Gritting.

matthew barter

Reaction score
I've only got anecdotal evidence about gritting but it does surprise me that enviromental groups haven't (or at least haven't suceeded) bringing to the fore about the damage that gritting does to the enviroment. They are now adding molasses to the mix. This apparently makes the salt go further. What greater or lesser damage does this do to the rivers?

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I've heard they pre-wet the mixture now with water, gives the salt a start in breaking down. First I've heard of molasses though, they'll have the horses and dogs licking the road! ;)

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
if there was no gritting the roads I would be unable to get to work.
It is nothing new, councils have been gritting roads for many years.
every winter the question arises ,where does all the salt end up?
Yes it ends up in our rivers and it washes away, but can anyone prove it did any long term damage?
Many rivers are tidal, and inevitably salty or brackish water must enter the systems , are these areas devoid of fish?
and if I can't get to work I can't afford to go fishing......

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I've heard they pre-wet the mixture now with water, gives the salt a start in breaking down. First I've heard of molasses though, they'll have the horses and dogs licking the road!

And if they stick to it, the resulting traffic jams could be catastrophic, especially if they have tongues like [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McSYuPCDxBg"]this one[/ame]:

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
Cant say that I've seen much evidence of gritters up here.

Last year and this the local Health Authority gave £1m to the County Council specifically to help clear the minor roads and footpaths in major strategic areas, like schools and doctors surgeries, in the hope it would cut down accidents/broken bones. Friday I had to dig myself (car) out on three occasions just getting to the doctors and back.

nick dv

Reaction score
Gritters, what gritters? Been telling us the last couple of weeks how they have new mini gritters, a million extra tons of grit etc, etc, and guess what no gritters, and the news reporter saying how once again the councils were caught out by the weather!:mad: Probably saving it all for the bad weather!

Whatever next, leaves on the line.................................?

Cheers, Nick :)

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
We have had a gritter our way - along the main road through our village - which is flat. All the roads off (most of them bus routes, and none of them really minor) have been left to it, mainly the preserve of 4x4 drivers as some of them are quite steep.

Side roads off those on our estate have been dug out be residents, as the main road though the estate has started to melt under the sun and the traffic of the normally maligned 4x4s.

flightliner

Reaction score
Whats a gritter ????
Its some poor sod living on a side road looking for salt in an empty grit bin that was never filled in the first place. On sunday all the fit guys on my road were out shovelling eighteen inches of snow for about four hours, there are piles of the stuff ten feet hi now!
I hope the council knocks it off there council tax(some fat chance)!!

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
Heard a BBC R5 roaming reporter saying that a chap on the road he lives had hired a snow plough and waggon to shift the snow and ice and would be going round the neighbours asking for contributions to cover the costs.

When asked what would happen if people didn't want to contribute? Reply was, there is about 3/4 mile of snow and ice and it has to go somewhere. Kind of implying it would be dumped in front of the none payers houses :D