What a load of blarney!!

B

Big Swordsy :O)

Will the stocking of carp into Irish lochs in anyway reverse the downward trend in fishing holidays to the emerald isles?

NO!

why dont they start by getting a grip on
1) pollution
2) pollution
3) pollution
4) pollution
5) pollution

Then they could tackle

1) illegal netting of coarse fish
2) illegal netting of coarse fish
3) illegal netting of coarse fish

And finishing with

1) giving the punter value for money
2) Concentrating on what they have before worrying about what they havent
3) getting shut of the bent authorities that are responsible for the downturn in Irelands water quality and bio-diversity

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I tend to agree with you Lee, most of the loughs in Ireland are connected to rivers so any stocking will result in rivers full of carp and that would be a tragedy.

As for pollution, most, if not all, of it is caused by farmers as a result of the EU encouraging them to change their way of farming from the traditional methods to the high production methods in return for greater wealth. I'm not sure that you will convince those farmers to change back again unless of course there are more financial rewards.

There are very few carp fisheries in Ireland even now and its not all that long ago when there weren't any all but of course they too are responding to demand from mostly British anglers for an alternative to the non productive rivers. If the carp were restricted to landlocked waters then perhaps it wouldn't be such a bad thing but to introduce them willy nilly into connected waterways will result in disaster. Personally I can't imagine going to Ireland for a week to fish a carp lake but there are loads of anglers that will.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I've never been to Ireland, but it seems a shame to me.

They're not going to able to compete with the Commercial or Big Carp waters we already have in the UK.

Oh dear.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

If they start polluting Irish waters with ratfish then I doubt if I will ever go there again. Perhaps maybe for a bit of trout fishing.

This report truly sickens me.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Graham.
Even if they did only stock landlocked lakes with carp, what makes you think they would stay in them?

R

Robin Higgins

The most depressing thing about this whole saga is that I have, for the first time in my life, found myself agreeing with Keith Arthur in the AT!

He was asking why would English punters pay to go and fish a commerical hole in the ground in Ireland when they can fish a commercial hole in the ground ten minutes from their own doorstep?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Baz, there are already a small number of carp lakes so any illegal transferring of fish is capable of being carried out now, the Irish will respond to demand and if theres a demand for carp lakes they will provide them, its money to them and the aesthetics will not bother them one jot.

I have spent many a happy holiday in Ireland, I was even prepared to spend my retirement there but the missus put her foot down, I absolutely love the place for its way of life and natural fishing and though carp are a no no for me, I know how the Irish think, if theres money in it they will do it.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Agreed Graham mate.
I would also like to live in Ireland for their laid back life style.
but it would be a big mistake to stock their waters with carp. The biggest silver fishery around and they want to get rid of it.

M

madpiker

i agree with you swordsy,they need to address the problems of pollution,silting of spawning beds ,illegal and legal gill netting.
they already have a species that could generate plenty of revenue from tourist anglers,ie,pike,but they`ve done their level best to eradicate them,thus making it a waste of time targetting pike as a sporting species in a lot of areas.even in areas where pike haven`t been culled,the authorities have allowed the killing of pike (by kraut and frog anglers mainly) to go unpunished.i`ll never set foot on irish soil again,at least while they keep on slaughtering pike and coase fish in many areas.stocking ratfish to encourage tourism?how stupid and short sighted.

G

Gary Knowles 2

whats even sadder is I agree with Ron.

Where will it all end....I'll tell you. In tears !

Joskin

Reaction score
Would have been a good idea if the AT had provided an address to write to so anglers can voice there oppinions.

Michael Howson

Reaction score
Stocking and creating carp fisheries in Ireland seems to me akin to putting lipstick on a corpse. I think they would be far better employed addressing the current and ongoing problems as reffered to by lee.I havent been for a few years now but my fishing pals have decided to go to Holland the last couple of years with fair results and i visit Denmark regularly so that is one group theyve lost and i suspect many more will do the same. A few years ago it was a way of getting away from the carp to a bit of natural fishing for a few days and i honestly cant envisage people paying good money to go and get what they can get on their doorstep.

T

The Monk

Cork Lough has had carp in it since the 60s? The Cork Carp Catchers Club used to fish the place regulary, not sure about a reintroduction though!

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Whilst I agree regarding pollution, netting etc, isn't a large part of the massive decline in bream stocks due to the phenomenal spread of roach through county Cavan and the entire Shannon system in the last thirty years? And have zebra mussels any part in all this? Carp aren't the answer.

Whereas chub and barbel in the Cork Blackwater....

Ron, have you had aversion therapy to c**p?

T

tom riordan

I think we should worry about English pollution,the northwest carp crisis and australian carp that have been introduced into this country before we start putting Ireland to rights, you seem happy to trot over to France every weekend to fish Carp puddles,so why not go to Ireland. Meanwhile I will continue to fish through the tidal waves of used sanitary towels in our pristine waters.