Biggest Bulls*****r you have come across

Blunderer

Reaction score
Fishing has always attracted an element of bullsh1tters. I have come across a few in my time, but a few stand out....

The owner of my local post office(Summerseat, Bury) claims to have caught a 6lb roach at Elmhirst Lakes caravan site Lincoln!! And he is a decent, experienced angler!

The bailiff at Pilsworth in Bury who would tell you anything to get you to fish in the 90s. He once reckoned he had put ten 30s in his lake, that he had put barbel in, that a 27lber had been caught - all total fabrication.

And many, many more from strangers on the bank.

What's your best?

T

The Monk

hey, your only up the road from me mate, spent many years on pilsworth in the 70s, whats best carp in there these days?

Blunderer

Reaction score
Haven't fished it for years but learnt a lot on there in my younger days. The biggest one I had was around 19, a common with a kinked back. I had it twice. I doubt there is anything bigger.
I went back there about three years ago to do a single night, more for old times sake than anything else. About 12 scallies had an all-night party on the next peg and I vowed to never go back there again. I have moved on significantly since then - I don't fish anywhere in the Bury area or even close.
Where are you from?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

The worst bullshitter I ever heard was the bloke who claimed he had caught 30 2lb roach in 30 casts on the Don in Rotherham.

T

The Monk

I`m down in Rhodes, side of the lodges Blunderer, like you though not fished them for years

M

madpiker

i once had a bloke tell me that he regularly caught 30lb pike from a local canal,and that his mate had caught a 52lb er from the tiverton canal!
only the other day,some know it all on a boat trip informed me that his rod was a self strike model and that he could cast 150yds with an underhand flick when he was uptiding!!!!!!!!

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
I'd say the majority of anglers are bullshitters. They don't know it though. They never weight their fish, they guestimate, very optimistically! Here are some classics I've been told about:

36lb Pike from the Macclesfield Canal
9lb Tench from Todd Brook Reservoir
11lb Barbel from the River Goyt
32lb Carp from Roman Lakes
14lb Bream from Debdale Reservoir

Yeah yeah yeah

P

Phil Hackett PCPL with Pride

Ric
First one?s a possibility - I know back in the 90s a genuine 32 did come out of the Bridgwater. So a canal can throw up a fish in the 30s

Second one - don?t know the water so I really couldn?t say, other than Bosley has in the past produced a genuine 9 lbs fish.

Third one - it will do at some point

Forth one Yeh right!

Last one - eat sh1t and die, my mate was the bailiff when the guy who was supposed to have had it. And he spoke to him, a day or two after he caught it??... Didn?t weigh it, no photos, no idea whatsoever about fishing. Billy, Billy, Billy Bullsdh1ter. His words not mine!

Beecy

Reaction score
There was a bloke who came in the tackle shop were I worked as a teenager who made out he was **** Cleggs best mate, he was allways going on about what he and "cleggy" had got up to.

One afternoon while he was in the shop giving us another cleggy story, **** Clegg walked in to talk busines with the owner and never gave the bloke a second look. Not seen him since.

Beecy

Reaction score
in fact, the tackle shop is the only place to be if you want to hear real good quality b***ocks being talked.

I've seen rods smashed in three places that "happened on the first cast" and reels with gears stripped that were "like that when I got it home"

Friday afternoons were the best when all the club/match men were in getting supplies for the weekend, we called it the tea time liars club.

P

paul williams 2

the biggest group of angling bullshitters i know are midland "club" barbel anglers.....they have more 10lb barbs off the Severn, Teme and Wye in a season than most of us could catch in a lifetime!

P

paul williams 2

Oh and my mate the Zander angler follows closely.....he reckons WBA will stay up :)

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

And never carry any scales mate.

The standard Brummie double weighs about 5 1/2 lbs.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Phil

I know about that Pike you refer to. If my memory serves me right it was caught at Thelwall. I think there was another that just scraped into the 30's that was caught several times in the area between Seamon's Moss and Dunham.

I don't know if you know the Macc Canal though, it's a completely different beast. It's always highly coloured and while it does produce Pike, they don't tend to be big. I know an area where you can catch several low doubles (I won't mention it, Baz will get upset, he might bailiff this water):) The best I've heard of was 21, that was back in the late sixties, caught by my uncle.

This 36 was a 'porkie' of the highest order. Apparently he killed the fish (as they did in those days). He tried to get back on the 232 back down to Cheadle Hulme but the driver wouldn't let them on. So they waited on hour for the next one during which time they cut the fish in half. It fed the family for several days.

Yeah right!!!!

Beecy

Reaction score
Ron, hope you did'nt think I was being disrespectful to **** Clegg, apologies if it read wrong.

C

Cakey

ask Stu about the geezer at a lake in Gravesend...........................