Chalkstream Grayling Fishing (book it now)

Richard Baker 4

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've spoken to quite a few people recently regarding winter grayling fishing on the chalkstreams of Hampshire and Wiltshire. One common theme has occured. People have some pre-conceived perceptions about the chalkstreams and price. Something I'd like to set clear so as to encourage people to realise that these waters are accessable.

Winter Grayling fishing on the chalkstreams is becoming more and more common as private fisheries realise they can make their business last almost all year round through Grayling fishing.

Rivers including the Test, Itchen, Kennet and Avon open up beats that in the trout season cost upwards of ?125 a day. Prices for a days grayling fishing range from around ?15 to ?30. These prices are very comparable with most rainbow stillwaters, but I think you'll agree that the venues are vastly superior.

I'd encourage any keen fly fisherman to get on the internet, find some venues through Google, get a booking made and get on the chalkstreams.

lets face it. a chalkstream in early October is little differnetto a chalkstream in late september (well its about ?120 cheaper) The trout still take as well (by accident of course). until around December when they have other things on their minds.

These rivers do get booked up so I'd advise you look into it early rather than later. Cracking fishing, not all that well known.

Cheers

Rich

Fishing Gimp

Reaction score
I love this time of year as the Grayling are in top form and really come into their own. The trotting rods and heavy nymphing gear are sitting in my study greased, cleaned and ready to roll.

Those fat Wiltshire 2lb'ers are calling to me and I will answer their call this weekend!

K

Keith Orange

Richard, I never knew day ticket grayling fishing was available on the southern chalk streams. I thought they were preserved for old colonels and stockbrokers !

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Now if it was just down the road, I would book a few days tommorrow.

But 250 miles!!!

R

Richard Drayson

For anybody interested in grayling fishing in Hampshire, there is a fabulous stretch of the R. Test at Timsbury.
Phone Andy (bailiff) on 01264 365165 for further details.

Richard Baker 4

Reaction score
I've fished the Timsbury water. Superb in parts. Gets battered though as winter goes on soget there mid week if you can. Bat anglers take this place apart at weekends so I'd advise mid week to avoid the crowds.

Also some huge roach, chub and beleive it or not Carp in this stretch of the test and its carriers.

I've just spoken to Wherwell estate about their winter grayling fishing. Their weekends are already booked up until end of Oct but givr them a call for midweek and weekends after this date on 01264 860243. A great bit of water on the test and its carriers.

Regards

Rich

Richard Baker 4

Reaction score
Ron,

These waters are worth a few days if you can make the time. There are bed and breakfast places all over the place down there at really reasonable rates. I'd join you for a day if you fancy coming downand doing a few days. Be happy to put you on some good water.Nevermind the grayling, you should see the size of some of the roach. Not many of them around but when you find them they're huge.

Cheers,

Rich