abu 706 problems

newbieneil

Reaction score
I recently bought an abu garcia 706 in the hope that it would make my river/float fishing more efficient but all its done is hinder me!....the problem is the instant anti reverse doesnt always click in and even if your only winding in/back as opposed to winding into a strike which i was told was the whole idea of this function,then unles you realise straight away it creates a right tangle underneath the spool and around the main axle mechanism...my line gets covered in grease and all kinked up causing me to have to have to break it all down and set back up again.

does anyone else have this problem ?...is it just a school boy error or is there something wrong with my reel?

any help or guidance much appreciated
Neil

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Have you wound off the Syncro (clutch control) too far?

There's a switch for anti-reverse on the back, but I'm assuming you don't mean that.

The Syncro drag (set through the knob on the handle [picture below] and activated by back-winding the handle a fraction) is only meant to be slightly less than the full on locked up drag. It's not a baitrunner in that respect, just meant to give the fish a little bit more line when it wants it in a fight.

files.php

newbieneil

Reaction score
hi jeff, the problem is caused by the front button not clicking back out when backwinding (when set to anti reverse) i was told by the person that sold it that you can almost just reel in to hit a bite-as opposed to having to flick the bale arm back on or trap the line with an open faced/fixed spool reel?...but what happens is that even if i dont get a bite,when i go to reel back in to start the trot again,the button doesnt click in -im winding like a mad thing to get the float back from half a mile away and all thats happening is the line is bunching up and winding around the main axle thats underneeth the spool

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Sounds like a line-control issue: slack line is the enemy, big-style, with closed-face reels - doubly so in a headwind.
Always strike with a finger trapping the line so all is tight between reel and float, and then start winding. The pin comes round behind your finger and takes the line off it, whereupon you curl the finger out of the way and carry on winding. The line isn't given a chance to develop slack that can get behind the reel.
Likewise, at the end of a biteless trot, drop the finger to trap the line, swing the rod round, as per striking but more gently, until the line goes taut across your finger, then begin winding,
See if acquiring that habit helps, and please report back, for the benefit of silent lurkers with the same problem!

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
i was told by the person that sold it that you can almost just reel in to hit a bite-as opposed to having to flick the bale arm back on or trap the line with an open faced/fixed spool reel?.
Well, I'm afraid he did tell you wrong.

Try Alan's method. It's very easy to get used to, I've been using them for 40odd years now and never had a problem, but if yours persists it might be a fault with that reel.

is caused by the front button not clicking back out when backwinding (when set to anti reverse)
That statement is what's confusing me. You can't backwind with the anti-reverse set so do you mean "winding back"?

Bit of a difference, back-winding is when you're playing a fish and it wants to take more line, you turn the handle the opposite way to pay line off at a controlled rate. Some people like to use this method, others prefer to let the drag (or clutch) do the work for them.

Winding back is retrieving the tackle or playing the fish. If this is what you mean then Alan's recommendation will sort it.

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
time too check the operation of the reels parts ,twist the spool cover off ,give the handle a quick turn .the winding pin should be out ,press the front button (this retracts the pins) the pin should pop back inside the winding cup ,if so the button is working correctly .

now with the pin retracted turn the handle forwards the pin should pop out again ,if so the trip mechanism is working ok

next job is too set the drag correctly ,this is a two part process as its actually a double operating drag ,a standard slipping drag that overcomes the winding mechanism making it slip.And a extra reduction drag .

set up a rod ,and thread your line .tie the end of the line too something
put the reel into anti reverse (the switch is between the handle and reel stem) .now make sure the handle is in the forward (normal position) .
wind up the drag knob on the handle tight .
take up the slack in the line using the rod upright ,then twist of the spool cover .and increase the pressure on the line by leavering back until your rod is bent between 45-60* or the line snaps (if it snaps ,re-tie it and apply pressure until just before the point it snapped) and hold the tension and slacken off the drag knob a fraction at a time untill reel .just starts to slip and it ready .

you don't set the reduction/reserve drag ,the second action of the drag is too add a 50% reduction in the set standard drag ,and operated by a quarter back turn against the anti-reverse

set this way you can play a fish using only the slipping standard drag that is set quite high but below the breaking strain of your line (80%) only a strong pull will take line and you can strike and set hook easily ,if however you feel a softer drag is needed as a fish takes a sudden lunge ,you quickly can switch in, the reduced second drag .you switch it in then off ,not play fish on it or you'll get line twist and possibly tangles

then too release/take off this drag (it'll be stiff the release being new) you press your fingertip inbetween the spool cover and silver winding cup (the gap the line comes out off) and clamp down hard ,then push the handle forwards ,back too the normal position .prime and ready.

its actually better not too use the drags untill really needed ,start with the anti-reverse off and backwind with fish too small too pull line from the reel (upto 5lbs say) then if you doo hook something bigger you switch in the anti-reverse and play big fish off the slipping drag and use the second reduction drag as a emergancy drag ,ideally as a initial softer drag too deal with the first big lunges then take it off too fight the fish then flick it back on as your about too net the fish just incase it spooks .

the snyncro drag isn't the most user friendly which is why most people used too fix the older versions of these reels (the 500 series) by removing the anti-reverse pawl (as it wasn't switchable) and just wind up the drag real tight and just rely on backwinding ,as most of the fish they was targeting where less than 5lbs .but the 706 has a switchable anti-reverse so its just a matter of setting the drag right .

if you set the first slipping drag too light you might encounter problems setting the hook at distance .and if you where too operate the emergancy / reduction drag ,it'll drop this slipping rate already lightly set by 50% making it even slacker causing nothing but headaches all round.

thats why you set the slipping drag on the high side so when it is ,reduced by the second drag it'll take you down from 80% of the b/s too around 50% giving firm but soft drag setting .

one thing is essential is that you don't give any slack line or you may fail too pick up the line with the winding pin causing tangles.

Last edited:

elliottwaters

Reaction score
Good advice here from Chavender. Only things you need to remember when using a closed face reel try to avoid letting the line go slack and don’t overfill the spool. Apart from that they are foolproof. When trotting what I do is to place my fore finger on the release button, let the line trickle out and when you get a bite, or at the end of the trot, simply wind the handle to engage the pick up in.

If you play fish on the drag rather than the backwind, don’t set it too loose. I set mine so the reel will only give line once the rod is keeled over and you suspect that the line is coming close to breaking point. Then, by simply back winding a quarter turn you can quickly give line if you hook a good ‘un that wants to take off, but still maintain pressure in order to tire the fish. Set the drag too loose and there is a risk that when trotting and you get a bite that the pick up pin won’t engage.

I’ve been using closed face reels for ages and in my view they are unsurpassed for trotting (apologies to any centre pin aficionados). I bought a 706 a few months ago and think it’s a cracking reel for float fishing on both rivers and still waters. The drag is much better than on the old 500 series, and unlike the 500s it has an anti reverse so you can play fish on the backwind if you want too.

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
Apologies to hijack .... but i currently have a Abu Diplomat 602m. Can anyone tell me if the 706 a big improvement on this model ??

chavender

Reaction score
Apologies to hijack .... but i currently have a Abu Diplomat 602m. Can anyone tell me if the 706 a big improvement on this model ??

a Shakespeare international match ,would be a improvement if looks was a concern .the 602 is a fugly little thing , the 602 isn't the best abu produced .

a lot would depend on how often it was too be used ,if its too be used a lot then go for a 706 ,if only a few times then stick with the 602 and muggle through

personally ,i'd sell the 602 on e-bay and put the tenner towards a new 706.

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
a Shakespeare international match ,would be a improvement if looks was a concern .the 602 is a fugly little thing , the 602 isn't the best abu produced .

a lot would depend on how often it was too be used ,if its too be used a lot then go for a 706 ,if only a few times then stick with the 602 and muggle through

personally ,i'd sell the 602 on e-bay and put the tenner towards a new 706.

thanks again mate.

newbieneil

Reaction score
thanks for all the info guys...im trying to weigh up the pro`s and cons for keeping the thing really ,if its me causing the problem then i can learn to get over that but otherwise its goin on ebay! chavender-it could be that i have indeed filled the spool too much so i`ll have to check that ,im using drennan floatfish in 4lb (if that makes any difference to my problems?)....and jeff,sorry...i meant `reel in` not `backwind`. holding the line when reeling in does help to engage the pick-up pin but surely it should just pop back out as soon as you start reeling in?

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
surely it should just pop back out as soon as you start reeling in?
Yes, it should.

Try Chavender's tip, remove the front cover and press the front cone, see that the pin/s retract. Then turn the handle forward and see if they coem back out immediately!

If they don't, remove the cone (as per instructions) and take a look insdie it to see if anything obvious is getting in the way. If it's clear, perhaps drop a little (I mean a LITTLE) oil onto the moving parts and see if that helps.

If not, take it back to shop - it's faulty.

If it seems all OK but you just can't get used to it, I'll buy it for a tenner! ;) ;) ;) I love them - see this (and I finally got the Gold 507 mentioned at the end!)

chavender

Reaction score
look inside the front cone for a ¼" length of mono stuck under the retaining clip

2889506_cap-1.jpg

an old problem ,after line is tangled up inside often a small fragment gets left behind trapped under the 6 sided retaining clip (box spring) .it stops the clip from applying proper pressure on the pin sledge (black plastic bit) which prevents the pin retracting .

the button on the front of the winding cup (front cone) presses against the pin sledges latch that clicks into the recess ,the box sping not only holds the pin sledge in place ,this clip / box spring act as a return spring for the button .looks inane but is a crucial part ,if its not functioning ,the reel doesn't work .and can be foiled by just a mear fragment of line trapped under it .

it's been a problem for many a closed faced reel not working in the past.if you remove the winding cup (take off the spool cover and twist the winding cup clockwise to loosen it then spin it off) push the black sledge forwards until it clicks into place (latch drops into recess) then press the black button on the front while observing the operation ,

the sledge should lift (against the box springs pressure) and shoot back towards the centre (driven back by the spring on the pin) .the box spring pushes back the buttons under carrage .

if something isn't right and theres no foreign object found ,send the reel back .its obviously a friday reel (made on a friday) so has a manufactoring fault .

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Matchmen used to love them because they gave so much one-handed control - you press the button to release the line and the line comes onto your finger, you cast and feather the line, control the float and strike with the same finger - you only need the other hand for winding in; the rest of the time it can be feeding!
As you begin to wind in, the pick-up pin comes round from the back of your finger and takes the line up without that moment of slack that roach love and Mitchell users, and left-handed users of modern so-called "ambidextrous" reels, hate.
Also, they tend to be very well-behaved in a wind, once you've got the slack-line gremlins reined in. A direct "facer" can still be a bit of a p.i.t.a., but less so than any other reel.
Of course, I'm talking here about semi-closed face reels; those with a line-release button in the middle of the face and an annular opening through which the line peels.
Fully closed face jobs, where the line comes out of a small hole in the centre of the face and the release is either a trigger or a thumb-lever on the back of the reel are aimed at lure-fishing mostly USA-style from boats. From my (very) limited experience, they are completely wind-proof, though if you feed them slack line, they'll chew it.

Andrew Macfarlane

Reaction score
Matchmen used to love them because they gave so much one-handed control - you press the button to release the line and the line comes onto your finger, you cast and feather the line, control the float and strike with the same finger - you only need the other hand for winding in; the rest of the time it can be feeding!
As you begin to wind in, the pick-up pin comes round from the back of your finger and takes the line up without that moment of slack that roach love and Mitchell users, and left-handed users of modern so-called "ambidextrous" reels, hate.
Also, they tend to be very well-behaved in a wind, once you've got the slack-line gremlins reined in.

That's all the selling I needed. Since I've taken up speed fishing for rudd, I can really appreciate the free hand for feeding part. I tried one not too long ago on the bank, while talking to a bloke and it was quite nice to operate but I was too busy talking tench to ask about the reel. Can't recall which model he had but it was an old refurbished model he had. He reckoned there wasn't a better type. Wish I had written it down now.

Is the 706 the way to go or is there a better refurb model to look out for??

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
As a southpaw, my experience is limited to the little Shakespeare Match International - a bit ropey - and the Abu 508 - pretty awesome. If you could get your paws on a 507, you've got a reel rugged enough for salmon and pike spinning, subtle enough for light gear. Only prob is the quirky "fighting drag" - backwind the handle a tad, and the clutch setting drops about 50%, enabling the fish to run. When it stops, start winding, and the clutch is back to its original setting.
I was trying to play a barbel when this feature drew itself to my attention. Good job fishing trousers tend to be brown.

Perhaps a new "Which semi-closed face" thread?