hatton

I agree it would be a good idea to use a 'rotton bottom' for the paternoster-trace.

I've only ever used the method for crusting.
If you hook the crust what I call 'properly', the swivel et al dangle/pull against the BAIT. The hook-eye (or spade) should not be proud of the bait, so it won't come into contact with the swivel.
Your crust will NOT be knocked or pulled off by the swivel (+ bomb) during even the most strenuous cast; so, no - no need for a bead or anything. It really is a beautifully simple method of tethering a crust, at distance, in ANY DEPTH OF WATER.

You can gingerly 'tighten-up' until the bait bobs and be in pretty direct contact with a taking fish, unless you're fishing in ridiculously deep water, but that doesn't mean you can't PRESENT a bait in any depth. Get the take first, then worry about it!

This method is copyright: any unauthorized use will warrant the angler liable to make me a brew.

Beecy

Reaction score
Thanks Cliff, I will definately give this method a go and let you know if I have any success, although I may have missed the boat for surface fishing at my local lake for this year.

C

Cliff Hatton

Try it with a floating deadbait then, especially on a calm, windless morning. Fish as you would with crust, but give the line (bait) a tweak every 5 mins or so; send out some ripples. Don't be hasty. If there are pike in the water, they'd have seen it and will have their eye on it!

Darren Turpin

Reaction score
sheffield wednesday football club....

I tried your rig cliff and pulled 3 doubles in using it.

Cheers.

C

Cliff Hatton

You're jokin'....so soon!

Pleased to be of assistance (It's far nicer than arguing about the royal family!)

Darren Turpin

Reaction score
No joke cliff,
I set it up as directed i was amazed how many more takes i had on this rig compared to my normal set up.
Although all 3 doubles were not on the same day..... (i manage to get out 3-4 evening's a week!)
This rig is ideal more my local lakes as the are shallow almost all over, thanks for the advice 2i think i will stick to this rig in future"

Cheers.