No Moaning.

thx1138

Reaction score
I am thinking of asking my local club to put a 'No Moaning' notice on the gate of our fishery.

Lately, every angler I bump into when out fishing seems to want to have a good moan about something.
If it's not otters, then it's cormorants. If it's not the Angling Trust, then it's the EA. If it's not the club's stocking policy, then it's a corrupt committee.
'The rivers are too polluted'. No, now 'the rivers are too clean'.
'There's no small fish left'. Scratch that.. 'the big fish have all been eaten'.
Crayfish, shrimps and eastern europeans are all invading and nobody's doing anything to stop them.
Everyone's got an opinion. Everything's the end of our sport as we know it.

I used to stand there and nod in quiet agreement, hoping that they would get it off their chest quickly and move on. But some anglers seem to enjoy their moaning more than their angling, and it is getting harder to stop myself from telling them to get a life and leave me alone.

The last guy I met out fishing didnt even have the courtesey to say 'hello', or 'had much?'. He just gave me a weary glance as our paths crossed, and without warning launched into a tirade about how the river used to be full of this and that, and how it's all changed, and how it was everyone's but his fault. Regardless of the validity of his arguments, or the truths in his tales, I found it plain rude that he felt compelled to disclose them to me, a complete stranger, whilst I was out enjoying myself.

Save it for the forums I say. Save it for the club AGM.
Would anyone back me up on a 'no moaning when out fishing' policy? :D

mol

Reaction score
I am thinking of asking my local club to put a 'No Moaning' notice on the gate of our fishery.

That'll never happen. Anglers need something to blame other than themselves when they blank or have a bad day.

Reaction score
James...you trying to put this forum out of business??!!!! Do you know just how hard it is to get people to contribute on here, and the hours we mods put in just staring at the screen for days on end; with not a sniff of misbehaviour and inappropriateness ? I wouldn't mind but do we ever get as much as a passing spool of line when we shamelessly plug a product on our own post...and if I see another word written about poo, or otters, or blooming diving birds or barbel...well I tell you...and my backs giving me terrible grief since I've had to sit here...

Actually you're dead right...don't know if you're in the same club as me but if we meet on the bank we'll have a good happy chat...:):D:w:cool:

that's if ever this cold weather stops, and then the rivers will be full of cold water melt...then they'll flood and then it will be the close season and what's the point of that since we can't fish the rivers for half a century and rods ain't what they used to be and how comes ....oh what's the point of it all??

thx1138

Reaction score
James...you trying to put this forum out of business??!!!!

Oh no paul, quite the contrary. :eek: Forums like FM are the ideal place to air the views. I'd actively encourage it. Get it all of your chest. Just not on my peaceful riverbank, ok? :)

The beauty here is.. your audience has a choice. They can choose not to log in, not to pay attention, not to reply, etc.

Dont get me wrong, I can moan with the best of them, but I just think the riverbank should be left sacred for polite pleasantries, and the pursuit of fish!

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
James, if you haven't already, do not start match fishing.
Talk about moans, "my peg had no features, flipping swans, how can you call that parrot cage a peg ? someone filled this peg in yesterday, why do we keep fishing at this rubbish venue?" and it goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on.............................

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
What you need James, is a sign to remind the miserable swine that; "A bad days fishing beats a good days working".

Andrew Macfarlane

Reaction score
I know I moan on occasion but I generally try to keep my fish talk fairly upbeat on forums (unless someone needs addressing...lol) and on the bank.

It's your day out after all. Why spend money and time getting to the bank, just to bitch and complain?

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Its why I walk to the other side of the lake.......

Some people just dont realise how lucky they are....nice piece of water in front of them,birds singing,ducks arguing and the sun just peeping through the trees and all they can do is prattle on about how badly the water is fishing!
Its the same people who go to the same swim,use the same float,sit in the sunniest swim on the lake(this also being the nearest to the car)and bang in rodrests with a mallet........

D&mn it-I've just noticed I must've left my hammer on the bank last week.........................and if I dont catch that 30lb'er this week I shan't be going back-£25 a YEAR for a ticket-its a disgrace!!

rains

Reaction score

Lately, every angler I bump into when out fishing seems to want to have a good moan about something.
If it's not otters, then it's cormorants. If it's not the Angling Trust, then it's the EA. If it's not the club's stocking policy, then it's a corrupt committee.
'The rivers are too polluted'. No, now 'the rivers are too clean'.
'There's no small fish left'. Scratch that.. 'the big fish have all been eaten'.
Crayfish, shrimps and eastern europeans are all invading and nobody's doing anything to stop them.
Everyone's got an opinion. Everything's the end of our sport as we know it.

I used to stand there and nod in quiet agreement, hoping that they would get it off their chest quickly and move on. But some anglers seem to enjoy their moaning more than their angling, and it is getting harder to stop myself from telling them to get a life and leave me alone.

The last guy I met out fishing didnt even have the courtesey to say 'hello', or 'had much?'. He just gave me a weary glance as our paths crossed, and without warning launched into a tirade about how the river used to be full of this and that, and how it's all changed, and how it was everyone's but his fault. Regardless of the validity of his arguments, or the truths in his tales, I found it plain rude that he felt compelled to disclose them to me, a complete stranger, whilst I was out enjoying myself.

Save it for the forums I say. Save it for the club AGM.
Would anyone back me up on a 'no moaning when out fishing' policy? :D
I find you post very ironic lol