french carp

C

christian tyroll

i could be compleatly wrong but why are the carp in france bigger? it is weather,(seems to be the same as england in northen france)more bait going in? natural food? or are the carp not bigger but more of the bigger weights? if so why?

sorry about this ive just been thinking, its a first!

T

The Monk

been there longer mate plus generally larger waters, in addition the French have farmed carp for food and was probably stocking much earlier than us, add to this carp came overland through France many years ago, probably originally brought over by the Romans for food. Many of the European countries have farmed and still eat carp, in Britian apart from probably the Romans and my great great grandads the Monks, generally the British palate doesnt go for carp. The king carp varieties, Mirrors, linear and leather etc, these are manmade genetically modified throw backs from the original Wild strains were essentially farmed in Europe, the ideology behind it was to farm a scaless (leather carp) which didnt need de-scaling for the table.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

The linear scaled carp was no doubt created because although a fish without scales is easier to cook, orthodox Jews will not eat a fish with no scales.

T

The Monk

by comparison they are but these countries I believe are relatively untapped, Russia however has a colder climate doesnt it

T

The Monk

where that lake Ratunda or whatever its called isnt that in one of the Baltic states?

T

The Monk

phew yeah, wouldnt mind mate. I love of those Eastern European waters are still relatively untapped of course

Malc Bason

Reaction score
Would be nice - wonder if the have any Ruffe Slappers in Eastern Europe?? LOL

If not, I'm sure we could rustle up a few 'Bivvie Bitches' from the UK to mate the tea for us. ;o)

T

The Monk

haha, plenty of ruffe slappers in Eastern Europe, trust me on that one Malc, in fact ask Ron, some of those Polish women are real dolls if you dont mind the smell of salami.

R

RobD

A lot of English anglers putting in much more food for these carp than ever, I'd imagine that has quite a big effect on the froggie carp growth rates, maybe more than anything else?

F

Frothey

thought that the record has gone twice since then....first from rainbow lakes then from one of like moffats?

there were upper 70's in cassien in the early 80's, long before the mass bait campaigns, a lot of the european strains are more "foody" than ours, they grow quick, but die young.

that, and lots of crayfish!