Reels for float fishing ??

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
I'm traditionally a fan of closed face reels for trotting and need to replace one of my reels. Do i go for the new Abu 706 closed face or for an open faced reel. I havent used a traditonal reel for trotting since about 1985 & the tangles still haunt me now (i was a kid).
So are modern open reels better for trotting or should i stick with closed face.

Budget of about £50 and must come with at least 1 shallow spool ... open to suggestions

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Stick with what you like.

I've heard mixed reviews of modern closed face reels. My mate is a big cf fan,bought one of the latest ABU's and pronounced it "a crock of sh*te". I'm a pin man out of choice but I do use a 30 year old 501 from time to time and its as good as the day I bought it. Just a thought but maybe a good s/h 501/506 is worth considering as they are generally recognised as among the best c/f reels ever produced.

There's another thread on the go currently about the 706. Not very encouraging.

I remember a site somewhere where the guy sells re-conditioned & serviced old model ABU's. Worth googling.

Last edited:

mitron

Reaction score
reels for float fishing

have a look on ebay usually a few 501 and 506s for sale m8

nick dv

Reaction score
I havent the first clue how to use a centre pin :(

I agree with Skippy, it really isn't that difficult. Master the Wallis cast, and you won't look back when float fishing. Have a look at this vid, not brilliant quality and I am sure you'll find others but it will give you an idea [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHBFJihcoB4&NR=1]YouTube - The Art of Wallis Casting part 2[/ame]

Cheers, Nick :)

guest61

Reaction score
I'm traditionally a fan of closed face reels for trotting and need to replace one of my reels. Do i go for the new Abu 706 closed face or for an open faced reel. I havent used a traditonal reel for trotting since about 1985 & the tangles still haunt me now (i was a kid).
So are modern open reels better for trotting or should i stick with closed face.

Budget of about £50 and must come with at least 1 shallow spool ... open to suggestions

I have a 'soft spot' for a Diawa 123m - one of the early ones without a clutch, but I tend to use it infrequently, and then more on still waters, but its a decent piece of equipment.

I tend to use a Diawa TDR for trotting if I'm honest I'm not 100% happy with it, but its an expensive game buying reels to 'evaluate'. As for tangles I feel that I get more tangles with fixed spool reels that have the skirt of the spool exposed (such as the TDR) - I've recently serviced a Mitchell 'Match' that I've owned for over 30 years when I get to putting some line on it - I'm going to promote it to my tackle bag.

Mark

mitron

Reaction score
reels for float fishing

on the centre pin front do you recommend one with a linegard i was looking at an okuma model today does anyone own one all feedback appreciated

A

alan whittington

Numb mate,i would go for an open faced reel,find a shimano at the price you can afford,or possibly the drennan(im not sure how good they are though)either new or on e-bay,with two shallow spools,the line lay and smoothness of a reel about the price your looking for,is impossible to find in any closed face and unless your going to go back to school to learn how to fish the 'pin',thats not an option imo,in spite of comments to the contrary,hope you find the answer.

nick dv

Reaction score
Numb mate,i would go for an open faced reel,find a shimano at the price you can afford,or possibly the drennan(im not sure how good they are though)either new or on e-bay,with two shallow spools,the line lay and smoothness of a reel about the price your looking for,is impossible to find in any closed face and unless your going to go back to school to learn how to fish the 'pin',thats not an option imo,in spite of comments to the contrary,hope you find the answer.

I agree and disagree here. I don't think that you neccessarily need to go back to school to learn the 'pin, but I do agree with using the Shimanos, a good open faced reel for float fishing.

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback, decided to try the Center Pin & have ordered the cheapie Marco Cortesi one that gets good reviews.

A

alan whittington

Thanks for all the feedback, decided to try the Center Pin & have ordered the cheapie Marco Cortesi one that gets good reviews.
Ive not heard of the reel in question,but if its under £50 i would say its rubbish for trotting and would have thought the cheapest 'pin' of any use for that would be the okuma,unless someone knows different.
Nick,if you think that casting a float to the far bank of say a twenty yard river and run the tackle through there can be picked in a jiffy i would say your wrong,not only that floats tend to be of a decent size and bulk shotted for the pin to be at its best,everyone to their own,but if you wanted me to teach someone how to floatfish a flowing river(and ive taught a few)its an open face for me im afraid,even though i enjoy my aerial i find it limited in its usage,unlike a shimano,which can do most things.:w

A

alan whittington

Thanks Jeff,have you tried trotting a 3no.4 stick on it?;):j

nick dv

Reaction score
Alan, maybe I misunderstood the original point. I thought that Mr Numb was going back to float fishing, and tbh had not really considered any lengthy cast that he may have to make, (the rivers I fish can be cast across using a 'pin). As I said, I agree with you about the Shimanos, and I have one with a shallow spool kept in reserve at all times ;)

A

alan whittington

Alan, maybe I misunderstood the original point. I thought that Mr Numb was going back to float fishing, and tbh had not really considered any lengthy cast that he may have to make, (the rivers I fish can be cast across using a 'pin). As I said, I agree with you about the Shimanos, and I have one with a shallow spool kept in reserve at all times ;)

I wasnt having a pop Nick,i just feel the 'pin' is a very limited option,unless in relatively expert hands,as i say,i cant see it being possible to trot a small stick properly with a pin,its just horses for courses in my view,we are both singing from a similar hymn sheet,slightly different key though.:)

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
To be honest, i would not of even considered getting a pin, had it not been so cheap. It will be something i can learn i hope ;)

A

alan whittington

Now,thats different,you will definitely be able to pick up how to fish it and what the limitations are,enjoy Numb mate,its a great way to fish(just cant do as much with it):w.