bizzare things

Dave Mcfluffchucker

Reaction score
i just had a mail from a chap who bought some big six inch pike bombers from me (lime green zonker tail and body and a massive green muddler head and a big pair of rattle eyes on a 3/0 hook) and hes just caught a big salmon on it i think he was on the tay in scotland

so it got me thinking what strange things have people caught when out fly fishing catch something that was totally unexpected on the fly , to make it more interesting ill give away a pair of the afore mentioned muddlers as a prize for the best one anyone from anywhere on the globe can enter lets have em

winner will be announced at the end of sept
tight lines all
dave

S

Shrek

I caught a bat on my backcast the other evening. Does that count, or does it have to come from the water?

Dave Mcfluffchucker

Reaction score
and we are off and running that will do nicely but im sure its going to get a lot stranger knowing some of the people on here

M

michael bracken

once i was fishing at my local trout fishery, i had set up and tied on my fly properly! pulled it to test the knot as i usually do, cast out it was a very nice and smooth cast too, brought it back in and the fly was gone!!!

C

Cliff Hatton

Michael - the 'problem' with your contribution (above) is that the incident doesn't recount very well...it was so straightforward wasn't it! And yet the mystery remains...how the Hell did that fly come off?!!!!

davestocker

Reaction score
The lobe of my right ear, on a Size 12 black buzzer, on Killintgton Reservoir in Cumbria. Ended up needing a series of tetanus jabs, a mimi op in a hospital involving a stitch, and another trip for its removal................

C

Cliff Hatton

....and talking of mysteries....How, just HOW did THIS happen?

I think it was actually the last time I saw Martin Gay alive; we were tenching at Culverts Mere, Essex, and, as usual, it was Martin getting most of the action, such as it was. As I recall, he'd had one of about 4lb and was getting enough lifts on his bottle-top to keep him 'interested' - no more than that, things were pretty slow.

He then had a one inch lift, then another, after which the dolly dropped. The dolly faffed around for some time - up and down - before deciding to hit the rod. In his usual ice-cool fashion, Martin waited for the line to tighten enough to bend the rod and to dig into the crook of his index finger before striking. On doing so, the rod curved over and Martin was 'into one'. It soon became apparent that this was no Tinca and, after a minute or so, a pike of about 6lb came over the net - backwards!

On inspection, Martin's size 10 had securely and deeply hooked the pike in the tail root!
Now, as per my last message (above)this doesn't make for particularly exciting reading...we've all foul-hooked fish from time to time. But WHAT, exactly, had been going on down there?!!! How does a small hook come through and out of a boilie and penetrate one of the toughest parts of a PIKE'S anatomy? Was the pike responsible for the run? I suppose it wouldn't be so much fun if we knew the answers to such questions.....On Bala a few years back, my brother and I caught the same grayling at the same time! One of us had hooked it in the lip, the other had lassoed round the tail! When I'm asked if I've ever caught a grayling, my answer is 'half of one!'

Dave Mcfluffchucker

Reaction score
i think the grayling goes into the lead that is truly a bit bizzare how on earth did you manage to lassoe it

davestocker

Reaction score
then there was the time I was fly fishing on Cleveley Mere, a stocked trout lake between Lancaster and Garstang. I was nymphing from a boat in a sheltered bay, I got a take, hooked the fish (a rainbow of about a pound and a half) which promptly came to the surface and - died.

In almost 30 years of flyfishing since, this has never happened again, nor have I heard of it happening to anyone else.

Dave Mcfluffchucker

Reaction score
hi dave is that why you havent got a picture on your profile in case the same happens to us no offence ment but somebody whould say it sooner or later you know what there like on here , bulldog chewing a wasp thats me

M

michael bracken

" Michael - the 'problem' with your contribution (above) is that the incident doesn't recount very well...it was so straightforward wasn't it! And yet the mystery remains...how the Hell did that fly come off?!!!! "

i dont know, thats why its bizzare!

a pike could have bitten through the line, you never know

NT

Reaction score
.. my most bizzare thing was a swan mussel at Grafham last year (they took a black booby on a sunk line on a fast retrieve if any one is interested and caught & released)
Neil.
(I hear they are caught quite often there as well as the odd zander, bream, pike, roach..)

C

Cliff Hatton

Upper Chelmer, a few years ago....I was playing a half-decent chub of around 3lb when it suddenly became much heavier; a pike of around 12lb had grabbed it and was giving me the run-around.

I eventually steered both fish into the landing net (it had been a very exciting episode on such a modest river)and set about unhooking the chub, now lying apart from it's attacker...but there was no hook in the chub's mouth and I assumed that it had merely worked loose as hooks often do. I returned the chub immediately then started to unravel the lead, swivel, hook etc from the net. On 'following' the line down, I found the hook firmly in the scissors of the PIKE'S jaw!

C

Cliff Hatton

1965 - My dad hooked, played and landed a RAT in the middle of the night thinking, right up until the last moment, that it was a tench. He couldn't believe his eyes when he unfolded the wet net and the 'tench' ran away!

I was with him. I swear this is true.

Richard Baker 4

Reaction score
I once cast towards a sizeable rainbow at a gin clear stalking water in France. the fish was cruising about a foot down at about twenty yards out moving away from me. I cast beyond the fish and clearly saw it ignore my nymph. However with the nymph two yards behind the fish as I completed my retreive (and the fish having shown no apparant interest I was suddenly attached to it) the fish tore off towards the centre of the lake running me down to the backing. But it had not taken the fly, I could clearly see the fly two yards away from the fish as it faught. On gettin it to the net I realised I had snagged an old leader that was connected to another nymph, still firmly in the scisors of the Rainbow. It had broken someone off!! taking their leader and about a foot of fly line. By some miracle I had hooked the braided loop connection at the end of the fly line. The fish weighed six anda half pounds and ate well!!!

Dave Mcfluffchucker

Reaction score
my contribution is this :- i was fly fishing for pike on the derwent near derby which is quite shallow so was using a floating line and 7ft leader as the line swung through the slow current my line went tight and as i struck the rod bent over and line started coming off the reel my mate who had seen this joined me and we both saw a long brown shape at least 3 ft long and really thick in the water with a silverish belly some distance out "a great big bloody eel my mate says" as it went back down more line started coming of as the current got stronger as i was down to the backing i started to imaging my bemming face in the pages of all the angling mags we followed the eel some 100 yards down the river were i started getting some line back in some slack water my bud had got himself down the bank on the other side of a big bush in the slack were i couldnt see him with the net as the eel was coming in but at an angle to this bush so he was in the right place. after a moment i heard uncontolable laughing my mate had netted one of those long plastic sandbags they use to hold down road signs it obviously was half buried in the sand of the river bed and algie had discoloured the top section my fly had nicked the top of the bag were they seal it , so with that and the sand shifting in the bag as i was playing it really did feel like an eel ........took me a long tme to live that one down ......regards
dave mc fluffchucker

p.s no i wont win the comp this is just to give you all a laugh

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

I was fishing in France with Graham.....

He had a run in the middle of the night,struck, and started playing 'a big fish'.
I was standing with the landing net,'waiting to do the honours'
As 'the fish' neared a large bush to the side of the swim to our amazement it started to climb out of the water and up into the branches ......
I eventually managed to net 'the fish' which turned out to be a large coypu !!!