Potatoes

Robbie H

Reaction score
Hello all,
Anyone used these in the past? Have been looking at the tinned ones in the supermarket (17p a tin! for 1/3 kg). Thought they might aid the prebaiting for my local river carp.

Any thoughts?

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Par boiled spuds were a thing of the late 60s early 70s. No reason why they wont work though, give em a try, Bob Nudd does.

I'd go for an Aunt Bessie spud over a bed of roast Beef n Yorkshire pud!

A smidgin of gravy as glug might help too.

:eek:)

Robbie H

Reaction score
It was the roast yesterday, that put the idea in my head or was it stomach!

T

The Monk

To be honest Warren, we spent many years using par boiled as carp baits, but basically many other baits proved far more superior, even the old honey paste of course we use to use built cane rods too, but they are also a load of crap compaired with modern materials.

L

Les Clark

Tinned spuds may be a bit on the soft side ,plus they have a odd flavour ,find some small new spuds and flavour with what you will ,I used black treackle ,but to be honest , it didn`t do that well but spuds on one rod is worth a go .

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

The truth of the matter is that par boiled spuds were useless. They had to be boiled soft and then partly peeled, leaving a bit of skin so that the hook held in place.

I have caught carp on spuds in SA but never in England. You cant fish spuds it distance.

My old mate Steve Crawshaw did quite well with boiled turnip.

Michael Howson

Reaction score
Didnt the late great **** Walker catch his record redmire carp on a par-boiled potato.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
i remember writing to julian cundif about fishing with spuds and he replied that rod hutchinson called them the worst carp bait of all time!!! no real food value to them and a bugger to keep on the hair.
but i dont see it being a problem using them in the margins and i suppose you could cast them a short distance.you could even dye them and soak them in flavourings to make them look like a boillie type bait.

Robbie H

Reaction score
I'm going to use them in my prebaiting. I have some cracking carp in a small stretch of my local river. The only problem is there are some large bream also.
I have been using a vitalin mix to prebait, but the bream mop this up by the time the carp have arrived and thus the carp move on quickly. And i can only access the river by one location. So moving with the carp is out. So the plan is to use large food items and hopefully put off the bream and keep the carp interested. The spuds will be fed along with 22mm homemade boilies. The spuds have been dyed & flavoured the same as the boilies.
I would use kg's of boilies, but that costs alittle too much for my pocket.

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
Spuds are still catching loads, just ask the match boys, they colour them and shape them and the if the stupid fish picks it up for a looky then with todays rigs it should be hooked. But as an ongoing long term bait it has to be shite!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't it?

B

Bully

I am going fishing with a couple of potato's next week. Not sure I have a big enough hook though!!

T

The Monk

try threading a wire trace with a baiting needle and put a treble hook on the end

Robbie H

Reaction score
If my memory serves me correct, Mr Crabtree fished spuds on a treble hook.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

**** Walker caught his record Redmire Carp on balanced bread paste and crust.

A bit of crust on the bend of the hook and paste on the rest so that it sinks very slowly and does not disappear into soft bottom weed. I have caught lots of tench by this method and quite a few carp.

Walker never really rated potatoes as bait.

His good friend Maurice Ingham, however, caught lots of carp in the early 50s on potatoes, mainly because he baited heavily with them in the small lake at Benniworth Haven near Louth - Lincs.

Sun SunShine

Reaction score
I still like to use potatoes because it brakes the pressure and gives that little advantage to cautious carp taking your offerings.
When boiling your potatoes , just un-done , not over-boiled , in the potatoeskin with sweetner or honey and lots of spices ( e.g. garlic or curry ).
And when you like to cast them you have to wrap it in pva-netting , works ok or use a bait-boat.

Mike Redding

Reaction score
Using a bait boat to deliver potatoes.....

Is it just me, or is there something realy, really funny (and ever so slightly ironic) about that!

Mike.

Sun SunShine

Reaction score
Dear reader ,

Here in my own backyard , the district of the great sand-pits and an immense pressure on the banks , we have to cross distances of more then 120-140 meters with depths over 15-20 meters .( with even more feeding difficulties )
If you want to be a little more alluring to get that +40 lbs before your nearest neighbour , just 80-100 meters next to you on both sites.
It is perhaps that potatoe that flips your weigh-beam in your advantage , but first how to get it on your spot ?
With a bait-boat.

Sun,