sycamore tree

shaun coxall

Reaction score
Fishing near a Sycamore tree the other day, i heard this plopping in the water. Intrigued i went to investigate. It was a black oily substance dripping into the pool and onto the bank, i have never come across this before off any tree, any ideas?

D

Deecy

They are a relative of the Maple tree so it may be sap dripping naturally as the leaves die.Taste the stuff,might be just like Maple syrup !!

njb51

Reaction score
dip your boilies or whatever in it!

could give you a much needed edge!

shaun coxall

Reaction score
Never thought of bait additive, there was so much i could have bottled it. Might give it a go, who knows?

C

Cliff Hatton

Dunno about sycamores, but I'll never forget the delight I felt on seeing - and feeling - for the first time a weeping willow positively crying its eyes out, so to speak. It might well have been raining hard.
(Not a lot of people know about the willow's weeping capabilities....)

shaun coxall

Reaction score
Sorted, My mate reckons it's Wood pigeons that have glutted them selves on Elderberries . They just sit for hours crapping it out of them. Forget me bottling the stuff now.

P

Phil Hackett PCPL with Pride

What you witness is known as Black Tar Spot. This year due to the dry conditions many trees have suffered from it. Discussing this, coincidently, yesterday at a tree conference with fellow ecologist, it was a consensual view that we will see more of it affecting sycamores as global warming and dryer summers increase.
It was also the view that it is a resin produced it the leave, the reasons why the trees should only produce it in dry conditions are not full understood.

As yet it is thought that it is not a sign of ill health of the tree. This may change if further observational research finds otherwise.
Whether such research is carried out remains to be seen, as sycamores aren?t an economically valuable timber.

The principle reason it was plopping out so readily, is that the trees are starting to shutdown for the winter, and the sap is no longer running and feeding the leaves. As a result, the internal leaf structure, which has held the tar spot in place is starting to breakdown, allowing the tar to run out.

shaun coxall

Reaction score
Thank you Phil for such a comprehensive answer. Should'nt think Black Tar Spot will make a good bait additive, i will leave well alone.