kingfishers

shaun coxall

Reaction score
I would like some advice, my grand daughter has become totally besotted with nature, she is 6yrs of age and looking through a bird book the other day she commented on how beautiful the king fisher is.I am taking her on an outing shortly , with fishing in mind, and would love for her to catch a glimpse of this incredible creature. Living in Wolverhampton, has any one ideas where i might head for, keeping in mind i really dont want to travel miles in the event she gets restless.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Pools or streams with plenty of trees round about are usually home to the beatiful kingfisher. They tend to fish over shallow water in the fringes where they can perch on a handy branch and dive straight down for the minnows.

Its always been my experience as a fisherman to catch a glimpse of these birds out of the corner of my eye, that flash of electric blue and green plumage that is the kingfishers crowning glory, it really is a wonderful sight. I've only once had the pleasure of watching him feed and that was on the Teme one summer morning and I stopped fishing just to watch him.

Your daughter will love it if she gets the opportunity to see him but you very rarely see them in a close up situation I warn you, its more likely to be a passing bird in flight. Once you find one you can keep going back because they seem somewhat territorial.

S

Steve King

Graham is quite right there are plenty of kingfishers on the Teme. Try Cotheridge or one of the other BAA waters near Worcester - I'm sure it will be worth the 40 mile or so journey.

T

The Monk

I actually saw a Kingfisher in Rochdale this morining, just opposite the bus station, Kingfishers have significantly proliferated in the UK in recent years, particulary since the decline in heavy industries

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

I have actually had a kingfisher perched on my rod while I was touch legering on the Upper Severn .....

shaun coxall

Reaction score
i have also experienced The King on the Teme , just past Ludlow, with my Dad years ago,and for a fleeting moment i also had one on my rod. Would the Severn give me any chance. Bridgnorth etc.

P

paul williams 2

Shaun.......a walk along the Staffs/Worcs canal at kinver (coming from wolves turn right just after where the Stewpony used to be) canal is just before kinver.......park in car park and have a stroll along the canal towards Kiddy.......seen them here when i took my nipper fishing, along with many other types of birds in the tall trees and surroundings.......may hear a woodpecker or two as a bonus.........nothing guaranteed but worth a look ( pub near by!)

A

Alan Cooper

Like ED I have had a Kingfisher perch on my rod whilst fishing the Teme. They are much more prolific than they once were and you'll see them on many rivers nowadays. But of the rivers mentioned here and within your easy reach, I think Graham is right to recommend the Teme. But watch the banks - especially if it is wet. Dangerous! Get a dog spike and a rope.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Too far for Shaun to take his granddaughter but there are plenty of kingfishers along the Dove and the upper Trent. One of my favourite swims on the Dove has a kingfisher's nest in the opposite bank and we watch them going in and out of their nest and perched outside it most of the time we're there.

T

The Monk

I`ve also had them perch on the rod, rods are ideal perches for Kingfishers, I actually photographed one once from the bivvy, they usually give you a slight bleeb on the alarm as they land, but they dont stay long

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Had two sat on my rod once Monk, only there for 4 or 5 seconds but absolutely fantastic, especially as I was sitting right by my rods at the time, they were only about 12 feet away.

T

The Monk

fantastic, I`ve only on two occassions actually seen more than one at once, but never on my rods, that would have made a good picture Richard

F

Fred Bonney

That time I was at Throop,mentioned in my little piece,I had one fish off my brollie,an unbelievable sight,especially when any movement,stops you getting a picture.
You can always hear them coming,flying up or down stream, they give a little call,you just have to be quick to spot them.

T

The Monk

I think we have two very distinctive birds in Britain, that if you catch a glimpse of them, you immediately know which ones they are, those are the Kingfisher and the green Woodpecker, both of which, as a bird watcher and naturalist, I have seem quite a few of, but I still get excited at each new sighting.

mind you ruffe slappers have a similar effect on me!

shaun coxall

Reaction score
I work on the railway , so i get to see a lot of different species of wildlife and birdlife due to us going to places where mankind is very rarely seen. I have noticed an abundance of green woodpeckers recently, i have even had them in my garden. This can only be good news to the nature enthusiast. Also get access off the railway to some incredible fishing locations that would make your mouth water. They are totally untouched my man, but to attempt to fish them would be classed as trespass, pity.