good reels

carpman

Reaction score
hi all im looking around for a great reel but not costing the earth i did alot of carp fishing a time ago then i found the pole fishing then i was hooked (sorry bout that) realy got into it but now i wiped down my carp rods and my reels are started to look old and its time to get two new ones.any help would be great.

many thanks carpman.

mol

Reaction score
Baitrunner/big pit
Price range?

mol

Reaction score
The shimano baitrunners are good reels, I had a pair of RE's for 15 years, they're bullet proof. The drags can be a little snatchy on some of the small baitrunners but it's not going to cost you fish.

I've never used them but the Okuma baitrunner reels are supposed to be excellent and very good value for money. They really might be worth a look at in the shop.

The bad one

Reaction score
hi all im looking around for a great reel but not costing the earth i did alot of carp fishing a time ago then i found the pole fishing then i was hooked (sorry bout that) realy got into it but now i wiped down my carp rods and my reels are started to look old and its time to get two new ones.any help would be great.

many thanks carpman.

Two fo my mates have mini big pits that have a baitrunner facility on the front, but I can't remember what make they are :confused:
I use Okuma's and for the money you want to spend you'd get the largest model which I think is 60 and top of the range Epix baitrunner.

I've used two Epix 40 Bait runners for my river fishing for 7 years now without any mechanical problems. Paintworks a bit chipped through dragging them across stones, rocks and sand though :eek:

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
For that money, go with okuma. I've had mine for over 5 years and only the silver plastic coating on the front spool, drag/spool release has come of (which is no bad thing as it won't catch any bright light).
If you had twice the money, then Shimano.

saxon

Reaction score
For a penny under £45 you can get a basic Shimano Baitrunner 6000 ST-RA with a reel case thrown in from a well known Tackle Emporium just north of Chesterfield :wh

Foxy

Reaction score
Have a nose on e bay and get yourself some shimano bait runners

cg74

Reaction score
Carpman, I'd look at either Okuma or Wychwood reels, all reels I've owned from both companies have had silky smooth clutches and reasonable longevity.
So offer exceptional value for money and bound to be a model to meet your requirements.:)

tortoise100

Reaction score
I have three okuma reels now my best is an interceptor pro , very nice and smooth. The other two are the basic silvera and the silvera pro these are the base models and not as good as the intercepter but then I don't think the fish care .
My brother has the middle one with two bearings for around £20 it's very nice but you might be able to get an interceptor for £30 brand new .
The only problem I have had is that the nut under the spool can loosen off ,it's no big problem you just take the spool of and tighten this nut every now and then.
Mine get allot of abuse never taken off the rods always carried on the outside of a rod quiver and used at least 2 times a week for almost two years .
They are looking a bit scratched but work fine I will get a shimano baitrunner sometime just to see what all the fuss is about and to see if they are that much better than okumas .
PS okuma is the bigest reel maker out there and allot of the other reels are okumas anyway ,fox for example but okumas are the only ones to come with a five year warenty.

If you want a 4 ball bearing baitrunner reel in size 55 then check out mullarkeys fluke reels you can get two for £20 they are very impressive comparable to the okumas but I have no idea about life span , got some for my brother in law and he does not fish very much but they are very smoth and solid.